Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:13:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain  (Read 3000 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 07:27:11 PM »

Gregg is very smart, fiscal cautious and flinty. My kind of guy. Keating is scandal tarred (I don't remember the details, but they can be looked up).

Well, I didn't see any scandals tarring him on Wikipedia. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Keating Five (that's Charles Keating)?  And the others?  I could understand Rell not contributing a lot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »

It would be a mistake for McCain to pick a VP with the surname "Keating". Aha. "McCain-Keating" might remind people of things I'm sure he'd rather stay forgotten.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 09:12:01 PM by Torie »

Gregg is very smart, fiscal cautious and flinty. My kind of guy. Keating is scandal tarred (I don't remember the details, but they can be looked up).

Well, I didn't see any scandals tarring him on Wikipedia. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Keating Five (that's Charles Keating)?  And the others?  I could understand Rell not contributing a lot.

You can read more about Frank Keating here.  The scandal was a weird one involving a phony drug, money fed to Keating over a decade, and the founder of the Dreyfus Mutual Funds, Jack Dreyfus. It ended his political career, permanently. Prior to that he generated buzz.

I have become cynical about politicians for a reason. I have lived just too damn long. The Native Americans (some of them) had it right.  At a certain point, dyspeptic geezers need to go up to the mountain to freeze to death. They just get to be too high maintenance and demoralizing, to the idealistic young filled with hope. Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 11:43:27 PM »

The Native Americans (some of them) had it right.  At a certain point, dyspeptic geezers need to go up to the mountain to freeze to death. They just get to be too high maintenance and demoralizing, to the idealistic young filled with hope. Tongue

<SPEW>  LOL!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 12:06:20 AM »

NO, its Fred Smith, FedEx CEO.   He would be a really awesome choice. (He's a Memphian Smiley)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_W._Smith
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »

If only John McCain could select Olympia Snowe, Richard Lugar or Colin Powell as his running mate. Not going to happen in the 21st Century Republican Party, but one can only hope.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 10:13:25 AM »

Some of these have been mentioned, but are not mainstream:

Sen. John Thune
Fmr. Gov. Tom Ridge
Fmr. Lt. Gov. Michael Steele
Fmr. Gov. Christine Todd Whitman

And my personal favorite, but no chance in hell:
Fmr. Gov. Gary B. Johnson
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 10:30:27 AM »

DeMint, Thune, there's a good possibiliy he'll choose a businessperson.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »

Can McCain pull off selecting someone like Fred Smith as his VIP?  Like I said, I think it draws subtle attention to Obama's name as outlandish.  But, McCain's line against Obama as inexperienced would have to become more nuanced.  If you stat to count things besides high-level governmental positions as 'experience' then you open yourself up to Obama arguing that his community leadership, teaching classes, historical background, etc. count towards his own experience. Sure, Fed Smith was a CEO and a leader, but my point is that one of McCain's most powerful lines of attack is going to become slightly more difficult to implement.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »

If you stat to count things besides high-level governmental positions as 'experience' then you open yourself up to Obama arguing that his community leadership, teaching classes, historical background, etc. count towards his own experience. Sure, Fed Smith was a CEO and a leader, but my point is that one of McCain's most powerful lines of attack is going to become slightly more difficult to implement.

Yes, exactly.  That's why McCain is never going to pick a running mate with as less experience than Obama.  Because Bush's policies are a drag on McCain, McCain has to maximize any advantages he has over Obama with regard to "personal qualities" (i.e., anything not tied to a particular policy issue) like experience.  Undercutting the experience argument by picking a running mate like Fred Smith would just be monumentally stupid.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies