If you won the lottery...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:58:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you won the lottery...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...would you use some of it to run for political office?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: If you won the lottery...  (Read 2447 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »

I'm talking big time Powerball Lotto, too. $150-200 mil type stuff.

If I became a multimillionaire tomorrow, I'd probably try to thrust myself into politics for fun.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »

I'd run for the mayor of Charleston. Maybe even for our Godly congressional seat once Henry Brown decided to retire.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »

No.

I'd settle debts, help family and friends and buy a house in Brussels and one in Glasgow. I'd then buy a cafe or shop and let it run itself, working there sometimes to keep me sane. Then I'd have a quiet and simple life, spend some time studying and keep taking the bus and train. I'd rather use the money to help publish political and historical writings.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »

No.

I'd settle debts, help family and friends and buy a house in Brussels and one in Glasgow. I'd then buy a cafe or shop and let it run itself, working there sometimes to keep me sane. Then I'd have a quiet and simple life, spend some time studying and keep taking the bus and train. I'd rather use the money to help publish political and historical writings.

Something like that, except insert "and travel the world" in their too.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »

Well, of course you gotta take care of the essentials, but that's only about $10 million dollars tops for an amazing life.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »

I'd probably sit on my ass and do nothing for the rest of my life.  of course I'd never be dumb enough to play the lottery so the point is moot.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

If I earn or win money, I want it to contribute a simple life, not a complicated one Smiley I guess I could end up being a periodic benefactor to the Tories, but I think any political involvement would be much less direct than that. I would prefer to think and write and talk than to run.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »

I'd probably sit on my ass and do nothing for the rest of my life.  of course I'd never be dumb enough to play the lottery so the point is moot.
Lotteries are a tax on people that are bad at math.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »

Lotteries are a tax on people that are bad at math.

Agreed. Let's say I "found" millions of dollars. No way I'm working my butt off kissing babies to be a public spectacle 24/7. I'm buying a nice home and traveling around the world. After investing enough to keep myself perpetually comfortable, I'd hope to do some charitable giving as well as there's no way I could possibly spend millions of dollars on myself. Just not the way I was raised.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

If I won the $150-200 million dollar lottery, I'd spend at least $30 million on a political campaign.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:22:35 PM »

Nope. I'd buy a loft in Minneapolis and have lots of parties.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »

No, I wouldn't.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »

I'd spend a million dollars running for mayor of Miami Springs, FL, and blow the other campaigns out of the water by 100 times at least.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »

Nooooooooooo.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 09:18:12 PM »

Possibly, but candidates that use their own money have mixed records of success.

I would make maximum contributions to a whole lot of moderate (or responsible conservative) Republican candidates and committees.  Then I'd start a 527 to defend moderates in GOP primaries.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »

I would make maximum contributions to a whole lot of moderate (or responsible conservative) Republican candidates and committees.  Then I'd start a 527 to defend moderates in GOP primaries.

I'd also do something like that, but for moderate Democrats in the South, especially.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 09:41:33 PM »

I'd say "screw it" to all my political dreams and just travel the world.  I'd give a sizeable donation to Mississippi State University, maybe get them to name a building after me, and I'd endow a scholarship.  Do something for the athletic department too.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

I'd also do something like that, but for moderate Democrats in the South, especially.
What is with you and moderate Democrats in the South, if you are a fan of HHH, Ted Kennedy and FDR. Moderate Democrats are okay and I really like them for their courage on economic issues but they aren't anything special.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »

lol No, I'd get a car or something Tongue

Save most of it.

Rin-chan
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »

What is with you and moderate Democrats in the South, if you are a fan of HHH, Ted Kennedy and FDR. Moderate Democrats are okay and I really like them for their courage on economic issues but they aren't anything special.

I can be a fan of moderate, Southern Democrats and still like FDR, HHH, and EMK.  Remember, I also support Mark Warner, Mike Easley, and Mark Pryor.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 07:49:51 AM »

Absolutely. I'd buy a doomsday device, and run for supreme ruler of the planet.

Ok, seriously, probably not. If I was to work I'd probably start a video game development company.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

Personally, no.  I would contribute more, probably start a PAC (or two or three), and possibly a 527.  I might consider running for a party office, like state committee.

I think the PAC's might be for a right not to get heroic medical treatment, one for legislators who follow correct legislative procedure.

I'd probably by a house in my neighborhood (perhaps several).  I'd try to live, frugally, off the interest.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »

Hell no. I'd use it to make my life happy, not add more work and misery. I'm just not power hungry enough.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 07:04:06 PM »

No.  I would run for office only if I can make certain that my relatives would not become fodder for the media.  Money won't buy that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies