Has the Republican nomination ever been up for grabs? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Has the Republican nomination ever been up for grabs? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the Republican nomination ever been up for grabs?  (Read 2599 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« on: May 12, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »

It seems that the Republican nomination ALWAYS goes to the anointed candidate.  I know that the 2008 nomination felt contested as there seemed to be a new front-runner every week (Giuliani, Romney, Thompson, Huckabee, McCain), but the nomination ended up going to the last major contender who didn't make it (McCain). 

In 2000, all of the prominent Republicans were tripping over each other to support George W. Bush.  I was amazed that they picked Bush over McCain.  Bush was already known for being dumb and didn't even know the names of most foreign leaders.  Bush was also known as a draft-dodging hawk while McCain had once been a war hero.  I couldn't believe that prominent Republicans were tripping over each other to support a draft-dodging hawk over a former war hero after they spent 8 years bashing Clinton for not fighting in the Vietnam War.  Remember that Clinton was against the war, so he wasn't being a hypocrite like Bush.

In 1996, all of the prominent Republicans were tripping over each other to support Bob Dole after he lost the nomination to Bush Sr. 8 years earlier.

In 1988, Bush Sr., Reagan's vice president, won the nomination.

In 1980, Reagan (Ford's primary opponent of 1976) won the nomination.

It seems to me that the Republican nomination is always orchestrated.  I get the feeling that the 2008 nomination was also orchestrated, but the orchestration was much better concealed.

When was the last time the Republican nomination was up for grabs?  Was Nixon the anointed one in 1968?  Was Goldwater the anointed one in 1964?  Was Eisenhower the anointed one in 1952?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies