Battle of the Senators, round 3, vote 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:01:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Battle of the Senators, round 3, vote 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Bill Nelson (D-FL)

Tom Harkin (D-IA)

Robert Byrd (D-WV)

Chris Dodd (D-CT)

Ted Kennedy (D-MA)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Battle of the Senators, round 3, vote 1  (Read 1699 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »

Round 2, vote 5 Winners (top 5 advance)Sad
Bernie Sanders (I-VT, 18%, 73% of the vote)
John Kerry (D-MA, 11%, 47% of the vote)
Amy Klobuchar (D-MN, 11%, 47% of the vote)
Chuck Hagel (R-NE, 10%, 40% of the vote)
Ron Wyden (D-OR, 10%, 40% of the vote)

This poll combines the winners from brackets 1 and 2, with the top 2 advancing.  It will close on Saturday.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:02 PM »

Harkin
Dodd
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »

Northeastern liberals are awesome.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:32:08 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »

Byrd and Kennedy, two of the best Senators in our nation's history.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »

Great it looks like no one likes Harkin that much.....
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:04:57 AM »

too. much. d.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »

I like them all except Byrd. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »

Interesting, why don't you like Senator Byrd?

Is it because of his past, or is there some other political reason?

I must confess, he is my absolute favorite senator
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »

Same here, except he's second to Ted Kennedy.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

Byrd's opposition to the war is great and I remember his speech about it -- it was outstanding.  I am not particularly pleased with his reputation as "King Pork".  I realize some of that is unfair, because every Senator does it.  Even Tom Coburn, who claims he DOESN'T do it.  They all bring the bacon home and Byrd is just better at it than the rest.  But you all know how I feel about pork.  If we're talking road improvements, help for children or poor people, a cleaner environment or creating new jobs -- I'm all for it.  But I'm not for spending federal money on "The Lawrence Welk Homestead" in North Dakota or construction of historically accurate Hawaiian canoes. 

That said, my main object to Byrd is his highly offensive stance on school prayer.  I remember his Senate floor speech in favor of school prayer and it basically amounted to insulting every non-theist and non-Christian theist in America.  He never dealt with the harder issues involved, like minority religions, the rights of Atheists, separation of church and state, and the failure of parents and churches to take their proper role in the religious instruction of their children.

Byrd's not my least favorite Democrat.  But he's near the bottom of the list.  Just my take -- like I say, I've been wrong before and if I am confident of anything, it's that I will be wrong again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »

Byrd's opposition to the war is great and I remember his speech about it -- it was outstanding.  I am not particularly pleased with his reputation as "King Pork".  I realize some of that is unfair, because every Senator does it.  Even Tom Coburn, who claims he DOESN'T do it.  They all bring the bacon home and Byrd is just better at it than the rest.  But you all know how I feel about pork.  If we're talking road improvements, help for children or poor people, a cleaner environment or creating new jobs -- I'm all for it.  But I'm not for spending federal money on "The Lawrence Welk Homestead" in North Dakota or construction of historically accurate Hawaiian canoes. 

That said, my main object to Byrd is his highly offensive stance on school prayer.  I remember his Senate floor speech in favor of school prayer and it basically amounted to insulting every non-theist and non-Christian theist in America.  He never dealt with the harder issues involved, like minority religions, the rights of Atheists, separation of church and state, and the failure of parents and churches to take their proper role in the religious instruction of their children.

Byrd's not my least favorite Democrat.  But he's near the bottom of the list.  Just my take -- like I say, I've been wrong before and if I am confident of anything, it's that I will be wrong again.

Oh I was just curious, I wasn't trying to call you wrong or convince you otherwise.

I agree, his stance on school prayer is something I don't really like.

I suppose my admiration of Byrd is based somewhat more on the man himself, and his life story, than politics in general. Although, Byrd has many political stances that are absolutely great (Iraq, and his speech, as you mentioned)

Anyway, thanks for answering. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »

Oh I was just curious, I wasn't trying to call you wrong or convince you otherwise.

I agree, his stance on school prayer is something I don't really like.

I suppose my admiration of Byrd is based somewhat more on the man himself, and his life story, than politics in general. Although, Byrd has many political stances that are absolutely great (Iraq, and his speech, as you mentioned)

Anyway, thanks for answering. Smiley

You bet.  And I don't really trip over his racist past.  He disavows it now.  I have a pretty racist past, too.  But people can and do change.

Yeah - I thought his anti-war speech was one of the best ever.  And it came very early, which I thought took real guts.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »

I have a pretty racist past, too.  But people can and do change.

Shocked

I realize the Second Klan was strongest in Indiana, etc., etc., but still...that's interesting.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

Shocked

I realize the Second Klan was strongest in Indiana, etc., etc., but still...that's interesting.

LOL -- Actually, it's weird.  I was born to very bigoted parents.  My sisters are each older and bigoted...and married to bigots.  So I came by it naturally.  They still are, more or less.  I am not.  The story of what changed me and how is pretty intense, a tad on the mystical side and probably not for a forum like this.

I won't get into the details except to say Jesus Christ changed me.  I was a Christian before the change, so it's not like becoming a Christian was the answer.  It was more like realizing that every time I hated someone because of their color, religion or sexual orientation...I was hating Jesus Christ, who I claimed to love.  The clouds parted, as it were.

I can't figure out why it never happened for the rest of my family, who also claim (sometimes rather loudly) to be evangelical Christians.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »

Ah, what an idol.  Did you support David Duke's presidential campaign?

Anyway, I voted Byrd and Nelson, the other choices were too horrible to bear.  At least Byrd for the Marriage Amendment
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »

Shocked

LOL -- Actually, it's weird.  I was born to very bigoted parents.  My sisters are each older and bigoted...and married to bigots.  So I came by it naturally.  They still are, more or less.  I am not.  The story of what changed me and how is pretty intense, a tad on the mystical side and probably not for a forum like this.

I won't get into the details except to say Jesus Christ changed me.  I was a Christian before the change, so it's not like becoming a Christian was the answer.  It was more like realizing that every time I hated someone because of their color, religion or sexual orientation...I was hating Jesus Christ, who I claimed to love.  The clouds parted, as it were.

I can't figure out why it never happened for the rest of my family, who also claim (sometimes rather loudly) to be evangelical Christians.

Fantasitc, JSojourner; it's a shame more evangelicals aren't like you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies