Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 08:02:29 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2008 Elections
| | |-+  McCain should really consider a McCain/Taft ticket
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: McCain should really consider a McCain/Taft ticket  (Read 3328 times)
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 02:51:36 pm »
Ignore

I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that.

The Constitution does allow that.

It would seem to result in the VP being of a different party from POTUS, unless the electors were unfaithful.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 04:02:55 pm »
Ignore

Kentucky has the most neighboring electoral votes, after that Tennessee, Nevada, and Oklahoma according to my quick estimates.  Anyone good from Louisville?

Safe Anne Northup.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 06:04:45 pm »
Ignore

Come on!  McCain-Palin 08!

It is very advisable to examine and dissect the men of science for once, since they for their part are quite accustomed to laying bold hands on everything in the world, even the most venerable things, and taking them to pieces.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 06:08:40 pm »
Ignore

I think if both candidates were allowed to have about 5 or 6 running mates, you could spread them out geographically, such that the outcome of every state was determined by the geographical proximity of the state to the running mate's home state.  Too bad the constitution doesn't allow for that.

It would seem to result in the VP being of a different party from POTUS, unless the electors were unfaithful.

One of the many VPs would be in the top two, no?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:06 pm »
Ignore

Announcing one's planned cabinet does sound good.  It's more transparent, allowing the American people to know who they're electing beforehand.

Economic score: -3.35
Social score: +3.83

Quote from: metropolitan from Wonkette
alan keyes, mike gravel, cynthia mckinney, ralph nader... such a mess.
maybe it would be better if we just had two big political parties that represent wide swaths of ideology run against each other instead of all these warring parties. if we only had to deal with two parties a winner would have already come out ahead and had a chance to stabilize the financial markets and to prepare to deal with iraq.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 07:46:23 pm »
Ignore

Announcing one's planned cabinet does sound good.  It's more transparent, allowing the American people to know who they're electing beforehand.

That would be fantastic.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 07:50:26 pm »
Ignore

I never knew you were English.

Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 07:51:05 pm »
Ignore

It also makes the selection of the cabinet even more political than it already is.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 07:51:32 pm »
Ignore

I never knew you were English.

I'm a Werewolf in London, so I'm using a UK avatar.

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 08:17:43 pm »
Ignore

It also makes the selection of the cabinet even more political than it already is.

It's already pretty damn political as it is.  Besides, I'm sure that there are a lot of positions (advisers and whatever wonks) outside of the cabinet that are just as important.

maybe it would be better if we just had two big political parties that represent wide swaths of ideology run against each other instead of all these warring parties. if we only had to deal with two parties a winner would have already come out ahead and had a chance to stabilize the financial markets and to prepare to deal with iraq.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 08:20:31 pm »
Ignore

It's already pretty damn political as it is.  Besides, I'm sure that there are a lot of positions (advisers and whatever wonks) outside of the cabinet that are just as important.

NSA

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 08:23:07 pm »
Ignore

I had assumed all this time you were an American one.

Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 08:26:55 pm »
Ignore

I had assumed all this time you were an American one.

I am, from Virginia, but since my username was from a song called "Werewolves of London", I decided to change it.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:24 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, uh, nevermind.

AltWorlder

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 08:37:51 pm »
Ignore

NSA

Exactly what I had in mind.  Though mind you, McCain may announce something like that preemptively to bolster his credentials.  Ditto for possible replacements for Petraeus and other military leaders if needed  Then again, that may be inviting a security risk.

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 02:29:30 am »
Ignore

You've got it all wrong BRTD, John McCain should consider D.C Ward 3 CouncilwomanCarol Schwartz to be his running mate in 2008. An extra 3 Electoral Votes from the District of Columbia wouldn't hurt the Republican Party Tongue.

Here's to the State of Richard Nixon

Some things are better left covered up.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:29 am »
Ignore

You've got it all wrong BRTD, John McCain should consider D.C Ward 3 CouncilwomanCarol Schwartz to be his running mate in 2008. An extra 3 Electoral Votes from the District of Columbia wouldn't hurt the Republican Party Tongue.

She did come relatively close to winning the 1994 Mayor's race.... imagine DC with a Republican Mayor Smiley
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:01 am »
Ignore

She did come relatively close to winning the 1994 Mayor's race.... imagine DC with a Republican Mayor Smiley

Don, that would be political incorrect for DC to have a Republican Mayor. Hehe.

Here's to the State of Richard Nixon

Some things are better left covered up.
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:16 am »
Ignore

I guess we should look at the base map, before counting in Vice Presidential Candidates:

McCain vs Obama

McCain 89 ECVs
Obama 85 ECVs

McCain vs Clinton:

McCain 89 ECVs
Clinton 89 ECVs

And thus we determine that Clinton really is more electable than Obama... even moreso if we factor in the whole "island cut off from everywhere else" syndrome of RI, NH, ME. She could probably also get whole "I lived in Arkansas while my husband was Governor" effect, but McCain has spent so long in the Senate, he could probably get the homeland effect in DC.
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 09:24:08 am »
Ignore

obama-freudenthal ftw

dont even get me started on obama-henry or obama-cazayoux

Hack, Obama-Freudenthal makes no claim to NE-2.
JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 12:08:49 pm »
Ignore

Is this a joke. Bob Taft? No way in hell would he be the VP

Yes, I think BRTD was being BRTD.

Although Taft could bankroll the campaign with rare coin investments.

a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 12:09:25 pm »
Ignore

It was mocking the idea that VP candidates always carry their home states that some people have proposed here in relation to Lieberman, etc.

Famous True Leftists:

JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 12:10:15 pm »
Ignore

It was mocking the idea that VP candidates always carry their home states that some people have proposed here in relation to Lieberman, etc.

LOL

Like Tim Pawlenty will deliver Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa?  Yeah, I know whatchamean. :-)

farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 12:35:36 pm »
Ignore

No. It would result (if it was the winning party as did that) in the VP being picked by the Senate, though.

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout