Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 09:15:56 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  most left wing major city in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: most left wing major city in America  (Read 10497 times)
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2004, 11:50:46 am »
Ignore

I have to vote for San Francisco.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 12:08:27 pm by Better Red Than Dead »Logged

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 11:54:26 am »
Ignore

i'd say San Francisco
AuH2O
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 12:25:55 pm »
Ignore

LA.

don't forget to remember, the devil's got pills in his eyes

look, laugh, but don't touch... cut you down to size
freedomburns
FreedomBurns
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 12:26:07 pm »
Ignore

It's San Francisco.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 01:06:59 pm »
Ignore

Detroit should have been included...Gore got 93% of the vote there. Although one could argue it's not as liberal as some of the others, it certainly is quite Democratic.

Depends on how you define liberal, I guess. I can see an argument for not including it.
Brambila
Brambilla
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 03:15:54 pm »
Ignore

San Francisco, but it's hard to say. I mean, if you say the San Francisco Bay Area, and you say the Boston area, then Boston is probably more liberal. But the actual city of San Francisco only has 800 thousand people in it (a fifth of the actual city area is made up of skyscrapers), then yeah it's liberal. But there are areas in the Bay Area that are not liberal. Millbrae is fairly conservative, as are many of the cities in the East bay. The *really* liberal cities are usually the wealthy ones. Oakland and Berkeley, although both have very poverish and dangerous regions, also have the most wealthy areas in the city.

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64

"We could never judge that one thing is better than another if a basic understanding of the good had not already been instilled in us."
-Saint Augustine
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 03:24:23 pm »
Ignore

San Francisco, but it's hard to say. I mean, if you say the San Francisco Bay Area, and you say the Boston area, then Boston is probably more liberal. But the actual city of San Francisco only has 800 thousand people in it (a fifth of the actual city area is made up of skyscrapers), then yeah it's liberal. But there are areas in the Bay Area that are not liberal. Millbrae is fairly conservative, as are many of the cities in the East bay. The *really* liberal cities are usually the wealthy ones. Oakland and Berkeley, although both have very poverish and dangerous regions, also have the most wealthy areas in the city.

Millbrae is extremely wealthy.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Brambila
Brambilla
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 03:42:57 pm »
Ignore

Bud, all of the bay area is. Get used to it. Wink

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64

"We could never judge that one thing is better than another if a basic understanding of the good had not already been instilled in us."
-Saint Augustine
TexasGurl
texasgurl24
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: -9.57, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 03:48:45 pm »
Ignore

of those san francisco.

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 03:50:19 pm »
Ignore

Detroit should have been included...Gore got 93% of the vote there. Although one could argue it's not as liberal as some of the others, it certainly is quite Democratic.

Depends on how you define liberal, I guess. I can see an argument for not including it.

Well, it's not Democratic, it's liberal.  Many inner-city folks don't vote on social issues.

And the answer to this poll is obviously S.F.

this is real
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 06:43:27 pm »
Ignore

Without a doubt San Fran is the most liberal city in America. They almost elected a Green Party candidate as Mayor!

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 07:01:32 pm »
Ignore

and we've all agreed here that they would probably vote for a Communist over Bush. Then again, I bet every city listed above would.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 07:03:51 pm »
Ignore

SF.

A better question would've been which is the 2nd most left wing.

BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 07:08:10 pm »
Ignore

SF.

A better question would've been which is the 2nd most left wing.

good one. i don't know what i'd say now.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 07:12:05 pm »
Ignore

How does Portland have two votes? Its not that liberal.

King and Multnomah counties both voted 60 or so percent Gore. But unlike Portland/Multnomah, Seattle had over 1 million suburbanites in its county to bring its number down.

nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2004, 08:05:06 pm »
Ignore

San Francisco, with Boston a close second.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2004, 09:17:42 pm »
Ignore

Why is New York on this list? It became a right-wing police state under Giuliani.

DC probably doesn't belong on the list either, because Congress really controls it.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
migrendel
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 11:20:11 am »
Ignore

I would say San Francisco, without a doubt. The other cities mentioned are quite Democratic, but they do not have a political culture nearly as liberal as San Francisco. Politically, San Francisco would be a moderately liberal European city.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Left/Right: -10.00

Registered in Massachusetts as a Democrat for Fantasy Elections, though now living in Rome.
migrendel
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 01:45:33 pm »
Ignore

I don't see why crime is so important to people. I daresay a repressive government which tramples on all civil liberties is worse than occasionally handing over your wallet to a kleptomaniac.

Registered in Massachusetts as a Democrat for Fantasy Elections, though now living in Rome.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 01:56:43 pm »
Ignore

I've gotten mugged in conservative areas far more than in liberal areas, that's for sure.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
migrendel
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 01:57:57 pm »
Ignore

People who are willing to compromise the vitality of their existance for a false sense of security can move to where they belong and where the spirit of life undergoes rot, the suburbs.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2004, 02:08:38 pm »
Ignore

People who are willing to compromise the vitality of their existance for a false sense of security can move to where they belong and where the spirit of life undergoes rot, the suburbs.

Watch American beauty a few too many times?  A spirit does not rot due to their surroundings.  A spirit only "rots" if the person lets it.  I fail to see how enforcing exisiting laws is compromising the vitality of existence.  Migrendel, I am just curious where you fall on smoking in bars issue?
migrendel
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2004, 10:27:19 am »
Ignore

I for one don't see the issue regarding smoking in bars. That's something that is pretty much expected in that kind of place. I personally think the government is far too concerned with whether people smoke or not. For example, Montgomery County, Maryland passed an ordinance that can be construed as prohibiting smoking in the privacy of the home. If you can't smoke in your home, where can you? Those laws are deceptively designed to try to deprive individuals of choice in personal matters.

elcorazon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2004, 10:43:36 am »
Ignore

NY, only not so much in how they vote.  It's really a melting pot, and as such is quite liberal in attitudes.  SF, Boston also are quite liberal...Chicago, despite it's size is not that liberal actually.

"The most important thing to remember is, no matter what anybody tells you, it is never, ever unpatriotic or un-American to question anything in a democracy"
English
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2004, 05:07:16 am »
Ignore

I would say San Francisco, without a doubt. The other cities mentioned are quite Democratic, but they do not have a political culture nearly as liberal as San Francisco. Politically, San Francisco would be a moderately liberal European city.

No, No, No, No!
San Fransisco would be THE most liberal city in Europe, except perhaps for Amsterdam. SF would easily be contender for the most socially liberal city in the world. I don't know why people think Europe is that liberal. It isn't.
Even London doesn't have the whole huge hippy/gay/counter cultural element prevelent in some US/Canadian cities. Places like Toronto, SF and Seattle are easily more socially liberal than London, and probably fiscally too.

I live in the UK and regard myself as a socially liberal, economic centrist. I vote for the British Labour party and support the Canadian NDP and US Democratic parties.

Economic -2.38
Social -1.74
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout