New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:34:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages  (Read 20244 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: May 28, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »

In another sickening move, Gov. David Paterson (D-NY) just announced within the last hour that the state of New York would now recognize gay marriages.

I must say that I am VERY disappointed and deeply saddened by this.  I support civil unions, but I do not and will never support or recognize a same-sex marriage.

This makes 3 states I could never live in (Massachusetts, California, and now New York).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »

In another sickening move, Gov. David Paterson (D-NY) just announced within the last hour that the state of New York would now recognize gay marriages.

I must say that I am VERY disappointed and deeply saddened by this.  I support civil unions, but I do not and will never support or recognize a same-sex marriage.

This makes 3 states I could never live in (Massachusetts, California, and now New York).

What did same sex marriage ever do to you?

But please...stay in Oklahoma...better for everyone.

It just goes against everything I believe.

Um... what is that last statement supposed to mean?  To be honest, I take it as an insult.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:37 PM »

What did same sex marriage ever do to you?

But please...stay in Oklahoma...better for everyone.

It just goes against everything I believe.

Um... what is that last statement supposed to mean?

It's okay.  I think evangelical Christians are less human than the rest of us.  They're just weakminded sheep looking for a shepherd.  They just go against everything I believe.  In fact, I think the government should discourage evangelical Christianity through passive discrimination... no Evangelicals in the military.. they might offend the other "normal" people and try to spread their undesirable religion.. and two Evangelical Christians should not be able to get married... it's just wrong.  I mean, I have no good reason other than I just believe it is unnatural.

Of course everything I just said is ludicrous... but I see it as no different than opposing gay marriage.  

Like Ellen said.. gay marriage is like womens' and civil rights.  It's the same fight every time.  And the conservatives opposed to gay marriage will say "it's not at all like civil rights or womens' rights"... just like the conservatives opposed to civil rights said "it's nothing like womens' rights"... and the process goes on and on and on.

You know what goes against everything I believe in?

Watching people suffer from the totally unnecessary hate rooted in the "beliefs" of people like you.

I have never expressed "hatred" for gays and lesbians.  I've got two friends who are gay.  I just won't throw the Bible out the window and support gay marriage.  I believe so strongly in the Bible that I cannot support gay marriage.  Marriage is an institution designed by God for a man and a woman.  I cannot in good conscience support a measure that goes against that.  I totally understand there are people who don't believe in the Bible, or don't believe in that part of the Bible.  That's fine.  If my gay friends wanted to marry someone of their own gender, then I would walk to the civil union table with them, but I cannot and will not walk with them to the marriage ceremony.  It doesn't mean I don't love them, I just love my God more.

By the way, the remark about not being able to live in those three states was a sarcastic statement.  I apologize for it being taken the wrong way.

I'm sorry if you think all Southern Baptist Christians are "bigoted".  To be honest, I'd rather be called a "bigot" then to be called a "Bible compromiser".
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »

Wow.  This is so much fun.  This is exactly the kind of response I desired.  I win.

I just don't see how kindly expressing my belief in the Bible to be shoving it down someone's throat.  Am I supposed to remain silent about the Bible?  Sorry, No Can Do.

Just because I am a Christian who believes so strongly in God's Word does not make me a bigot as some of you may be implying.  If you still consider me a bigot, WHO CARES!!!!!

And, no, I will not stay in Oklahoma.  I will be free to go anywhere my God takes me.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »

Who is this other fag friend you have, bushoklahoma?

My network administrator from the Boston camp last year.  He will be in Atlanta with me for three weeks, then go back to Boston from there.  He is a student at Penn State.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »

Just because I am a Christian who believes so strongly in God's Word does not make me a bigot as some of you may be implying.

No one has said that. We're calling you a bigot because you're twisting a gospel of love and acceptingness to rationalize your subconscious anti-gay hatred and then we when we call you on it you just plug your ears and go "LALALALA I LOVE JESUS AND JESUS HATED GAYS TOO".

Ok... Point taken...

Let's put this another way, a more correct way.  I have friends who are gay men and I have known and worked with lesbian women.  I don't care for their lifestyle, but I accept them as men and women and as creations of the Almighty God.  It is my job and, more than that, my honor to love them just like I would my straight friends.  The only thing I cannot do, and have a good conscience about it, is condone their marriage should they want to.  I won't stop them, and I will still be their friend, but don't expect me to be in the wedding audience.  I do support civil unions, however (which took me a long time to get to that point).  I must say, that counting, I actually have three friends who are in the GLBT community.  The third friend is a guy from high school is actually a cross-dresser/transsexual now.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »

Just because I am a Christian who believes so strongly in God's Word does not make me a bigot as some of you may be implying.

No one has said that. We're calling you a bigot because you're twisting a gospel of love and acceptingness to rationalize your subconscious anti-gay hatred and then we when we call you on it you just plug your ears and go "LALALALA I LOVE JESUS AND JESUS HATED GAYS TOO".

Ok... Point taken...

Let's put this another way, a more correct way.  I have friends who are gay men and I have known and worked with lesbian women.  I don't care for their lifestyle, but I accept them as men and women and as creations of the Almighty God.  It is my job and, more than that, my honor to love them just like I would my straight friends.  The only thing I cannot do, and have a good conscience about it, is condone their marriage should they want to.  I won't stop them, and I will still be their friend, but don't expect me to be in the wedding audience.  I do support civil unions, however (which took me a long time to get to that point).  I must say, that counting, I actually have three friends who are in the GLBT community.  The third friend is a guy from high school is actually a cross-dresser/transsexual now.

that all sounds good, but then why would the legality of gay marriage in a state prevent you from moving there, as you said in a previous post?

It wouldn't, I was being sarcastic with that statement.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:39:49 PM »

Every day I get the feeling more and more that Patterson will not seek another term

RUDY '10!

Do you really want to give us such a gift?
Do you really think there is a better GOP option?  Who would they go with?  Peter King, Vito Fosella?

The GOP really doesn't have a better option which shows how absolutely pathetic the NY GOP is.   Anyway, how exactly does this make you think Paterson won't seek re-election?? 
Stunts like this are usually pulled by politicians who do not care about being re-elected, or VT/San Fran politicians

Don't ever call San Francisco that again.

Hey, if you call Oklahoma politics crazy (which they are), we have the right to call San Francisco politics weird (which they are).  Turn about's fair play.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies