New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:07:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages  (Read 20242 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: May 28, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »

In another sickening move, Gov. David Paterson (D-NY) just announced within the last hour that the state of New York would now recognize gay marriages.

I must say that I am VERY disappointed and deeply saddened by this.  I support civil unions, but I do not and will never support or recognize a same-sex marriage.

This makes 3 states I could never live in (Massachusetts, California, and now New York).

What did same sex marriage ever do to you?

But please...stay in Oklahoma...better for everyone.

It just goes against everything I believe.

Um... what is that last statement supposed to mean?

It's okay.  I think evangelical Christians are less human than the rest of us.  They're just weakminded sheep looking for a shepherd.  They just go against everything I believe.  In fact, I think the government should discourage evangelical Christianity through passive discrimination... no Evangelicals in the military.. they might offend the other "normal" people and try to spread their undesirable religion.. and two Evangelical Christians should not be able to get married... it's just wrong.  I mean, I have no good reason other than I just believe it is unnatural.

Of course everything I just said is ludicrous... but I see it as no different than opposing gay marriage.  

Like Ellen said.. gay marriage is like womens' and civil rights.  It's the same fight every time.  And the conservatives opposed to gay marriage will say "it's not at all like civil rights or womens' rights"... just like the conservatives opposed to civil rights said "it's nothing like womens' rights"... and the process goes on and on and on.

You know what goes against everything I believe in?

Watching people suffer from the totally unnecessary hate rooted in the "beliefs" of people like you.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »

The institution of marriage has been around a lot longer than the Bible.  The only thing that has stopped gays from marrying has been being vast outnumbered by people that do not like them.

Nobody ever said the government should force Baptist churches into marrying gays... as a church, they have a constitutional right to deny marriage to anybody they wish.

But on the other side, the government has no right to bar a church from marrying gays.  As a church, they have a constitutional right to marry anybody they wish.

The government can't discriminate in this way, especially not on "traditional religious" grounds.

The government must recognize the marriage of two people, regardless of who they are.  It has nothing to do with the Bible or the Koran or any other religious book.

We are not a nation founded on the Bible.  Many of our principles stem from Christianity because those are generally good principles that promote freedom.  Banning of gay marriage or stoning adulterers is not one of those.  We are a secular nation that must recognize the freedom of people to marry the person they love, regardless of sex.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies