McCain should really consider a McCain/Taft ticket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:02:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain should really consider a McCain/Taft ticket
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McCain should really consider a McCain/Taft ticket  (Read 4271 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »

Really, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. See, McCain needs to win Ohio, so adding Taft is a great way to lock up the state. After all, adding a VP from a state always guarantees the state will vote for that ticket, period. Just how John Kerry won NC in 2004 as well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 01:34:37 AM »

But he might very well win Ohio anyway, so it's a bit of a waste.  Obviously, the best choice is Pete Wilson.  That's 55 free electoral votes that he wouldn't even have to work for.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 01:36:38 AM »

But he might very well win Ohio anyway, so it's a bit of a waste.  Obviously, the best choice is Pete Wilson.  That's 55 free electoral votes that he wouldn't even have to work for.

How do you feel that this will affect Nevada and Oregon, two states which vote heavily on the "Vice Presidents who were willing to live in states that touch ours" issue?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 01:43:51 AM »

How do you feel that this will affect Nevada and Oregon, two states which vote heavily on the "Vice Presidents who were willing to live in states that touch ours" issue?

Oh, I forgot about that effect.  In that case, maybe he'd be better off with George Pataki, as that could also get him PA, NJ, CT, MA, and VT along with NY.  RI is also kind of close to the tip of Long Island, so that could be affected as well.  Overall, that's like 90 free electoral votes.  And while neither Ontario nor Quebec have any electoral votes, since they border New York, McCain would inevitably become quite popular in the Great White North.

On the flip side, Obama should probably pick someone from Tennessee, as it gets him most of the South.....I'm thinking maybe Harold Ford Jr.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »

Don Seigleman! Absolutely perfect for Obama! Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia all become in the bag for him.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »

Don Seigleman! Absolutely perfect for Obama! Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia all become in the bag for him.

Not only that, but anyone who lives near a jail will be all over his candidacy.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 02:00:20 AM »

Is this a joke. Bob Taft? No way in hell would he be the VP
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 02:08:38 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2008, 02:10:34 AM by Vice-Chairman Xahar »

Ooh! Obama/Talent! Think of all the states he'd lock up!

He'll also get the loser vote, which could swing several other states.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 02:10:45 AM »

No.  Clearly you don't understand.  Here is a graphic illustration of a McCain/Hutchinson vs. Obama/Schweitzer ticket:

As you can see, the Hutchinfront radiates gloriously out of Texas, even warming the frigid hearts of the Illinois voter.  Safe McCain.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 02:12:19 AM »

No.  Clearly you don't understand.  Here is a graphic illustration of a McCain/Hutchinson vs. Obama/Schweitzer ticket:

As you can see, the Hutchinfront radiates gloriously out of Texas, even warming the frigid hearts of the Illinois voter.  Safe McCain.

WYOMING 4 OBAMA!!!!11111111111
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 02:13:29 AM »

Ah, you might have missed a few lines in the thread that I think give away whether or not this is a joke.  I think it's clear when you read these parts:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, the other parts of the thread were a bit more serious, so I can understand the confusion.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 02:52:33 AM »

Ooh! Obama/Talent! Think of all the states he'd lock up!

McCain-Romney vs. Obama-Talent:  Romney and Talent would not run on opposite tickets, even in Bizarro World.
McCain-Huckabee vs. Obama-Talent:  I would give Obama another look.
McCain-Paul vs. Obama-Talent:  I would give Obama another vote.

Now, back to Earth.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 03:56:31 AM »

Indeed. That would ensure breaking 70% everywhere in the world.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 04:20:05 AM »

Really, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. See, McCain needs to win Ohio, so adding Taft is a great way to lock up the state. After all, adding a VP from a state always guarantees the state will vote for that ticket, period. Just how John Kerry won NC in 2004 as well.

Sarcasm aside, a quick look at the Atlas shows a real swing in, for example, NC in 2004 and WY in 2000.  Picking someone popular in a state that's on the tipping point could be a good idea.  Picking someone unpopular or trying to get that effect in a large state is obviously not so bright.

Wait, did I just feed the troll?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 05:04:14 AM »

Sarcasm aside, a quick look at the Atlas shows a real swing in, for example, NC in 2004 and WY in 2000.  Picking someone popular in a state that's on the tipping point could be a good idea.  Picking someone unpopular or trying to get that effect in a large state is obviously not so bright.

0.39% is not what I'd consider a "real swing".
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 05:17:03 AM »

0.39% is not what I'd consider a "real swing".

Look which way the national vote went.  In a state that was closer to begin with, it could have made the difference.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 07:51:34 AM »

McCain only has one choice now, Eliot Spitzer.  The map would look something like this as Spitzer would secure NY and all bordering states, including some that he a direct route if you ignore Canada, feeling boxed in, ME and NH comply as well:

Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »

obama-freudenthal ftw

dont even get me started on obama-henry or obama-cazayoux
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »

I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that, as it would allow you to cancel the actual election, and simply infer the winner based on geography.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »

I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that, as it would allow you to cancel the actual election, and simply infer the winner based on geography.

Ah, but you're forgetting:  McCain could always announce his intended appointments to various cabinet positions ahead of election day.  For example, by stating his intention to pick Rep. Peter King for the office of Secretary of Labor, that'd swing New York's electoral votes firmly into McCain's column.  Game over, Barack Obama.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »

Fun thread!  Smiley

This post however gets the prize. LOL!

[quote]I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that, as it would allow you to cancel the actual election, and simply infer the winner based on geography.[/quote}
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

Ah, but you're forgetting:  McCain could always announce his intended appointments to various cabinet positions ahead of election day.  For example, by stating his intention to pick Rep. Peter King for the office of Secretary of Labor, that'd swing New York's electoral votes firmly into McCain's column.  Game over, Barack Obama.

Hmmm....I hadn't thought of that.  The Cabinet could make things rather interesting.  How about this?  Each candidate announces his running mate, and his entire Cabinet, along with all the undersecretaries, and so forth......in, fact, why not?  How about each candidate announces who they're going to hire for the entire federal workforce.

The election will be decided based on a mathematical equation, that weights every citizen's "vote" on the basis of their physical proximity to each of the potential federal workers (with of course greater weight being placed on higher offices, so living near a prospective VP counts for more than living near a prospective undersecretary for water planning in Nome, Alaska), integrated over the course of their entire lifetimes.

This would require a rather detailed census, to determine how close every "voter" has ever been to every prospective federal employee.  But it would be worth it, in order to have the "election" decided by a computer program rather than an actual vote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »

Kentucky has the most neighboring electoral votes, after that Tennessee, Nevada, and Oklahoma according to my quick estimates.  Anyone good from Louisville?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »

I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that.

The Constitution does allow that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »

I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that.

The Constitution does allow that.

1836 plan, eh?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies