Fat people have a hard time at work new studies find
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:12:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Fat people have a hard time at work new studies find
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fat people have a hard time at work new studies find  (Read 1978 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Whoa, the tubbies are getting hosed!

Wait, there is more....
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tubbies are (as one would expect) freggin' expensive to employ.  I don't blame employers at all here.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »

Wow.

For somebody who supposedly loves "freedom", you really only seem to support the freedom to mash others down with the heel of your boot.

The only difference is that you favor the use of the private sector bottom line to institute this... a sector in which the average joe has no say.

Your post says a lot about you as a person.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

For somebody who supposedly loves "freedom", you really only seem to support the freedom to mash others down with the heel of your boot.
Who's mashing anybody here?  I only said I support the right of individuals running a company to not be forced to hire people that will cost them tons more money than a "regular" hire would.  How is that mashing the freedom of others?  You don't think everybody that wants a job is owed one do you?  Forcing companies to hire fat people would be mashing freedoms.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »

I think you could have probably made your point without using the term "tubbies"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »

I totally agree.  That wasn't a good idea.

It's not like I don't like fat people, I do.  At least as much as any other group.  What I don't like are the ones that think they can get by like everybody else.  I'm sorry but if you weigh 500lbs there are going to be things you just can't do and some other things you can't do at the same price as 300lb person. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »

Who's mashing anybody here?  I only said I support the right of individuals running a company to not be forced to hire people that will cost them tons more money than a "regular" hire would.  How is that mashing the freedom of others?  You don't think everybody that wants a job is owed one do you?  Forcing companies to hire fat people would be mashing freedoms.

And I see this as no different than not hiring minorities because they might cause strife among the white employees which would end up costing money in sensitivity training, etc...

Or not hiring women because they might cause problems among the men at the job which might lead to higher costs relating to harassment lawsuits, etc.

Or not hiring muslims because they might require certain "working days" off for their holidays that will cost the company money...

it goes on and on and on... and before you know it, you're basically saying

"yeah, you can be whatever you want.. black, jewish, muslim, fat, female... just don't expect to work for my company!"

I hear from conservatives "equality of opportunity"... exactly, not practice what you preach.  By forcing people to thin down, lighten up, or grow a penis to get a job, you are demanding equality of outcome... something conservatives supposedly despise.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »

'Individuals' don't run a company, a company is a State granted privilege giving the owners a right to the benefit of their workers toil.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »

hahahah  You don't think owners and HR are individuals?  Odd, but not surprising.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »

If every workplace had tall, lean white males, productivity would be so much better and the economy would be just fantastic!  RRRRRIIIGGGGHTTTTT.  Auschwitz anyone?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »

Not really suprising. Attractive people consistantly do better in the workplace.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:12:18 AM »

"I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat.  It's a viscious cycle."   - Fat Bastard

LMAO @ fatties.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »

If every workplace had tall, lean white males, productivity would be so much better and the economy would be just fantastic!  RRRRRIIIGGGGHTTTTT.  Auschwitz anyone?

Uh...I really don't think that's a good comparison.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2008, 09:27:03 AM by Ebowed »

It's not (as most comparisons to the Holocaust won't be), but this thread is also full of disturbing comments.

I think people just need a group to hate, someone to pick on.  Right now fat people are an easy target (and before anyone mentions that eating habits are a choice, I suspect that many of the people making these self-superior statements will agree that targeting people on the basis of their religion is off-limits - an interesting contradiction).

What did the obese ever do to you, dead0man?  I'm not saying you can't say what you want about fat people.  I'm merely questioning your wisdom in doing so.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:31:01 AM »

It's not (as most comparisons to the Holocaust won't be), but this thread is also full of disturbing comments.

I think people just need a group to hate, someone to pick on.  Right now fat people are an easy target (and before anyone mentions that eating habits are a choice, I suspect that many of the people making these self-superior statements will agree that targeting people on the basis of their religion is off-limits - an interesting contradiction).

What did the obese ever do to you, dead0man?  I'm not saying you can't say what you want about fat people.  I'm merely questioning your wisdom in doing so.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here I could go into a big rant about the "person responibility" the libertarians go on about so much. But I have a live to life.. sometime. On issues like this (well actually all issues really) personal choice is a difficult thing to define, which I guess goes down to free will, I suppose.

Oh yeah, the Auschwitz comparsion was highly inappropriate. But so are all the expressions of "OMG LOOKZ HOW I IS BETTER LOL!!1111" typically made by the misantropic yellow avatars.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »

Other than "tubbies", which I allready said was a mistake, how am I being unfair to the obese?  I don't hate fat people, I'm related to a few of them.  I'm not saying fat people shouldn't be fat, it's their choice.  They have to deal with the consequences of their choice though, just like everybody else. 

And I'll make fun of any religion, including yours and mine.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »

And I'll make fun of any religion, including yours

Good luck with that.

What 'consequences'?  Any intentional workplace discrimination should certainly not be a consequence of being obese.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »

Not really suprising. Attractive people consistantly do better in the workplace.

Oh I agree.  I would have to go to NASA to calculate how many ditzy women my age or even younger draw higher salaries despite having a lower IQ or work ethic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies