Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:56:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain  (Read 2965 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »

Old Opponents:
Romney
Huckabee
Thompson

Mainstream Safe Choices:
Sanford
Barbour
Pawlenty
Huntsman

Mainstream Out-of-the-Box Choices:
Jindal
Palin
Smith
Portman

Dark Horses:

Frank Keating, age 64

Pros:
*Devout Catholic
*Former FBI Agent charged with investigating terrorism
*Former Congressman, Former Senator (where he served as House Minority Leader)
*Served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, US Attorney and Attorney General
*Two terms as Governor of Oklahoma, including inspiring leadership during the Oklahoma City Bombing
*Is now the CEO of a Life Insurance and Retirement firm
*Outsider since he has not been governor since 2003

Cons:
Solid conservative credentials offers little if McCain wants to move to the center.
Ran and lost for President already

Lamar Alexander – age 67

Pros:
Former Senator, Governor, and US Secretary of Education
Has founded a successful Childcare company
Lots of respected committee assignments

Cons:
Has ran and lost for President twice
Four years younger than McCain might not be enough

Jodi Rell – age 61

Pros:
Lt. Governor of Connecticut for 10 years and now Governor for 4
Has successfully navigated a pro-civil unions but anti-marriage position as governor
Extremely high job approval ratings in CT

Cons:
Not much national experience
Has had breast cancer and need an operation

Judd Gregg – age 61

Pros:
*Comes from New Hampshire, a swing state
*Has served a few terms as Congressman, two terms as Governor, and 16 years as Senator
*Some economic credentials as Chair of the US Senate Budget Committee
*Sometimes a maverick, voted against the federal marriage amendment
*Probably a great debater, he stood in for Kerry and Gore in practice sessions for Bush’s elections
*Pro environment, like McCain
*Lucky, has won the lottery as a senator

Cons:
*Might not make evangelicals happy
*Has been a Washington insider for a while

Mitch Daniels – age 59

Pros:
*Economic credentials, restored the Husdon Institute back to financial health
*Additionally served as director of the Office of Management and Budget
*Was also a member of the National Security Council and Homeland Security Council
*Governor of Indiana for four years

Cons:
*A few minor criticisms of protecting Indiana companies in the fine texts of his bills as director of OMB and whatnot.
zombones

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

Bobby Jindal is the only dark horse compared to the viable VPs
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

Bobby Jindal is the only dark horse compared to the viable VPs

I disagree.  Fed Ex CEO Fred Smith has had his name on all "accidental" VP shortlists by the McCain campaign and was invited to the Romney/Jindal/etc. VP barbecue at McCain's house a couple weeks ago.

I don't think Jindal counts as a dark horse anyway since he's having all kinds of articles written about him.
zombones

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »

its bobby cause hes darker than the rest
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »

For more wacky ideas, check out this thread.  I'm attempting to assemble a list of all of the crazy VP possibilities.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

Mitch Daniels – age 59

Pros:
*Economic credentials, restored the Husdon Institute back to financial health
*Additionally served as director of the Office of Management and Budget
*Was also a member of the National Security Council and Homeland Security Council
*Governor of Indiana for four years

Cons:
*A few minor criticisms of protecting Indiana companies in the fine texts of his bills as director of OMB and whatnot.

Pardon me while I vomit.  A few minor criticisms?  The guy sold the Indiana Toll Road to a Spanish company, he broke the backs of the state employees' union, he closed a number of state hospitals and put residents out on the street, he's raised taxes on the working class and the state has lost tens of thousands of good-paying jobs on his watch.

As to his national experience, he's the man who shaped The Decider's philosophy and plan where spending is concerned.  If you like the way the Bush Administration has handled fiscal matters, thank Mitch.  

Hey -- I hope McCain DOES choose him for VP.  It would only help the Democratic ticket.  The only Indiana Republican who would help McCain is Congressman Mike Pence.  (Lugar would, but he and McCain hate each other and Lugar hasn't even endorsed him.)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »

bob ehrlich
john thune
richard burr
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »

For more wacky ideas, check out this thread.  I'm attempting to assemble a list of all of the crazy VP possibilities.

Well.... I'm trying to choose candidates that McCain's campaign will seriously consider but that people in the forum/media haven't really addressed.

I think McCain's campaign knows that the political winds favor the Democrats and are really inclined to run an atypical campaign this season.  They have been showing themselves to be thinking out of the box with various proposals already (that both candidates use public funding, that McCan and Obama hold Lincoln-Douglass style debates, that both candidates travel to Iraq together, etc). I would not be surprised to see a very bold move in McCain's VP selection.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »

Chris Cox
Kay Bailey Hutchison
John Kasich
Don Nickles
Mike Pence

All of them are about an order of magnitude more likely than Mitch Daniels.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »

Alright, I take back Mitch!  I didn't realize his problems were so significant. I was really just looking at Governors with former careers that are applicable to the presidency.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

Alright, I take back Mitch!  I didn't realize his problems were so significant. I was really just looking at Governors with former careers that are applicable to the presidency.

Oh yeah, and Daniels has a very affable public image so I can see why he would come to mind.  He may yet win his re-election this year.  I think he is very astute politically.  For example, he got his most egregiously awful agenda items out of the way in his first two years.  Now, he's running around the state taking credit for creating thousands of new jobs.  (Problem is, they are at Wal-Mart and similar places.  And they are replacing 20 to 25 dollar an hour jobs with benefits.  But still, Mitch is managing to convince a lot of Hoosiers that he's an economic development whiz kid.  Remember, Hoosiers as a lot aren't all that bright.)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »

Okay, maybe some of the people on my thread are really too unlikely.  But if FedEx's Frederick Smith can be counted for this thread, what about Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, or Steve Forbes?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »

RUDY GIULIANI
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »

A minor correction that caused a double-take: Lamar Alexander is not a former U.S. Senator.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

Mainstream Out-of-the-Box Choices:
Smith

Is that Gordon Smith?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 05:39:19 PM »

I was hoping for Alfred.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »

With the possible exception of Gregg, whom I greatly admire, the dark horses are all crap and would be disastrous choices, particularly Keating.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »

Torie,

Is there anyone out your way who might be a decent match for McCain?  I've heard some people suggest Duncan Hunter, who would surely appeal to the right.  And I doubt he'd scare away independents or McCain Democrats.  Any other Californians Mac might take a look at?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 11:27:06 PM »

Torie,

Is there anyone out your way who might be a decent match for McCain?  I've heard some people suggest Duncan Hunter, who would surely appeal to the right.  And I doubt he'd scare away independents or McCain Democrats.  Any other Californians Mac might take a look at?

No!  And certainly not Duncan "i bounced 460 checks, and I am a protectionist  and Chinaphobe to boot" Hunter.  And forget Chris Cox. I know Chris Cox. California is a GOP desert, in fact a political desert in general, although I think Arnold "I am not eligible" Swartzenwhatits, means well.
The State needs me, and after I fatten my net worth by a few more million, I might make my move. Tongue

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 10:22:40 AM »

Bob Ehrlich!
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »

its bobby cause hes darker than the rest

Lovely - casual racism at its best!
BenNebbich
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.43

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »

a real dark horse: meg whitman
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »

Torie,

No!  And certainly not Duncan "i bounced 460 checks, and I am a protectionist  and Chinaphobe to boot" Hunter.  And forget Chris Cox. I know Chris Cox. California is a GOP desert, in fact a political desert in general, although I think Arnold "I am not eligible" Swartzenwhatits, means well.
The State needs me, and after I fatten my net worth by a few more million, I might make my move. Tongue

You'd get my vote.  (Of course, I would want a cushy government job -- like "Secretary of Casting Couch Promotions..."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

Okay, maybe some of the people on my thread are really too unlikely.  But if FedEx's Frederick Smith can be counted for this thread, what about Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, or Steve Forbes?

Well, Smith has been officially recognized by the McCain campaign on two occasions.  One with their leaked shortlist (which included impossibles like Lt. Gov Michael Steel I should mention) and one with their VP barbecue.  Your guys can be counted too though yo, haha.  Although I think they'd rather select Smith than Forbes if they're going to go the businessman route from their actions so far.  Smith is clearly getting at least some vetting and has such a wonderfully soothing name compared to Obama, without being immediately associated with being some kind of super triple billionaire like Forbes haha.

With the possible exception of Gregg, whom I greatly admire, the dark horses are all crap and would be disastrous choices, particularly Keating.

Why?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 07:26:21 PM by Torie »

Gregg is very smart, fiscal cautious and flinty. My kind of guy. Keating is scandal tarred (I don't remember the details, but they can be looked up). Lamar is old and shopworn, and I don't like the way he used his contacts to get rich during his hiatus from office. Rell I think is pro choice which won't work too well, and has some other problem which escapes me. Mitch Daniels as a potential president just makes me giggle. Please!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies