2008 Irish Lisbon Treaty Referendum.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:29:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2008 Irish Lisbon Treaty Referendum.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: 2008 Irish Lisbon Treaty Referendum.  (Read 30019 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »

Hashemite, what is this disaster that will occur unless the constitution is adopted? In fact, weren't we told that it would be a disaster if Nice wasn't adopted? Nice was adopted and now it is a disaster! It's the same with every new EU treaty. I haven't noted any trouble emerging from the EU bureaucrats' lack of regulatory power. The less they have, the better for Europe. Our only chance of getting anywhere lies in not getting strangled by a bloated EU with decision-making power in more and more fields.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2008, 05:04:59 AM »

Not all that far off. Clare and Carlow-Kilkenny were very marginal, and Laois-Offaly was clearly Cowen's personal vote showing up. That just leaves Dublin and Dublin commuterland. So pretty much The Pale vs Ireland.

53%
Enough that many thought equated to a win for YES the night before counting began.

I was on the Lower Pomeranian Coast and had to rely on newspaper frontpages for coverage.

Dare I ask what the German media make of the result?
Oh, you know. Everybody is in a flutter, the result is a total shock. They were mostly reporting on politician reactions, in Germany, in Ireland, and even EU-wide, not on the actual vote.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2008, 05:42:43 AM »

It's looking increasingly like the Government will have little option but to re-run the referendum at some point next year. Sarkozy and Merkel seem none to keen on disgarding Lisbon, and only the Czechs have been making any seemingly genuine comments that hint at the idea that maybe Lisbon should be done away with.

Though I think a 2nd referendum could be win, at least in theory, I'm not sure TPTB here have the smarts to pull it off.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »

It's looking increasingly like the Government will have little option but to re-run the referendum at some point next year. Sarkozy and Merkel seem none to keen on disgarding Lisbon, and only the Czechs have been making any seemingly genuine comments that hint at the idea that maybe Lisbon should be done away with.
...and that is not related to the Irish vote at all.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »

'Flash' Eurobarometer Poll conducted after the referendum

Below table shows the brakdown of the % support for each party and how they reportly voted on the Lisbon Treaty.

PartyPolledYESNO
Fianna Fáil416040
Fine Gael205149
Labour94555
Green64357
Sinn Féin6595
Progressive Dems26931
Other173961
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »

Though I think a 2nd referendum could be win, at least in theory, I'm not sure TPTB here have the smarts to pull it off.

A second Treaty would be dead-on-arrival. 2 days ago, the Austrian Social Democrats backed away from ratifying an upcoming Treaty in parliament. They now favor a nationwide referendum. The latest polls show Austrians opposed 30-60 to the Lisbon Treaty. Such a treaty won´t get the thumbs up by the Austrian electorate, you can count on that ... Wink

There´s also no majority for the 2 remaining parties who favor parliamentary ratification (ÖVP+Greens). SPÖ+FPÖ+BZÖ have 96 seats, ÖVP+Greens just 87. The Reform Treaty would only take effect if the SPÖ flip-flops back to their old position or if the (in Austria) already ratified Treaty were to be approved by the Irish in a new vote ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2008, 02:29:34 AM »

A second Treaty would be dead-on-arrival. 2 days ago, the Austrian Social Democrats backed away from ratifying an upcoming Treaty in parliament. They now favor a nationwide referendum. The latest polls show Austrians opposed 30-60 to the Lisbon Treaty. Such a treaty won´t get the thumbs up by the Austrian electorate, you can count on that ... Wink

There´s also no majority for the 2 remaining parties who favor parliamentary ratification (ÖVP+Greens). SPÖ+FPÖ+BZÖ have 96 seats, ÖVP+Greens just 87. The Reform Treaty would only take effect if the SPÖ flip-flops back to their old position or if the (in Austria) already ratified Treaty were to be approved by the Irish in a new vote ...

New Gallup/Ö24 poll shows just 37% of Austrians in favor of the treaty, with 45% opposed. 18% are undecided. A rather slim gap, for all the EU-bashing that is going on right now. Especially Green voters and Conservatives would vote for the Treaty ...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies