Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:54:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?  (Read 6263 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2008, 10:13:52 PM »

As long as he was still a young, smart, good looking Senator from Illinois who opposed the war in Iraq from the start, he would have had a shot.

Also, are you saying voters are racist for voting for him?  It's their right to vote for whoever they think would be best and nobody stopped other people with his experience level or more experience from running. I don't understand the point you are trying to make as far as that goes.

Maybe so, but having 95% of the African American vote doesn't hurt when you are running against the Clinton machine. In these southern states, he started with 40-60% of the vote in most cases. With a handicap like that, it's almost impossible for anyone to win. Race plays a huge part in this movement. Being anti-war has never been the be all end all issue in the past, and it wouldn't have been this year. If it was, then Dennis Kucinich should have done better. It's his speeches and his race that has allowed him to do as well as he's done. John Edwards is considered a good, inspiring speaker, yet he didn't make it anywhere. Without the black vote, Obama would've had no shot against Hillary.

True, but no Democrat can win without huge black margins.

Just a note on your comment, Al Sharpton did very poorly amongst black voters.

And Obama would've too if he had lost Iowa. IIRC, Hillary was winning the black vote until Iowa. Blacks want to back a winner, and they knew Al Sharpton had no chance.

Yeah but he didn't. Did he win Iowa only because he's black too?

No. He won Iowa because of a number of factors. First, the state is tremendously idealistic, especially those that caucus. The Democrats who participate in the caucus tend to be your far left Democrats or students, and most of them non-working class. Second, it was a caucus, which Hillary showed time and again that she lacked any type of plan or organization at all to win. He does fine with the white vote in states that have no blacks in them.

As long as he was still a young, smart, good looking Senator from Illinois who opposed the war in Iraq from the start, he would have had a shot.

Also, are you saying voters are racist for voting for him?  It's their right to vote for whoever they think would be best and nobody stopped other people with his experience level or more experience from running. I don't understand the point you are trying to make as far as that goes.

Maybe so, but having 95% of the African American vote doesn't hurt when you are running against the Clinton machine. In these southern states, he started with 40-60% of the vote in most cases. With a handicap like that, it's almost impossible for anyone to win. Race plays a huge part in this movement. Being anti-war has never been the be all end all issue in the past, and it wouldn't have been this year. If it was, then Dennis Kucinich should have done better. It's his speeches and his race that has allowed him to do as well as he's done. John Edwards is considered a good, inspiring speaker, yet he didn't make it anywhere. Without the black vote, Obama would've had no shot against Hillary.

And Obama would've too if he had lost Iowa. IIRC, Hillary was winning the black vote until Iowa. Blacks want to back a winner, and they knew Al Sharpton had no chance.

I thought he and HRC were nearly tied until the racial attacks started coming around the time of the SC primary.  Besides, he won handily in lilly-white Iowa.

They may have been, I don't know, but he got over 80% of the black vote in SC. Then Bill came out and played the race card, supposedly, and the blacks united behind Obama 9 to 1.

Like I said earlier, there were different reasons why he won Iowa. He will win states in which the electorate is very liberal and no blacks are in the state at all. States with whites and blacks, he does poorly among the whites.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »

No.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »

Some, myself included, believe that Barack Obama does not have the experience or qualifications to become President.

However, two lessons from history to consider.

Warren Harding was not qualified for the Presidency, however, he was given the 1920 Republican nomination by the party bosses as a compromise candidate in part because he was handsome and a good speaker.  His Presidency turned out to be a disaster.

Richard Nixon was one of the few Presidential candidates who came to the Presidency truly qualified for the office, and look at how that turned out.

So lack of experience or an abundance of experience do not necessarily determine how successful the President will be.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »

Also, are you saying voters are racist for voting for him?  It's their right to vote for whoever they think would be best and nobody stopped other people with his experience level or more experience from running. I don't understand the point you are trying to make as far as that goes.

No. He won Iowa because of a number of factors. First, the state is tremendously idealistic, especially those that caucus. The Democrats who participate in the caucus tend to be your far left Democrats or students, and most of them non-working class. Second, it was a caucus, which Hillary showed time and again that she lacked any type of plan or organization at all to win. He does fine with the white vote in states that have no blacks in them.

Also, are you saying voters are racist for voting for him?  It's their right to vote for whoever they think would be best and nobody stopped other people with his experience level or more experience from running. I don't understand the point you are trying to make as far as that goes.

I thought he and HRC were nearly tied until the racial attacks started coming around the time of the SC primary.  Besides, he won handily in lilly-white Iowa.

They may have been, I don't know, but he got over 80% of the black vote in SC. Then Bill came out and played the race card, supposedly, and the blacks united behind Obama 9 to 1.

Like I said earlier, there were different reasons why he won Iowa. He will win states in which the electorate is very liberal and no blacks are in the state at all. States with whites and blacks, he does poorly among the whites.

Virginia, Maryland, CT, and DC have no blacks?  Interesting.....
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »

Did I say that? I said he does poorly among whites in states that have a relatively large black population and well among whites when a state has no blacks at all, like Iowa. He didn't win the white vote in DC, Virginia, Maryland, and Connecticut, did he?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »

Too much double-posting! Shield your eyes!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2008, 11:49:03 PM »

Did I say that? I said he does poorly among whites in states that have a relatively large black population and well among whites when a state has no blacks at all, like Iowa. He didn't win the white vote in DC, Virginia, Maryland, and Connecticut, did he?

He won it in D.C & Virginia, tied it in CT, MD he lost it but did quite well with the white vote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »

I don't know what "considered" is supposed to mean exactly. He wouldn't be the Democratic candidate for president, of that I'm pretty sure. Without being black Clinton would have landslided the black vote against him and getting a little more among applachian whites would not have made up for it.

His chances of winning a general election in general terms would be higher though. He would obviously have been a successful politician regardless.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »

He isn't Black.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2008, 10:42:46 AM »

Considering the number of times someone when from state senator to presidential nominee in four years, I would say that his race was an advantage.

It wasn't the sole clause, but it is part of the equation.
elcorazon

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »

Would John McCain be considered for President had he not been a POW for years and married a rich bitch.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »

Would John McCain be considered for President had he not been a POW for years and married a rich bitch.

^^^^^^^^^^
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »

Admiral McCain probably would have been, yes.  The money helped, I'm sure.
Conan
conan

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »

He would be considered but would not have won. It's probable to say that a white version of barack obama wouldn't have gotten 80-90% of the black vote in every contest.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »

He won it in D.C & Virginia, tied it in CT, MD he lost it but did quite well with the white vote.

1. It's fascinating that you know how DC voted, given that I've seen no exit poll from there. Where is that information to be found? Anyway, DC's white vote...lol.

2. In Virginia he swept the white independent and Republican vote but he lost the white Democrat vote in a landslide. And that was in the midst of Hillary's absolute low-point.

3. In Connecticut he lost the white vote, albeit very, very narrowly. 9% of the CT Democratic primary vote was black. I don't know what your threshold is for considering a state to have a large black factor, but that's not incredibly high, imo.

Anyway, no way would Obama have won in the South without being black.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^

It's interesting that the two of you consider fundamental choices and decisions in life to be comparable to what skin one is born with, but I can't agree with that view of "race" personally.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »

1. It's fascinating that you know how DC voted, given that I've seen no exit poll from there. Where is that information to be found? Anyway, DC's white vote...lol.

2. In Virginia he swept the white independent and Republican vote but he lost the white Democrat vote in a landslide. And that was in the midst of Hillary's absolute low-point.

3. In Connecticut he lost the white vote, albeit very, very narrowly. 9% of the CT Democratic primary vote was black. I don't know what your threshold is for considering a state to have a large black factor, but that's not incredibly high, imo.

Anyway, no way would Obama have won in the South without being black.

Do you have a list of states where Obama won:

1.  The white vote.

2.  The white working class vote.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2008, 06:08:17 PM »

Clearly Obama's race has helped him overall in the primary (not as much as many people think, but yes, it has helped more than it has hurt). It hurts him overall in the general (again not as much as people believe, but it's there).

If he were more than half-black he very likely would have never had the upbringing necessary to put him in a position to be considered for President, sadly.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2008, 06:11:44 PM by Huma Abedin 08' »

Clearly Obama's race has helped him overall in the primary (not as much as many people think, but yes, it has helped more than it has hurt). It hurts him overall in the general (again not as much as people believe, but it's there).

If he were more than half-black he very likely would have never had the upbringing necessary to put him in a position to be considered for President, sadly.

The most wealthiest, educated and elite immigrants to the US surprisingly come from Africa (Obama's dad was apart of this cohort).

The one thing that could have made things infinitely easier on Obama would have been if his dad wasn't a Muslim.
nyquil_man
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -2.61

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

Why did you ask if you already had your answer?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies