New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages  (Read 20251 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: May 28, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »

Good job Patterson
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

And anyways, Patterson isn't saying that the state is going to start issuing same-sex marriage licenses, just that they're going to recognized same-sex marriages that occur in other places.

They can't do that without changing statute (which strangely enough presents a lot of problems in a state like NY, go figure). 

And of course, the Gov's change in designation will be challenged through the courts as well.

I think that is what they're doing... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/nyregion/29marriage.html?hp

I may be misunderstanding the legal wording though

Basically, it's a directive to agencies to recognize same-sex marriage.  As mentioned by the article, the interesting problem will arise when those same-sex marriages end up (say in divorce) and in conflict with NY statute as interpreted by the courts, which specifically defines marriage between a man and a woman.  And I still expect the original declaration to get a court challenge.

I personally don't think its the smart move.  Either pass it through the legislature (which probably doesn't have the votes, not to mention the Senate will stop it totally) or not at all.  This is kind of like taking into through the back door (no pun intended) and will do a nice job of pissing off the Catholic church, for starters.

The problem is in the State Sneate.  It clearly has enough votes in the assembly and passed last year 85-61.  Since then it has been stalled in the Senate where Majority leader Joe Bruno has refused to bring the bill up for a vote.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:03:09 PM »

Same sex Marriage foes appear to have little options

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-stgay315708509may31,0,7355017.story
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »

Every day I get the feeling more and more that Patterson will not seek another term

RUDY '10!

Do you really want to give us such a gift?
Do you really think there is a better GOP option?  Who would they go with?  Peter King, Vito Fosella?

The GOP really doesn't have a better option which shows how absolutely pathetic the NY GOP is.   Anyway, how exactly does this make you think Paterson won't seek re-election?? 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:31 PM »

Every day I get the feeling more and more that Patterson will not seek another term

RUDY '10!

Do you really want to give us such a gift?
Do you really think there is a better GOP option?  Who would they go with?  Peter King, Vito Fosella?

The GOP really doesn't have a better option which shows how absolutely pathetic the NY GOP is.   Anyway, how exactly does this make you think Paterson won't seek re-election?? 
Stunts like this are usually pulled by politicians who do not care about being re-elected, or VT/San Fran politicians

Stunt?  How so??  Generally that would refer to some wildly unpopular decision, and well this isn't an unpopular decision....
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies