Iraqis claim Marines are pushing Christianity in Fallujah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:38:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you support the promotion of Christianity in Iraq by U.S. Marines?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Iraqis claim Marines are pushing Christianity in Fallujah  (Read 3263 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »

link

By Jamal Naji and Leila Fadel | McClatchy Newspapers

FALLUJAH, Iraq — At the western entrance to the Iraqi city of Fallujah Tuesday, Muamar Anad handed his residence badge to the U.S. Marines guarding the city. They checked to be sure that he was a city resident, and when they were done, Anad said, a Marine slipped a coin out of his pocket and put it in his hand.

Out of fear, he accepted it, Anad said. When he was inside the city, the college student said, he looked at one side of the coin. "Where will you spend eternity?" it asked.

He flipped it over, and on the other side it read, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16."

"They are trying to convert us to Christianity," said Anad, a Sunni Muslim like most residents of this city in Anbar province. At home, he told his story, and his relatives echoed their disapproval: They'd been given the coins, too, he said.

Fallujah, the scene of a bloody U.S. offensive against Sunni insurgents in 2004, has calmed and grown less hostile to American troops since residents turned against al Qaida in Iraq, which had tried to force its brand of Islamist extremism on the population.

Now residents of the city are abuzz that some Americans whom they consider occupiers are also acting as Christian missionaries. Residents said some Marines at the western entrance to their city have been passing out the coins for two days in what they call a "humiliating" attempt to convert them to Christianity.

[cont.]
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

crusade!!!!!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »

Not the way it was done in the article no.  One shouldn't pimp his/her religion while wearing the uniform of the US military.  Off duty might be a different story.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »

Certainly not behavior that should be allowed for on-duty soldiers (and it isn't, the article confirms that much) but I don't see this as a terrible travesty or anything. As long as nobody is being forced to embrace Christianity it's no big deal even if it's inappropriate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »

Certainly not behavior that should be allowed for on-duty soldiers (and it isn't, the article confirms that much) but I don't see this as a terrible travesty or anything. As long as nobody is being forced to embrace Christianity it's no big deal even if it's inappropriate.

the way it's depicted in the article is extremely damaging to the mission: Iraqis will resent the US presence in the region even more if they feel American troops are trying to push Christinity on them.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:15:29 PM »

the way it's depicted in the article is extremely damaging to the mission: Iraqis will resent the US presence in the region even more if they feel American troops are trying to push Christinity on them.

I don't disagree with that, I just think the Iraqis in the article are making a bigger deal of this than they rationally should be. But it's a religious issue, so I guess rationality is a bit too much to ask. Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

I don't disagree with that, I just think the Iraqis in the article are making a bigger deal of this than they rationally should be. But it's a religious issue, so I guess rationality is a bit too much to ask. Tongue

Their culture, for better or for worse, doesn't especially shine on Christian evangelization.  It's hypocritical, but so are most arch-religious societies.  If we are going to practice cultural sensitivity, not doing this would be a good place to start.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »

Well, yes. But you can only force rational decisions on those under your control; in this case, the soldiers. No proselytizing, on or off-duty.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »

Well, yes. But you can only force rational decisions on those under your control; in this case, the soldiers. No proselytizing, on or off-duty.

Again, I have no disagreement with that. I'm just making some commentary - I think it's kind of dumb that they are making a fuss over this.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

Given what has taken place at the Air Force Academy over the last seven years, I am not surprised to see extremist Evangelicalism taking hold in other branches of service.  I'm sorry that it's happening, but hardly shocked.

What's the old adage?  "First come the missionaries.  Then come the guns."  Bush just switched the order.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »

Good!
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »

Uh...no.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Huh
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »

No. Not at this current point in time, but if Iraq is going to be a democracy then we'll have to discuss allowing other religions to practice eventually.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:59:12 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2008, 10:01:02 PM by Evilmexicandictator »

Never mind they were on duty. They should only be allowed to evangelize, when they are out of uniform. Still some Muslims seem to be paranoid about people promoting religions, if their's is so much better why not let it have competition? We let them promote their religion here.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »

Sorry, forgot to add my sarcasm disclaimer.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »

Yeah, that needed a smiley.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 10:51:23 PM »

No. Not at this current point in time, but if Iraq is going to be a democracy then we'll have to discuss allowing other religions to practice eventually.

Under Saddam Hussein, evil as he was, minority religions enjoyed far more freedom than they currently do. 

But even so, there is a massive difference between permitting indigenous Iraqi Christians to witness to their countrymen about Jesus...and allowing armed occupiers from the USA to proselytize. It reeks of injustice and hypocrisy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 10:57:29 PM »

Given what has taken place at the Air Force Academy over the last seven years, I am not surprised to see extremist Evangelicalism taking hold in other branches of service.  I'm sorry that it's happening, but hardly shocked.
You seem to be implying that the USAF is full of Fundies.  I've met a lot of AF dudes (I've worked as one or with them since 1994) and I haven't seen it.  There are a lot more drunks than there are Fundies.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »

You seem to be implying that the USAF is full of Fundies.  I've met a lot of AF dudes (I've worked as one or with them since 1994) and I haven't seen it.  There are a lot more drunks than there are Fundies.

Not the USAF, necessarily.  The USAFA.  The Academy.  I'll see if I can dig up some of the news reports.  It was getting pretty awful there for anyone who was not a fundie Christian.  Some of the complaints came from Christian chaplains who were not sufficiently fundamentalist.  I suspect a lot of this has to do with the proximity of the Academy to several massive McChurches and Focus on the Family.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »

Yeah, I know about that stuff.  I just didn't want it to look like the USAF or the military in general was full of Fundies.  It isn't.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 12:29:09 AM »

Yeah, I know about that stuff.  I just didn't want it to look like the USAF or the military in general was full of Fundies.  It isn't.

How would you know?  Who else would be crazy enough to go into the military?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »

How would you know?  Who else would be crazy enough to go into the military?
That's right, you'd know better than I.  Your preconceived notions trump my anecdotal evidence.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »

I'm sure that's true, Dead. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

Not by officers on duty.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length