Unfortunate statement of the week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:56:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Unfortunate statement of the week
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Unfortunate statement of the week  (Read 7692 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 10:22:11 PM »

It's his new schtick instead of Hillary!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »

Nothing suprises me anymore.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »

Okay, I feel kind of bad for jumping on this. I'll be honest, when I first heard about it, I was skeptical; how bad could it be? Then I watched the video and was horrified, and a bit more to learn that she'd said basically the exact same lines back in March. So, while I suppose I should be giving the benefit of the doubt, and I now am, this isn't jumping on her. The negative reaction was a honest first impression.

And I think that explains why the media has gone all over this. A lot of people's first view will see it as Clinton suggesting that something untoward will happen to Obama, including probably many of those who put it on air. And I don't think you have to prefer Obama for that to be the case. Certainly the most reasonable of the pro-Clinton Democratic sites, myDD, is not all that happy with her about this (understatement).

I have to disagree. Look at how easily this thing flows through the national media. People who put it on the air or who write about it online get exactly the reactions they are looking for. It's so easy to plug into because there's this exaggerated notion of Hillary already out there about who she is; and people are a lot less resistant to believing horrible things about her. Even the way you were presented it originally was filtered; 99.5% of the interview with the Argus Leader, including the portions where she's talking about water policy, are filtered out. You were told to look out specifically for the RFK assasination remark.

In any case, MyDD is better described as highly divided than pro-Clinton. It's inaccurate to call it a "reasonable" site, because most people there are hacks for one side or the other; any appearance of reasonability comes out of the even mix of the two sides Smiley.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »

FoxNews isn't covering it (on TV). MSNBC is treating it like she is the devil. CNN is basically just covering the event and that there is some outrage. I think all that adds up to it being a non-story next week. We'll see.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »

FoxNews isn't covering it (on TV).

No surprise there. Fox News went from being extremely anti-Hillary to extremely pro-Hillary as soon as Obama became the frontrunner. Now they spend all day smearing him instead of Hillary.

MSNBC is treating it like she is the devil. CNN is basically just covering the event and that there is some outrage. I think all that adds up to it being a non-story next week. We'll see.

It's still going to be a story, but it will largely blow ever by Memorial Day.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »

It's a testament to how long and arduous this campaign is, to have someone as savvy and intelligent as Hillary Clinton say something so overwhelmingly stupid.

I think actual basis for the comment, her husband won the nomination in June, RFK was still running in June (had he not been killed) it would have gone well beyond that. But slipping the word "assassination" was just so f**king dense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »

It's a testament to how long and arduous this campaign is, to have someone as savvy and intelligent as Hillary Clinton say something so overwhelmingly stupid.

I think actual basis for the comment, her husband won the nomination in June, RFK was still running in June (had he not been killed) it would have gone well beyond that. But slipping the word "assassination" was just so f**king dense.

Yeah but the only reason anyone remembers that RFK was still in the race in June was his assassination.

RFK, Jr. has issued a statement:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 12:10:27 AM »

You people are just ing stupid. This finalized my decision to leave this horrible website. If anyone can twist this to mean anything other than the fact that RFK was still running for President in June, you're just stupid, partisan hacks.

Who are you?

Who cares?  Bye bye.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 12:13:32 AM »

My dislike for the Kennedy's is no secret, but come on woman, this was low.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 12:23:44 AM »

I think it was calculated but I don't think it's that horrible.  Just to remind voters and superdelegates that youthful idealism doesn't always work out, maybe make them more hesitant about throwing their weight to Obama.

It was very expertly brought in.  And now Clinton's public apology on the issue makes her comment get even more news coverage.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »

I think it was calculated but I don't think it's that horrible.  Just to remind voters and superdelegates that youthful idealism doesn't always work out, maybe make them more hesitant about throwing their weight to Obama.

It was very expertly brought in.  And now Clinton's public apology on the issue makes her comment get even more news coverage.

Huh? This doesn't make much sense.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 03:04:12 AM »

Somehow I do not find it so hard to believe that Mrs. Clinton may have fantasized about the potential of assassination of our man Obama - after all he is more likely to be assassinated than any candidate of the last 30 years or so.  These fantasies most likely led to this gaff.  Oh well, it might be a nail in her coffin.
nyquil_man
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -2.61

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 03:08:23 AM »

Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman were murdered in June...

... in California...

Holy sh**t, I think she's onto something.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 06:28:55 AM »

link

Now there is a headline you only see once a blue moon

"Clinton apologies..."
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 06:34:53 AM »

it was an unfortunate comment and obviously she shouldnt have said it.  but it is also one of those things that looks and sounds worse than it is.

im not one to get offended by statements of historical fact, unlike the typical obama supporter, who has no use for that kind of thing.  jesse jackson won the sc primary.  and unfortunately rfk was killed in june of 68.  wring your hands, doesnt make it any less true.

by the way, it is worth noting that robert kennedy jr. has defended clinton.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 06:41:40 AM »

The only explantion is alcohol.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 07:00:41 AM »

but that would be true for most of her statements in the last couple of weeks. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 07:12:27 AM »

Hillary Clinton explaining staying in the race to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

Ignoring momentarily that Clinton I had a clear path to the nomination, the second statement is...inopportune.
I'd need a video link to judge this. It sort of depends on how the second sentence was stressed.
Mind you, not that it matters. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and not believe she's planning to have Obama assassinated, no matter how she said it.
As to what I believe she actually meant - yeah well, primaries were held a little later back in 1992, weren't they? Silly spin.
Angel of Death
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 07:29:07 AM »

She clearly showed a lack of judgment there, no doubt about it, but have you seen the look on her face lately? The nomination process, not to mention her imminent failure to win it, has completely worn her out. Don't be surprised if she starts making more gaffes until she finally decides to call it quits (and retire to the Senate).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 08:03:33 AM »

OH, THE feigned OUTRAGE!!!
nyquil_man
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -2.61

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2008, 08:08:32 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2008, 09:22:49 AM by nyquil_man »

im not one to get offended by statements of historical fact, unlike the typical obama supporter, who has no use for that kind of thing.  jesse jackson won the sc primary.  and unfortunately rfk was killed in june of 68.  wring your hands, doesnt make it any less true.

I'm not bothered so much by the "statements of historical fact" as I am by the fact that they 1. Do nothing to back up her claim and 2. Gloss over the whole truth.

Yes, Jesse Jackson won South Carolina. He also won Michigan in a competitive race, something neither Senator Obama nor Senator Clinton have demonstrated they're capable of doing.

But enough fun facts. On to the boring facts.

As others have noted on this thread, Bill Clinton had a wide delegate lead well before California and had been the frontrunner for at least two months prior to June.

The comparison to 1968 is hardly apt either; the primary system as we think of it today didn't even exist at the time; only 13 states voted - all between March and June. For all intents and purposes, they were pointless affairs; the eventual nominee (Humphrey) didn't run in a single primary and won almost entirely because of the backing of the party bosses who still ran the convention at the time.

RFK wasn't even the frontrunner in June; he was trailing Humphrey badly in the delegate count. That's why he said "Now it's on to Chicago and let's win there" in his CA victory speech; he was in for an uphill fight to win the nomination.

If there's a primary battle that resembles 2008 more than any other, it's probably the 1976 Republican nomination fight between Ford and Reagan. But in order to make that comparison, Senator Clinton would have to cast herself in the role of Ronald Reagan - hardly a good idea for a Democrat, as Senator Obama learned back in January.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2008, 08:47:17 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2008, 08:49:05 AM by Beet »

KO is a clown. It sounds like he broke his pencil when he was going "You! You!"

No, that argument makes NO sense because she doesn't really have a significant chance at winning the nomination. It's funny how those who deign to give her "simple" advice come up with even more asinine suggestions. It makes one wonder how well most of her critics would do in her shoes. I'm guessing not very well.

The historical analogies are more appropriate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »

It makes one wonder how well most of her critics would do in her shoes. I'm guessing not very well.

That's an easy one; they'd have swallowed the multi-million dollar debt and dropped out a long time ago.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

It makes one wonder how well most of her critics would do in her shoes. I'm guessing not very well.

That's an easy one; they'd have swallowed the multi-million dollar debt and dropped out a long time ago.

Yes, I kind of anticipated that answer, but I meant assuming she decides to stay in. Smiley
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »

Oh noes!!! Another MAJOR SCANDAL!!! As if Obama's pro-al Qaeda pastor, McCain's pro-Hitler pastor and Hillary Clinton's lies about almost having died in Bosnia weren't enough... now she's threatening Obama with assassination! I think the time has come for a fresh start... Obama, Clinton, and McCain should all better drop out of the race. Or even better: The Democrats and the Republicans should disband themselves.

At least they should hold another Democratic primary debate... this time centered on Bobby Kennedy's assassination and the implications it bears for the 2008 election.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies