Sen. Ted Kennedy's replacement?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:16:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sen. Ted Kennedy's replacement?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sen. Ted Kennedy's replacement?  (Read 9266 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

This is rather tasteless, imo.  Also, your screen name clearly indicates that you went to school in Oklahoma, just fyi.

Oklahoma is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, FAR more perferable to your two elite homestates.

Thanks for your advice, james.  You've never steered me wrong before.

LOL, Sam.

Actually -- I would have agreed with him.  If only he had included one more "far" in his statement.  Oh well, them's the breaks I guess.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »

I can only hope that Ted serves until his death. Although I may not agree with his policies, he's served with dignity, and is truely a great person.

I've already sent my bests to the family, I can only sit and hope for the best.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »

I know someone who is very involved in Massachusetts politics and she decided to weigh in on who will replace Kennedy if he cannot serve out his term. She's claiming that the Senator's wife, Vicki, will be selected.

I'm not going to say that the person who dished out the information is always the most credible but I figured I'd just let everyone know what I heard.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »

I know someone who is very involved in Massachusetts politics and she decided to weigh in on who will replace Kennedy if he cannot serve out his term. She's claiming that the Senator's wife, Vicki, will be selected.

I'm not going to say that the person who dished out the information is always the most credible but I figured I'd just let everyone know what I heard.

No one is getting "selected."  The odds of the field clearing for Kennedy's wife, IMHO, are quite slim indeed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When did we turn into Pakistan?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »

I'd like a source more reliable than the Daily News for something like that.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »

link

She may win via a crowded primary, but there's absolutely no way the field clears for her.  An open U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts is something that hasn't happened in the lifetime of a most of the posters here.  There's nothing to be gained by being a "team player" here if running for the Senate is something a Democrat seriously wants to do.

My preferred candidate, I think, would be Treasurer Cahill.  I'd vote for any Republican over Kennedy's wife—and this is coming from someone who cast a ballot for Sen. Kennedy just two years ago.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »

I can only hope that Ted serves until his death. Although I may not agree with his policies, he's served with dignity, and is truely a great person.

I've already sent my bests to the family, I can only sit and hope for the best.

I can echo that.  I don't agree with Kennedy on a whole heck of a lot of things, but there's definitely something to be said for having a guy with damn near 50 years of experience in the U.S. Senate going to bat for you every single day.

So long as he has the mental and physical capacity to serve, I hope he does.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »

i totally forgot about the chickensh**t move the mass legislature made when they deluded themselves into believing kerry could actually become president.

i really hope coakley runs.  id be a strong supporter and would gladly vote for her.

who would be the likely republican candidates?  hopefully the gop could find someone at least slightly better than ogonowski.  paul celluci?  jane swift?  kerry healey?  dare i say....mitt romney?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »

who would be the likely republican candidates?

I wonder if they'd even contest it. They always float the name of Charles Baker, the CEO of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, as if running an HMO endears you to voters.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »

I wonder if they'd even contest it. They always float the name of Charles Baker, the CEO of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, as if running an HMO endears you to voters.

i think baker is itching to take on patrick in 2010.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »

link

She may win via a crowded primary, but there's absolutely no way the field clears for her.  An open U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts is something that hasn't happened in the lifetime of a most of the posters here.  There's nothing to be gained by being a "team player" here if running for the Senate is something a Democrat seriously wants to do.

My preferred candidate, I think, would be Treasurer Cahill.  I'd vote for any Republican over Kennedy's wife—and this is coming from someone who cast a ballot for Sen. Kennedy just two years ago.

I think Patrick would prefer Cahill run as well as it would remove a possible primary challenger.   

Interesting note: If Kennedy resigns by July 8th or indicates his intention to, the special election primary will take place at the time of the regular statewide primary in September, and the general will coincide with the general in November. If Kennedy is serious about wanting Vicki to succeed him that would be the gambit. By holding the special this November he would eliminate most of the congressman from the equation because they would have to give up their seats to run(which they would not have to do next year), and it would provide only two summer months to campaign, which would benefit the family name.

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:26 PM »

For all people complain about HMOs, I was quite satisfied with the service I got with Harvard Pilgrim in particular.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »

So my source does have a bit more credibility than I thought...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »

link

Since HHH.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 07:47:55 PM »

For all people complain about HMOs, I was quite satisfied with the service I got with Harvard Pilgrim in particular.

I have not been. Used to be, but not recently. It's annoying have to call them back on every claim they deny which they then have to undeny.
Bluegrass Cruiser 420
Rookie
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »

I'm wondering if they will just pick one of the younger Kennedy family members simply out of tradition.  I'm not sure if there are any that would be available who would do any good but just sayin.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 09:27:29 PM »

Ted Kennedy's replacement?

Mitt Romney!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies