Question for the suburb lovers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:46:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Question for the suburb lovers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for the suburb lovers  (Read 1684 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:56:15 AM »

Would you ever be willing to live in an area which was essentially suburban but still located within the city limits of a major city?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:35:40 AM »

That's pretty much where I live now.  I can't see any tall buildings, but I'm right in the middle of Omaha.

(unless Omaha isn't a major city in which case F YOU BUDDY! Smiley )
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »

Yeah.  I live rather close to an area that fits that description - in fact its almost exurban but within the Memphis city limits.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:31:26 AM »

Yes, depending on the quality of the neighborhood.  Most of south Sacramento has problems with crime and bad school systems, but I'd consider the Pocket area.  Further north, Arden-Arcade and North Natomas are supposed to be pretty nice.

I've lived in a pretty marginal neighborhood inside the city limits.  My particular (gated!) apartment complex was decent enough, and the price was right.  I wouldn't have lived in the houses across the street, though.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:53:08 AM »

Northern Virginia is largely like that--they call it a "subway suburb".
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 08:13:04 AM »

Especially when the "DC Metro area" stretches 50 miles down I-95.  It doesn't transition until you hit the Stafford/Fredericksburg area, and even there, they are DC commuters (like I will be once I move down there).
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:19:59 AM »

Especially when the "DC Metro area" stretches 50 miles down I-95.  It doesn't transition until you hit the Stafford/Fredericksburg area, and even there, they are DC commuters (like I will be once I move down there).

When I was in college (at Mary Wash), I did a few internships during the summers and rode the VRE into DC, and get this---I knew at least 3 people who commuted from Richmond to DC!   Drove for an hour to get to FredVegas, then another hour and twenty min on the VRE (one way!).   Those people were positively insane, and you'll hear their horror stories if you take the VRE.   They even sound proud of it.  LOL.   Insane.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »

I'd be willing to, but I would bet dollars to donuts that housing in such a place would be extremely expensive, so only if it didn't mean a significant increase in the price I pay for housing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »

When I was in college (at Mary Wash), I did a few internships during the summers and rode the VRE into DC, and get this---I knew at least 3 people who commuted from Richmond to DC!   Drove for an hour to get to FredVegas, then another hour and twenty min on the VRE (one way!).   Those people were positively insane, and you'll hear their horror stories if you take the VRE.   They even sound proud of it.  LOL.   Insane.

We had one guy who lived in NC, commute up here on Monday, stay till Thursday, then commute home.  HE was insane.  Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »

Northern Virginia clearly does not classify with this since it's obviously not part of DC.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:14:31 PM »

Where I am. Suburban part of San Jose. Fits most of the city, actually.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 12:21:45 PM »

Northern Virginia clearly does not classify with this since it's obviously not part of DC.

I think Arlington would beg to differ.  hahaha
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »

I have a friend who lives there. It's a pretty average place.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 09:30:55 PM »

I love in a suburb. In my next life, I would have a pad in some action area of Manhattan, a place for the weekends in the Hamptons, and a vacation place in the San Juan Islands for the summer, and a beach house on the beach near San Diego for the winter, or maybe in Perth, Australia. But then I hate plane trips, so forget all of it. Plane trips these days are sort of like enduring torture in the rack. Let others do that; I'm not interested.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »

Definitely.

I'll put up with the higher housing prices if it doesn't require me to drive all the time.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:05 AM »

Like parts of Northwest DC? Sure. The lack of appeal of most cities is based on the aesthetics and qualities, not the location really (except for school quality o/c).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

I live quite a bit further in than Don and my neighborhood pretty much fits the description. Really, any part of Memphis other than Downtown does.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »

A lot of people would probably consider most of Minneapolis to be like that, including the part I currently live in, but I don't. Minneapolis does have some rather suburban parts (pretty much anywhere south of Uptown for example), but I don't consider all the residential areas suburban.

Minneapolis is kind of like this: Take a dense urban core similar to a neighborhood from a place like Chicago and put it in the center. Then take 4 or 5 smaller cities common in the Midwest (places like Fargo, Mankato, Des Moines, La Crosse, etc.) and plop them around it. A lot of people would consider these areas suburban in relation to the inner city, but I don't, unless you consider the city center of Fargo to be suburban for example. Each one is more residential and not as dense, but way denser than the suburbs, and each neighborhood has its own distinct downtown region.

St. Paul is kind of the same way, but it doesn't have anywhere as dense as the middle of Minneapolis. Honestly, St. Paul just seems like a larger version of Fargo to me.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »

That's pretty much where I live now.  I can't see any tall buildings, but I'm right in the middle of Omaha.

(unless Omaha isn't a major city in which case F YOU BUDDY! Smiley )

OMaha also has a habit of annexing vast portions of rural land... so I wouldn't call it the same as living in a landlocked city like Chicago or Minneapolis or Detroit.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »

Sure.  I just want a house and a nice, safe neighborhood to raise a family.  And a yard. Tongue

If a suburban-like area was within city limits and it fit the above requirements and it worked with my husband and my jobs, then perfect. Smiley

Rin-chan
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »

As other people have said I wouldn't mind it as long as it was a safe, nice area with a yard. I like being able to do stuff outside in my yard. Tongue  I just don't want to live in some downtown or ghetto area which BRTD loves.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »

I don't see why this would matter unless you really want to live in the boonies, or care about what ZIP code you have.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »

Not in NYC because that would entail living on the hellhole that is Staten Island. Otherwise, sure. My grandmother lived in a very beautiful suburban area of Sacramento (not a huge city, but it definitely has a poverty rate to suit you, BRTD).
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »

Not in NYC because that would entail living on the hellhole that is Staten Island. Otherwise, sure. My grandmother lived in a very beautiful suburban area of Sacramento (not a huge city, but it definitely has a poverty rate to suit you, BRTD).

There are communities in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx that fit this definition. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »

As other people have said I wouldn't mind it as long as it was a safe, nice area with a yard. I like being able to do stuff outside in my yard. Tongue  I just don't want to live in some downtown or ghetto area which BRTD loves.

I don't live in a ghetto area. It's NEAR some ghetto areas, but that doesn't make it one anymore than it makes the suburbs urban.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies