Whose precinct would you rather live in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Whose precinct would you rather live in?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Whose precinct would you rather live in?
mine (BRTD)

Keystone Phil's

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Whose precinct would you rather live in?  (Read 4156 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »

See my name for voting records. In Phil's it was Obama who didn't get over 25%, though I assume Bush got slaughtered as well (though no doubt not as greatly.)

Also worth noting in relation to my results: though whites are only a plurality (about 40-45%), they're pretty much the only ones voting. Only about half the blacks vote (many are Somali and likely not even eligible) and basically none of the non-whites/blacks vote at all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 01:11:01 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2008, 01:12:49 AM by President Keystone Phil »

See my name for voting records. In Phil's it was Obama who didn't get over 25%, though I assume Bush got slaughtered as well (though no doubt not as greatly.)

I believe it was something like 56% - 44% for Kerry. I live in an area with good Republican representation despite the Dem registration advantage.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And my precinct might be 2% black at most.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »

LOL. My parents' neighborhood in North Dakota is probably less white than Phil's.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:21:23 AM »

LOL. My parents' neighborhood in North Dakota is probably less white than Phil's.

We have certain sections that have heavy black populations not too far away. NE Philly's best known housing project is about a five minute drive from my house. There is also a heavy black population in apartment complexs in my area of the NE.

More and more blacks are moving into areas in NE Philly but my neighborhood (Torresdale) is in "the Far Northeast" so we haven't had as much of an spike in black residency. I live in the top right hand corner above the "56":

http://phillyneighborhoods.org/Organizing-Phila/Neighborhood_Transformation/2000Census/PhillyPopulationMap.gif
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:05 AM »

Close to Byberry State Hospital?  Ever go exploring before they tore it all down?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:33:27 AM »

Close to Byberry State Hospital?  Ever go exploring before they tore it all down?

Oh God no! That place scared the hell out of me. The old site (which will soon be the new home of a 55+ community) is about five to ten minutes away from my house. I get creeped out just driving by. In fact, I think seeing the empty grounds is a bit more eerie than having to look at the old buildings. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos of the inside and some of the sick stuff that people still did in there not too long ago. We're talking Satanic rituals, animal sacrifice, etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »

Yeah.  I'm a wanna be "urban explorer".  Nothing all that cool around here to look at and I lack the balls to try anyway Smiley  I love looking at the creepy pictures on the internet though.  Byberry is one of my favorites. 

Bannerman's Castle is probably my favorite though.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »

Phil's, as I don't think I could stand to live in close proximity to BRTD.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 06:25:45 PM »

BRTD's, because living in Philadelphia does not sound fun.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 07:47:49 PM »

Phil's.  One, its warmer (thanks to the coast).  Two, I actually lived there, or in Philadelphia, for 5 weeks in June-July 2007.  I was on the west side in Bryn Mawr/Rosemont area at Rosemont College, though.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »

The Fergus Falls State Hospital in Fergus Falls, MN is still there and still in use (well, most of it is mothballed.. only about 200 people are in it, mostly for drug rehab, compared to a capacity of over 2000).  It is a Kirkbride building completed in 1906 after the Rochester and St. Peter mental asylums were over crowded.  The original two have since been demolished while this one has quite a following of people hoping to keep it standing and operational.

Here it was during construction in 1895.  Back then, the area was mostly treeless prairie, but over a century of cultivation and fire prevention have meant much of the area has now become forested.  When I saw the building in 2002, the whole area around Fergus Falls was forest broken by farm fields.

NDN
Uganda

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »

I've seen plenty of YouTube videos of the inside and some of the sick stuff that people still did in there not too long ago. We're talking Satanic rituals, animal sacrifice, etc.
Seriously? Send some links. I'd love to see.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »

I wish we still built huge monstrosities like that. (on the other hand what a huge waste of govt resources.  Just to lock up the less desirable away so we don't see what tortured a life they lived back then.  Thank God for the reforms in Sanitariums in the last couple of decades.)

Looks like it's gotten a coat of paint in the last decade or so Snowguy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2008, 10:28:35 PM by Torie »

Well this in 20 years out of date or so, but the rumor was, that Minneapolis was the best place in the nation in which to get laid, early and often. Thus it was hard to get younger single males to transfer out from the place. I'm serious!

I participated in a bridge tournament about 15 years ago in Minneapolis. I found the place surprisingly frumpy. Philly, the city, is a dump, but some of the suburbs are really beautiful.

And finally, I don't like cold weather, and less and less as I age away.

And there you have it!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:05 PM »

Phil's.  One, its warmer (thanks to the coast).  Two, I actually lived there, or in Philadelphia, for 5 weeks in June-July 2007.  I was on the west side in Bryn Mawr/Rosemont area at Rosemont College, though.

That is actually closer to my area.  Turn off the expressway at broad; go about a mile south. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »

Philly, the city, is a dump, but some of the suburbs are really beautiful.

Wrong. We have many very nice areas especially my neighborhood (right on the border with Bucks county).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 01:29:34 AM »

I've seen plenty of YouTube videos of the inside and some of the sick stuff that people still did in there not too long ago. We're talking Satanic rituals, animal sacrifice, etc.
Seriously? Send some links. I'd love to see.

Just search "Byberry Mental hospital" and you'll get plenty of videos.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 03:16:21 AM »

Why is there no "neither" choice?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: