Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:50:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?  (Read 6225 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »

Of course not, I'm sure others will argue otherwise.  It is incredibly racist that this man is considered for the job, they have plenty of fine people in office as long as him or have much more experience.  But it was the "in" thing to have a black guy
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »

Of course not, I'm sure others will argue otherwise.  It is incredibly racist that this man is considered for the job, they have plenty of fine people in office as long as him or have much more experience.  But it was the "in" thing to have a black guy

Would Hillary Clinton be considered for the presidency if her husband had not been president himself?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

Would Hillary Clinton be considered for the presidency if her husband had not been president himself?
No, does that make either one acceptable?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »

Obama is special, and if he still had the charisma, and had been elected to the Senate in 2004, and given that great keynote speech, then he would be considered.  If he were some boring, 46 year old random person named Bill Obama, then he would not be considered.

It isn't racism at all.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »

Obama is special, and if he still had the charisma, and had been elected to the Senate in 2004, and given that great keynote speech, then he would be considered.  If he were some boring, 46 year old random person named Bill Obama, then he would not be considered.

It isn't racism at all.
Obama is "special" alright.  The man is using race as a veichle of influencing voters, he is near declaring a vote against him is racist.  He has taken Michael Steele campaigning to a nat'l level
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:24:11 PM »

It isn't racism at all.
Obama is "special" alright.  The man is using race as a veichle of influencing voters, he is near declaring a vote against him is racist.  He has taken Michael Steele campaigning to a nat'l level

He has done no such thing; it's some moronic Obama supporters who do that; Obama is a fantastic candidate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »

He has done no such thing; it's some moronic Obama supporters who do that; Obama is a fantastic candidate.
The Dems had plenty of incredible options, winning options:
Al Gore, Brad Henry, Mark Warner, Evan Bayh, Tom Vilsack

But no, Dem elites pushed through the token candidate of their choice
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »

No, does that make either one acceptable?

Then I wonder why you don't go after her instead.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 05:26:23 PM »

You forgot to mention *cough* the incumbent president *cough*.

As you can see, awarding presidential nominations purely based on personal merit is overrated and maybe even inappropriate. So why the complain?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »

Every President ever has been President primarily for some other reason than merit.  Sorry.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

Every President ever has been President primarily for some other reason than merit.  Sorry.
Does that make it any better?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

As long as he was still a young, smart, good looking Senator from Illinois who opposed the war in Iraq from the start, he would have had a shot.

Also, are you saying voters are racist for voting for him?  It's their right to vote for whoever they think would be best and nobody stopped other people with his experience level or more experience from running. I don't understand the point you are trying to make as far as that goes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »

That's your typical way to weasel your way out of any embarrasing confrontation?

The fact remains that very few presidents or presidential candidates are truly qualified for the job.

One must wonder why you choose to go after Obama. Especially considering the president that is currently in office.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »

None of them wanted to run.  They weren't pushed out; and Vilsack would have been a sh*tty candidate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »

That's your typical way to weasel your way out of any embarrasing confrontation?

The fact remains that very few presidents or presidential candidates are truly qualified for the job.

One must wonder why you choose to go after Obama. Especially considering the president that is currently in office.
The president in office had qualifications other than his father, he was the governor of one of the largest states for 6 years.  That is more qualification than a lot of presidents.  Other than being black, Obama has not accomplished anything or lead anyone.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »

The president in office had qualifications other than his father, he was the governor of one of the largest states for 6 years.  That is more qualification than a lot of presidents.  Other than being black, Obama has not accomplished anything or lead anyone.

bla bla bla
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »

Would Barack Obama be Barack Obama if he wasn't black?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »

Other than being black, Obama has not accomplished anything or lead anyone.

EIC of Harvard Law Review.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »

Would Barack Obama be Barack Obama if he wasn't black?

would DWTL be DWL if he wasn't an annoying immature partisan hack?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »

1) Decided not run, may have won if he did.
2) Decided not to run, too conservative for most Democrats
3) Decided not to run, might have have had a shot if he did.
4) Blame Clinton, not Obama. She almost certainly pushed him out of the race.
5) Sorry but he was way too dull to even have a chance in his own state's contest.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »

bla bla bla
I'm sorry, maybe I should dumb this down a bit for you.  You are easily the worst debater this forum has ever seen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 05:37:27 PM »

Uh huh.  It'd be fascinating if we could see into the parallel dimension where any of those people had won the nomination this year, just to see if you'd actually be lauding their "incredible" and "winning" candidacy.  Somehow I doubt it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

Other than being black, Obama has not accomplished anything or lead anyone.

Being black is an accomplishment?  Damn my inferior DNA!!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »

Uh huh.  It'd be fascinating if we could see into the parallel dimension where any of those people had won the nomination this year, just to see if you'd actually be lauding their "incredible" and "winning" candidacy.  Somehow I doubt it.
I would have supported any of those people (spare Gore when in environmentalist mode) over McCain
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »

bla bla bla
I'm sorry, maybe I should dumb this down a bit for you.  You are easily the worst debater this forum has ever seen.

look, I'm gonna stop here for now. Your arguments very often contain a question designed to distract from the originial debate. Very frequently, your only defense consists of asking whether "something is better" than something else.

I won't claim to be a superb debater, but I consider myself (and practically anyone on this forum) to be far more skilled and reasonable than anything you've ever attempted to argue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies