1980, Reagan picks Cheney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:17:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980, Reagan picks Cheney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1980, Reagan picks Cheney  (Read 3750 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »

In 1980, instead of picking George HW Bush for Vice President, Republican nominee Ronald Reagan picks young, up and coming Congressman, and former Ford White House Chief of Staff  Dick Cheney of Wyoming as his running mate.

Questions

Does Ronald Reagan still win the election over Jimmy Carter, thereby making Dick Cheney Vice President 20 years earlier?

What differences to the electoral map would we see? 

GPORTER
gporter
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »

This should be in the what-if election scenario part of the forum.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:21:32 AM »

This should be in the what-if election scenario part of the forum.

Coming from the man, who on numerous ocassions has done Nixon/Rockefeller vs. Kennedy/Johnson and similar scenarios. But, hey I'm probably ignored by you know so I don't care.

Even with Congressman Cheney on the Republican ticket, the Reagan led Republican ticket wins by the same margin as it did in RL and likewise in the Popular Vote. However, I am surprised you didn't mention how would the 1988 Presidential Election turn out if Vice President Cheney was running, that would be very interesting. Cheney/Rumsfeld '88! Tongue.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »

Instead of Reagan/Bush 489 Carter/Mondale 49

Reagan/Cheney                      431
Carter/Mondale                       107

Conor, thank you for your reply.  With Cheney on the ticket, I agree with you that Reagan would still win a landslide.  In this scenario, I have given Carter Delaware, Massachusetts, and New York in addition to what he won in the actual election.

Your remarks about 1988, I had thought of this as well, and you are right, with Vice President Cheney as the Presidential nominee, this would have made for a very interesting race. 

I do not believe he would have picked Rumsfeld, however, as his running mate.

Actually, I had planned to put a Vice President Cheney running for President in 1988 scenario in another what-if thread.  You got ahead of me.  So thank you for the reminder.

I look forward to your as usual insightful and perceptive comments in my Cheney thread.     
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »

The presence of the evil Dick Cheney on the ticket repulses all voters, and Carter wins every state.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

However, I am surprised you didn't mention how would the 1988 Presidential Election turn out if Vice President Cheney was running, that would be very interesting. Cheney/Rumsfeld '88! Tongue.

I wonder how they would handle the Gulf War.  Was Ahmed Chalabi around yet?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:05:54 PM »

with anderson...

Reagan/Cheney: 328
Carter/Mondale: 210
Anderson: 0

without anderson:

Reagan/Cheney: 271 electoral votes
Carter/Mondale: 267 electoral votes

Why would recently elected Congressman Richard Bruce Cheney have that effect on the 1980 Presidential Election? In my opinion, Cheney wouldn't harm the ticket in 1980, in  anyway or form (but he would in 2000/2004 Wink), thus your savior Ronald Reagan still would have won in a landslide, what don't you understand about that?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »

First, Cheney is not as strong as George Bush. You should know that. Cheney would not be as strong of a running mate as what George Bush was.

I know Cheney was not as strong as George H.W. Bush on the ticket with Reagan in 1980, but there is NO CHANCE that Cheney would have done that much damage to the Republican ticket.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »

First, Cheney is not as strong as George Bush. You should know that. Cheney would not be as strong of a running mate as what George Bush was.

I know Cheney was not as strong as George H.W. Bush on the ticket with Reagan in 1980, but there is NO CHANCE that Cheney would have done that much damage to the Republican ticket.

Conor is correct. 

You must keep in mind this is 1980.  Cheney had served as Ford's White House Chief of Staff, and was an up and coming Congressman.  Whatever the nation may think about Cheney in 2008 is completely irrelevant to this discussion.  You have to completely separate the Cheney of 1980 and the Cheney of 2008.

Reagan and Cheney win in a landslide in 1980 over Carter and Mondale.  The nation would be voting for Reagan, not for Cheney. 

Bush won handily in 1988 with Quayle, perceived as a lightweight.  Reagan would absolutely win big in 1980 with Cheney, perceived as a man of substance and a rising star. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies