Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:52:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dark Horse VP Candidates for John Mccain  (Read 2992 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: May 29, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

Mitch Daniels – age 59

Pros:
*Economic credentials, restored the Husdon Institute back to financial health
*Additionally served as director of the Office of Management and Budget
*Was also a member of the National Security Council and Homeland Security Council
*Governor of Indiana for four years

Cons:
*A few minor criticisms of protecting Indiana companies in the fine texts of his bills as director of OMB and whatnot.

Pardon me while I vomit.  A few minor criticisms?  The guy sold the Indiana Toll Road to a Spanish company, he broke the backs of the state employees' union, he closed a number of state hospitals and put residents out on the street, he's raised taxes on the working class and the state has lost tens of thousands of good-paying jobs on his watch.

As to his national experience, he's the man who shaped The Decider's philosophy and plan where spending is concerned.  If you like the way the Bush Administration has handled fiscal matters, thank Mitch.  

Hey -- I hope McCain DOES choose him for VP.  It would only help the Democratic ticket.  The only Indiana Republican who would help McCain is Congressman Mike Pence.  (Lugar would, but he and McCain hate each other and Lugar hasn't even endorsed him.)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

Alright, I take back Mitch!  I didn't realize his problems were so significant. I was really just looking at Governors with former careers that are applicable to the presidency.

Oh yeah, and Daniels has a very affable public image so I can see why he would come to mind.  He may yet win his re-election this year.  I think he is very astute politically.  For example, he got his most egregiously awful agenda items out of the way in his first two years.  Now, he's running around the state taking credit for creating thousands of new jobs.  (Problem is, they are at Wal-Mart and similar places.  And they are replacing 20 to 25 dollar an hour jobs with benefits.  But still, Mitch is managing to convince a lot of Hoosiers that he's an economic development whiz kid.  Remember, Hoosiers as a lot aren't all that bright.)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:39:19 PM »

I was hoping for Alfred.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »

Torie,

Is there anyone out your way who might be a decent match for McCain?  I've heard some people suggest Duncan Hunter, who would surely appeal to the right.  And I doubt he'd scare away independents or McCain Democrats.  Any other Californians Mac might take a look at?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »

Torie,

Is there anyone out your way who might be a decent match for McCain?  I've heard some people suggest Duncan Hunter, who would surely appeal to the right.  And I doubt he'd scare away independents or McCain Democrats.  Any other Californians Mac might take a look at?

No!  And certainly not Duncan "i bounced 460 checks, and I am a protectionist  and Chinaphobe to boot" Hunter.  And forget Chris Cox. I know Chris Cox. California is a GOP desert, in fact a political desert in general, although I think Arnold "I am not eligible" Swartzenwhatits, means well.
The State needs me, and after I fatten my net worth by a few more million, I might make my move. Tongue

You'd get my vote.  (Of course, I would want a cushy government job -- like "Secretary of Casting Couch Promotions..."
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:43:27 PM »

Gregg is very smart, fiscal cautious and flinty. My kind of guy. Keating is scandal tarred (I don't remember the details, but they can be looked up).

Well, I didn't see any scandals tarring him on Wikipedia. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Keating Five (that's Charles Keating)?  And the others?  I could understand Rell not contributing a lot.
The Native Americans (some of them) had it right.  At a certain point, dyspeptic geezers need to go up to the mountain to freeze to death. They just get to be too high maintenance and demoralizing, to the idealistic young filled with hope. Tongue

<SPEW>  LOL!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies