Obama's Uncle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:46:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama's Uncle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama's Uncle  (Read 3054 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »

Dan Quayl.. err Barack Obama.. has made quite a few mistakes lately. He is a gaffe machine.
Only retarded people care about this.

proof.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »

The impact this will have on the election: 0.3%

Why are we discussing this?

Because after a 100 or so times, these little "scandals" add up to about 40% of the vote! Tongue
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »

His great uncle participated in the liberation of a concentration camp. That's the point. I can see how an english-speaker who's not an expert on World War II might easily confuse Auschwitz with Buchenwald. this is a non-issue, and it's in extremely poor taste for Republicans to try to exploit it.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »

Didn't Ronald Reagan tel several people, including Yitzhak Shamir, that he was involved in the liberation of the concentration camps when he had never left the U.S?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »

Hell lets not discuss issues anymore...lets just pick apart every speech all the candidates make and dig up dirt about their past and how much their families and their lives suck.

Seriously...this is really retarded.

LOL

Yes, let's ignore any mistakes Obama makes, but when McCain makes a slip up "OMGZ MCCAIN IS 100 YEARS OLD AND LOSING HIS BEARINGS!! DOESNT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUNNI AND SHI'ITES!!!!"

and dont forget the biggest scandal of all....bill clinton stating a historical fact...jesse jackson won the 1988 sc primary. 
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 08:13:58 PM »

On the one hand, in any other candidate -- even Clinton -- I could live with this as just a slip of the tongue.

But Obama has organized his campaign almost entirely on "tongue," so it's not so easy to dismiss.
zombones

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »

Now, when Clinton tells a whopper, the media is all over her.
lol you think this is the same thing as that
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »

Who is this uncle anyway?  I've never even read of his name in the press.  It'd be nice to know some biographical details.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »

Who is this uncle anyway?  I've never even read of his name in the press.  It'd be nice to know some biographical details.
His uncle is a former KGB spy who now advises Ahmadinejad. In his spare time, Obama's uncle concocts ways to infringe on personal liberties and raise taxes on hard-working white people.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »

Update:

Obama has tried to correct part of his speech on veterans by noting he meant his great-uncle, not his uncle, and the concentration camp was actually Buchenwald, well, er Ohrdruf.

However, there seems to be another couple of problems with the speech, and it will be interesting to see how they are handled. 

Did Obama's grandfather sign up for the military on the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor, or on June 18, 1942?  Oh, and did he serve in combat?  Obama has given differing accounts.

Finally, can Obama see dead people?  He said he could see "fallen heroes" in the audience.  Now, while Obama may have thought the term "fallen heroes" referred to those suffering from PTSD.  But, P.L. 109-228 made it pretty clear what the term meant. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:40 AM »

Hey, my uncle died at Auschwitz.  He fell out of the guard tower.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:05 AM »

His great uncle participated in the liberation of a concentration camp. That's the point. I can see how an english-speaker who's not an expert on World War II might easily confuse Auschwitz with Buchenwald. this is a non-issue, and it's in extremely poor taste for Republicans to try to exploit it.

I think it's in "extremely" poor taste to mix up a quickly corrected statement confusing Sunnis and Shiites.

Obama clearly misspoke or misremembered the name of the camp. 

Neither incidence is important.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:54 AM »

I think it's in "extremely" poor taste to mix up a quickly corrected statement confusing Sunnis and Shiites.

Obama clearly misspoke or misremembered the name of the camp. 

Neither incidence is important.

Slow political news cycle.... the media keeps looking for their next three day story.

Forgotten come November.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 12:42:42 AM »

Hey, my uncle died at Auschwitz.  He fell out of the guard tower.

One branch of my family came from Auschwitz, of course sometime in the mid-1700's.  The neighborhood went downhill after that.
Conan
conan

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 01:00:38 AM »

Well, Obama doesn't like to be held to the standards that he holds others to.

However, this issue is ridiculous.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 01:38:03 AM »

Not sure if he's been whining about this one... surrogates might be out in force though.

Unfortunately for the American public we might be stuck with 1-3 day peripheral stories until we start hearing real debates between these candidates.

Wouldn't it be impressive if we could get a mini debate or two prior to the conventions?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 02:02:05 AM »

Not sure if he's been whining about this one... surrogates might be out in force though.

Unfortunately for the American public we might be stuck with 1-3 day peripheral stories until we start hearing real debates between these candidates.

Wouldn't it be impressive if we could get a mini debate or two prior to the conventions?

One could argue that's what this entire pre-convention campaign cycle is. Obama gives a speech here or there and says something, a little bit later McCain responds while giving a speech somewhere else. It just lasts for months instead of hours. Let's enjoy the ride!

Up next: The media loves McCain. No, they love Obama. But they also love Clinton. But look at all of the bad press Clinton's been getting. And Obama hasn't gotten a total pass either. McCain on the other hand is getting smeared left and right. But they are all falling over themselves to give them a free pass. You paid for the ticket, keep riding the ferris wheel.

(Vote Gravel!)
Math
math
France

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »

What its worth ?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2022444/posts
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 02:22:56 AM »

It's possible that Obama was simply repeating a family tale as he remembered it without having a research team repeat it.

I don't think he was knowingly attempting to lie, as that would be the sort of the thing that could easily be disproven (I'm sure it's on record what army division liberated what camp) for very little political gain.

I think confusing two German concentration camps isn't that big of a deal.  His high school education almost certainly emphasized the Pacific Theater of the war several times more than most of ours. Clumsy?  Yes.  Indicative of something more?  Not reallly.

I don't really buy the argument that since Obama is known as a good speaker that he should be held to higher standards.  I say, let's all try and not be petty, regardless of what the media tells us our partisanship should cause us to feel about a minor quibble.  McCain doesn't want us in Iraq 100 years and almost certainly knows who's a Shia and a Sunni.  While one concentration camp was worse than the other, the difference doesn't really make a difference for the narrative being told or anything relevant to us.
zombones

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 03:11:48 AM »

lollin at the peeps who think this is gonna matter in a week
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2008, 04:19:37 AM »

This does not change the fact that Obama is the most eluquent, intelligent, educated person (with the best judgement ever) to run for president, obviously.

It's not like he said sunni instead of shia or remembered some sniper story the wrong way. Those were serious policy issues, after all.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 04:22:53 AM »

This does not change the fact that Obama is the most eluquent, intelligent, educated person (with the best judgement ever) to run for president, obviously.

It's not like he said sunni instead of shia or remembered some sniper story the wrong way. Those were serious policy issues, after all.

According to your logic then...this story shouldnt have anymore relevancy that Hillary lying about her trip and McCain being senile. So im curious what kind of point your trying to make...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »

If this happened to be true, Obama's got some 'splainin to do.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »

According to your logic then...this story shouldnt have anymore relevancy that Hillary lying about her trip and McCain being senile. So im curious what kind of point your trying to make...

I'm making two points:
1. The idea that Obama was a unique reincarnation of Christ set to change everything for the better was a bit bizarre. He's a human being and politician prone to many of the errors and flaws that others are.

2. It's always fun to see people deploy a double standard. Had it been Clinton or McCain OR, even funnier, Bush who had said something like that the Obama supporters would be all over it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies