KY: Rasmussen: McCain +25 over Obama, Clinton +9 over McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  KY: Rasmussen: McCain +25 over Obama, Clinton +9 over McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KY: Rasmussen: McCain +25 over Obama, Clinton +9 over McCain  (Read 3763 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »

Link
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »

Ha. Clinton supporters are really making the Dems sorry she lost the nomination. Kentucky could have been a battleground!
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »

Ha. Clinton supporters are really making the Dems sorry she lost the nomination. Kentucky could have been a battleground!

But look at the state that Obama put in play/somewhat play and look at the state Clinton put in play/somewhat play.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:33 AM »

Clinton is really loosing by 9 points. It is not a battleground at all.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »

How is McCain +9 in Kentucky a battleground, while other states like Virginia, or Montana show similar leads for McCain, where you say that only hacks would consider them competitive?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »

How is McCain +9 in Kentucky a battleground, while other states like Virginia, or Montana show similar leads for McCain, where you say that only hacks would consider them competitive?

This poll shows McCain -9 against Clinton, not +9.
jesmo

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »

Hillary would have won the election easily.... 40 of the 50 states!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »

O..k...  So... I guess it was a safe Clinton state that the Dems threw away.... that makes it... better?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »

It is the Republican/Clinton Math. For say, Obama is polling 6% down in NC... but NC is a safe Republican state, but Clinton is polling 9% down in KY and KY is a battleground state! Please...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2008, 11:01:01 AM by Alcon »

Not to interrupt the "the Democrats threw away a safe state!" fun, but the previous McCain/Clinton match-ups were:

5/8: McCain +12
4/12: McCain +2
3/15: McCain +10
2/27: McCain +9
2/5: McCain +10

Could this maybe indicate that this poll is a blip, or Clinton's being the underdog in this race may be benefiting her here in a way that we wouldn't be seeing if she were the nominee?  And this was, keep in mind, mere days after her massive primary win.

Especially since this is the first Rassy poll, we may also have pollster hijinx going on here.

But, anyway, carry on.
jesmo

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »

Not to interrupt the "the Democrats threw away a safe state!" fun, but the previous McCain/Clinton match-ups were:

Could this maybe indicate that this poll is a blip, or Clinton's being the underdog in this race may be benefiting here in a way that we wouldn't be seeing if she were the nominee?

Kentucky residents saw through the evils of Obama and McVain.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »

Could this maybe indicate that this poll is a blip, or Clinton's being the underdog in this race may be benefiting here in a way that we wouldn't be seeing if she were the nominee?

Clinton wouldn't have won KY at all. Maybe make it close, but that is it.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »

Kentucky residents saw through the evils of Obama and McVain.

Or maybe it that the people in Kentucky see a black man vs an Old man. THen look and Clinton and see Bill.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 11:01:51 AM »

Oops...happens to me a lot...sorry then.

In that case, I doubt the numbers, actually. Why should there be such a sudden swing to Clinton? Maybe temporary due to her campaigning there?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:08 AM »

Could this maybe indicate that this poll is a blip, or Clinton's being the underdog in this race may be benefiting her here in a way that we wouldn't be seeing if she were the nominee? 

Agreed, but it is still fun Smiley

I can't tell you how much of a kick I would get out of McCain winning in November and the exit polls showing that Hillary would have won the election easily if they had picked her over Obama.  Maybe it won't happen, but I can't help but smile after thinking about it.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2008, 11:09:19 AM by Aizen »

No way does Hillary go from losing Kentucky decisively to winning it decisively. Sorry, but something isn't right here.

That said, it is true she appears to be the stronger GE candidate. I'm not oblivious to that. But it was only relatively recently she started polling so well. She used to poll horrendously to where Obama was the undisputed stronger GE candidate. In fact, it was pretty much too late when her polling improved. So I don't know why Hillary is surging in the polls when she's pretty much finished but it wasn't like this before.
jesmo

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »

No way dos Hillary go from losing Kentucky decisively to winning it decisively. Sorry, but something isn't right here.

That said, it is true she appears to be the stronger GE candidate. I'm not oblivious to that. But it was only relatively recently she started polling so well. She used to poll horrendously to where Obama was the undisputed stronger GE candidate. In fact, it was pretty much too late when her polling improved. So I don't know why Hillary is surging in the polls when she's pretty much finished but it wasn't like this before.

Ugh, I am visiting Colorado in a few weeks, for about 6 weeks.. Yuck, and people like you are there.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »

No way dos Hillary go from losing Kentucky decisively to winning it decisively. Sorry, but something isn't right here.

Yea it like the poll show Clinton winning NC by 6 when all the others showed McCain winning by 10% or more.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »

All this tells me is that many KY 'Democrats' are either a spiteful bunch, at best, or a racist bunch, at worst

Many polls seem to be showing that Obama supporters are certainly more willing to unite for the good of their party and their country, irrespective of who the nominee is, than Clinton's are. Disgusting really when you consider only Obama has a fair path to the nomination

Dave
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

All this tells me is that many KY 'Democrats' are either a spiteful bunch, at best, or a racist bunch, at worst

I'm not a big fan of the "Obama lost KY because of race analysis".... even if you look at the exit polls and say that 20% of KY voters thought race was a major factor (although there are still multiple ways to interpret that), Hillary still would have won by a significant margin.

I think there is more to this "anti-elitist" theory of KY voters. How Hillary was able to position herself as such is a fascinating question, although I think there are some other threads that have debated this more extensively.

I'm still not sure how accurate this poll is though, it does seem like a potential outlier compared to other recent KY matchup polls. If true, this does indicate major softness amongst McCain's supporters in this region as the dynamics of the race change and the Dems consolidate their base.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »

She'd win Kentucky and lose Oregon, Washington and Wisconsin in the process. She'd also lose any chance of picking up Colorado, Virginia, New Mexico and North Carolina.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 02:45:42 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the "Obama lost KY because of race analysis".... even if you look at the exit polls and say that 20% of KY voters thought race was a major factor (although there are still multiple ways to interpret that), Hillary still would have won by a significant margin.

the exit polls tell you that 20% were willing to admit that race was a significant factor.  the real percentage is, of course, far higher.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »

Obama supporters are certainly more willing to unite for the good of their party and their country, irrespective of who the nominee is, than Clinton's are.

I'm sorry, are you new to the forum?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »

Here is my understanding of what has been happening (from another thread):

Much of the problem Obama has had with working class Democrats, especially in Appalachia, is that they aren't so much 'visionary' in their political view-point, they could be said to be of a more 'substantialist' view-point and, IMO, good a campaign Obama has waged this primary cycle, these voters need to see more policy substance from Obama. They need to be sure that Obama is every bit as much for their interests as Clinton, who face it is no more culturally populist then he is

Bottom-line is that they trust Clinton more on the economy and quality of life issues, like healthcare; while Iraq may not be of such primary importance to these voters; and this may well explain why Obama has been unable to build on the breakthrough he achieved among Clinton's base in Wisconsin

Just because race was not a factor in the Democratic primary, it's plausible that base spite and prejudice could be working against Obama in the general

Polls suggest that Obama's base would be more solidly for Clinton as the nominee than hers would be for Obama, which is disgusting when you consider only Obama has a fair path to the nomination. That's the point I'm making

Dave
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

Here is my understanding of what has been happening (from another thread):

Much of the problem Obama has had with working class Democrats, especially in Appalachia, is that they aren't so much 'visionary' in their political view-point, they could be said to be of a more 'substantialist' view-point and, IMO, good a campaign Obama has waged this primary cycle, these voters need to see more policy substance from Obama. They need to be sure that Obama is every bit as much for their interests as Clinton, who face it is no more culturally populist then he is

Bottom-line is that they trust Clinton more on the economy and quality of life issues, like healthcare; while Iraq may not be of such primary importance to these voters; and this may well explain why Obama has been unable to build on the breakthrough he achieved among Clinton's base in Wisconsin

Just because race was not a factor in the Democratic primary, it's plausible that base spite and prejudice could be working against Obama in the general

Polls suggest that Obama's base would be more solidly for Clinton as the nominee than hers would be for Obama, which is disgusting when you consider only Obama has a fair path to the nomination. That's the point I'm making

Dave

So you seriously consider it "disgusting" that voters do not support your preferred candidate? I would consider that a pretty undemocratic and condescending view. One of the points of democracy is that people can decide for themselves who to vote for, without other people telling them they're disgusting for doing it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies