Agnostic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Agnostic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Agnostic?  (Read 8200 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2008, 12:22:02 AM »
« edited: May 31, 2008, 12:25:00 AM by Torie »

I describe myself not as an agnostic, but as a near atheist. Agnostic to me suggests the existence of God is an even money bet. I think it is more like 10-1 against. The squibs in the post above me are quite interesting!  Tongue   Seriously, it is a mistake to box folks too much. There is a lot of a variety out there. I for one in general have no animus against religion, as long as it stays away from the cult category, defined here as a religion or theology that demands or provides incentives that truncates one's associations outside the cult, and punishes inquisitiveness.

Why do you think that? The sort of order we have inside our bodies and how that order is replicated throughout the ecosystem is interesting to say the least. How exactly the first microorganisms came to being is a good question. Evolution can very easily prove that we are decendents of these microorganisms but there is no definitive answer on how it all started. I
 doubt "god" exists in the form that we envision but the possibility of a creator, even in the distant past, is pretty good.

Yes, there is only one basic model for life on this planet, and nobody knows how life began (the theory of abiogenesis has not left the paddocks, and there is zero movement on that one, and scientists have no idea how to proceed from here), and we almost certainly will not know in our lifetimes, no matter how young you are, and probably will not know centuries hence, and might never know. Some things may remain eternal mysteries. If this is how one defines "God" then well, I just got religion!  Best.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies