GOP cancer: Party could lose 20 more seats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:14:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP cancer: Party could lose 20 more seats  (Read 1089 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »

From Politico

By JOHN F. HARRIS & JOSH KRAUSHAAR | 5/14/08 8:09 PM EST

For the past 18 months, ever since the 2006 elections, congressional Republicans have been like a hospital patient trying to convince visitors that he is not really all that sick: a bit under the weather; actually feel better than I sound; should be up and about any day; thanks for asking.

Suddenly — belatedly — all pretense is gone.

The Republican defeat in Tuesday’s special election in Mississippi, in a deeply conservative district where, in an average year, Democrats cannot even compete, was a clear sign that the GOP has the political equivalent of cancer that has spread throughout the body. Many House GOP operatives are privately predicting that the party could easily lose up to 20 seats this fall.

Combined with the 30 seats that the GOP lost in 2006, that would leave the party facing a 70-vote deficit against Democrats in the House — a state of powerlessness reminiscent of Republicans’ long wilderness years in the 1960s and ’70s.

Things are not particularly more hopeful on the Senate side, where most analysts say Democrats have a strong chance of adding five or more seats to their current majority.

Panic and blame-casting for the dire condition were flowing in equal measures Wednesday inside the House Republican Conference and among party elders and operatives outside.

[Rest of article at link]
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

Perhaps.  I'd love to spend one day after an election doing something other than drinking and crying like a little girl.

But if I have learned anything about my beloved Democrat Party -- it's that we have mastered the art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

Yeah, you guys are going to get [deservingly] raped in the senate and house this election but at least you still have a good shot at the White House.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2008, 03:41:00 PM by Theodore Roosevelt »

Perhaps.  I'd love to spend one day after an election doing something other than drinking and crying like a little girl.

But if I have learned anything about my beloved Democrat Party -- it's that we have mastered the art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sadly, thats true.  We do have a bad habit of making nothing out of something.  I'm sadly kind of afraid that the Democrats are doing their best to hand John McCain the keys to the White House on a silver platter.  In an election where the Democrats should mop the floor with the Republicans, for McCain to be within a mere 5 points of Obama, is yet another sign that the Democrats are growing more content with Nancy Pelosi being the highest ranking Democrat in America.

We should mop the Senate and House chamber floors, but hopefully we can mop another Office.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 03:40:15 PM »

Congressional Republicans are paying the price for servishly giving the inept Bush a free hand. At least, a Democratic president would have the Blue Dogs acting as a force of fiscal restraint from within

Still, in nominating McCain, there is a chance that the party should mitigate their losses

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies