Most qualified President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:56:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most qualified President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most qualified President  (Read 3804 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »

While this is certainly up for debate, my answer is, overall, JQ Adams.  He went with his father to Paris during the Revolution, Secretary to the Ambassador to Russia, Ambassador to the Netherlands, and Russia, Senator, and Secretary of State, all before becoming President.  However, he wasn't well suited to the political realities of the 1820's, because all foreign issues had been handled by him while he was Secretary of State.

For the political climate, I'd say Madison was the best.  He helped draft the Constitution, served as a Congressman and Senator, and Secretary of State.  He was perfect for the 1810's.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »

James Buchanan was probably the most qualified man to be president in history. He was a state representative, congressman, senator, twice nominated for Vice-President but never accepting ("I do not wish to be buried until I am actually dead"), Secretary of State, Ambassador to the Court of St. James and Ambassador to Russia. He was politically savvy and never offended a soul, always staying in the middle on every argument. In short, one of our more incompetent presidents was very well prepared for the office, in both experience and temperament. Though I beleive that Buchanan was not that bad of a president (as I am a strict constructionist), history has chosen differently.

His predecessor, Abraham Lincoln, was a state legislator and served a single term (1847-1849) in the House of Representatives. I will never buy the "experience" argument when voting for a president.   
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »

I will never buy the "experience" argument when voting for a president.   

It does seem that, in general, the most experienced Presidentis do rather poorly, which I think is odd.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:52:20 PM »

Dick Lugar, the man we never had.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:23:02 PM »

Quite possibly correct.

I still think John Kerry was more than qualified, as well.  But I realize that's hardly a popular opinion.  :-)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

James Buchanan was probably the most qualified man to be president in history. He was a state representative, congressman, senator, twice nominated for Vice-President but never accepting ("I do not wish to be buried until I am actually dead"), Secretary of State, Ambassador to the Court of St. James and Ambassador to Russia. He was politically savvy and never offended a soul, always staying in the middle on every argument. In short, one of our more incompetent presidents was very well prepared for the office, in both experience and temperament. Though I beleive that Buchanan was not that bad of a president (as I am a strict constructionist), history has chosen differently.

His predecessor, Abraham Lincoln, was a state legislator and served a single term (1847-1849) in the House of Representatives. I will never buy the "experience" argument when voting for a president.   

Sorry, but Lincoln was Buchanan's successor, not predecessor.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »

James K. Polk. The man did accomplish all of his campaign promises.
Angel of Death
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Info/experience.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 04:37:06 PM »

The old George Bush. He had done everything.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:58:27 AM »

No, because it's really entirely unrelated.  Legislators are not experienced to be President.

Although I think that executive experience is important, I think that you're underrating legislative experience.  Having experience with foreign leaders and with foreign affairs, the national media, connections in congress and with national figures, and more experience with national issues all seem pretty important to me.  And it's not as if a congressman does no leading at all, as they have to lead their own staffs and committees.

Although I'd take a generic governor over a generic congressman, I would definitely take a generic congressman over a generic businessman.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »

Oh and I would think Washington, as a prospector, the manager of a large estate, an officer in two armies, an experienced revolutionary (and a delegate to the continental congresses), a state legislator, a local judge, military commander-in-chief, and delegate to the Constitutional Convention would be among the most qualified, at least.

Jefferson was also qualified as a lawyer, governor, secretary of state, party founder and leader, writer of the constitution, and ambassador.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »

In the last fifty years, George Herbert Walker Bush had the best resume.  Youngest Navy pilot in WWII, moderate size business owner (Zapata Oil), Congressman, Diplomat, including Envoy to China, Party Chair, CIA director, Vice President for two terms.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

Both G.H.W Bush's and Herbet Hoover's public resumes are amazing. They were absolutely qualified for the office unfortunately Hoover was there at the wrong time.  As for Bush, the fact that he took no action when the Soviet Union collapsed was the right move however he could handle the domestic problem effectively.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt, or George HW Bush.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »

Jefferson was also qualified as a lawyer, governor, secretary of state, party founder and leader, writer of the constitution, and ambassador.

Jefferson was in Paris during the Convention; he played no part in writing the Constitution.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies