Attention Supreme Court(Again): Complaint against the Senate of the Atlas Forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:37:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attention Supreme Court(Again): Complaint against the Senate of the Atlas Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Attention Supreme Court(Again): Complaint against the Senate of the Atlas Forum  (Read 3538 times)
Patunia
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2004, 03:15:24 PM »

Having reached the age of majority I resubmit my petition:

As a citizen of the Midwest Region I find it highly egregious that the Senate feels it can legislate into law a set of values that citizens of any given region may not hold as their own. Specifically I refer to bill F.L. 1-2 (Civil Unions Act.) And I find such an act to actually be in violation of the constitution under the 4th amendmant, in which it is stated that "Each region has the right to govern themselves..." Nowhere in the constitution does it give the Senate the authority to impose such legislation upon the Regions. As such, I petition the Supreme Court to review this legislation and to rule on its constitutional value.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »

So, using your "logic", the Senate doesn't have the authority to do anything....
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »

So, using your "logic", the Senate doesn't have the authority to do anything....

On the contrary. The Senate can certainly enact legislation that encompasses interstate commerce. The US senate passes all the bills in these areas using one of 2 tests. Either its interstate commerce or black mail...I mean you get these funds if you do this. But the way this senate is acting is to give the regions absolutely no say whatsoever in their own laws. I want Federalism, not federal dictaorship that changes every 2 months. And, to my view, the 4th amendment is pretty clear on this.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 04:17:17 PM »

On the contrary. The Senate can certainly enact legislation that encompasses interstate commerce. The US senate passes all the bills in these areas using one of 2 tests. Either its interstate commerce or black mail...I mean you get these funds if you do this. But the way this senate is acting is to give the regions absolutely no say whatsoever in their own laws. I want Federalism, not federal dictaorship that changes every 2 months. And, to my view, the 4th amendment is pretty clear on this.

Every 4 monthes...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 04:17:59 PM »

this is so stupid....
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 04:19:37 PM »

Every 4 monthes...

Section 6. (Senatorial Elections)

Clause 1. Senate Elections shall occur every two months, at which time half of the Senate members will have their seats up for election. Regional Senatorial elections shall occur during the same time as the Presidential Election and a midterm election shall be held to elect the other half of the Senate body which represents the districts. All candidates who wish to have their name placed on the ballot must register as a candidate at least twenty days before the general election and state their political party affiliation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »

I ask that this frivolous lawsuit be thrown out.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 04:20:10 PM »

It's like a troll with the ability to quote things.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 04:21:01 PM »

Please explain to me why it is so stupid. Do you fear the abilities of the people? Or do you fear the loss of senatorial powers?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 04:21:22 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2004, 04:21:50 PM by Lt. Governor King »

Every 4 monthes...

Clause 1. Senate Elections shall occur every two months, at which time half of the Senate members will have their seats up for election. Regional Senatorial elections shall occur during the same time as the Presidential Election and a midterm election shall be held to elect the other half of the Senate body which represents the districts. All candidates who wish to have their name placed on the ballot must register as a candidate at least twenty days before the general election and state their political party affiliation.

We have since amended that document. There are no Regional Senate seats....and ballot filing is 7 days instead of 20...
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 04:22:12 PM »

It's like a troll with the ability to quote things.

Of course. Resort to calling someone a troll instead of debating the point.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 04:23:58 PM »

no lawsuit is frivolous if the intent is sincere.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 04:24:10 PM »

Every 4 monthes...

We have since amended that document. There are no Regional Senate seats....and ballot filing is 7 days instead of 20...

Then I stand corrected. I think I remember reading that amendment, but have only looked at it once. Ive been reffering to the original constitutional draft. But I am aware that no subsequent amendments affect this case.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »

If this is not proof positive that the citizen posting minimum limit needs to be raised, then I don't know what is.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 04:25:46 PM »

That doesn't mean the whole Senate is elected at once...first we elect A seats, 2 months later B seats, then A seats 2 months after that. and so on...
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2004, 04:26:21 PM »

Typical liberal response Tongue

no lawsuit is frivolous if the intent is sincere.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2004, 04:27:46 PM »

If this is not proof positive that the citizen posting minimum limit needs to be raised, then I don't know what is.

Do you fear intelligent debate? And how high will you raise the bar? I have not submitted frivolous posts, yet at this rate Ill have over 150 in a week.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 04:31:30 PM »

Patunia makes some good points. I think he/she is worthy of being heard.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »

Every 4 monthes...

I have just reread the new amendments to the constitution, and no where does it say that the practice of holding elections for half the senate every 2 months has been changed. If 5 new senators were to take office then congressional mandates could change considarably.  I stand by my earlier statements.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 04:33:41 PM »

Of course, StatesRights has to come to rescue on an issue involving states rights... Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2004, 04:34:49 PM »

We must prevent the UAC and AFIP from usurping our rights as regions.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2004, 04:35:07 PM »

Of course, StatesRights has to come to rescue on an issue involving states rights... Tongue

Nobody needs rescuing around accept the people from a tyranical senate Tongue
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2004, 04:35:34 PM »

We must prevent the UAC and AFIP from usurping our rights as regions.

*has done no such thing* Tongue
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2004, 04:35:47 PM »

I urge the Supreme Court to throw out this frivilous lawsuit.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2004, 04:43:48 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2004, 04:54:01 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

Ok, here's how things stand:

Patunia raises a valid point, mainly the rights of regions to pass laws where the federal government has no authority.  However, the Mideast has no laws concerning any issues you have outlined.  If the Mideastern Regional Government were to pass a law banning civil unions, for instance, then we would have a valid conflict to be settled.  Patunia as a citizen cannot unilaterally sue if he has not been personally affected by this federal law.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies