Forgotten History: War with Britain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Forgotten History: War with Britain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forgotten History: War with Britain?  (Read 2222 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »

I love dropping in little blurbs about American and World history that have long been forgotten (or were never known) by the general public.

This one actually makes me shudder, when I consider how beloved the British are over here today.  But this was in my Dad's and Mom's lifetime!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »

It's amazing how good the Canadians have always been at maintaining their righteous indignation towards America, when they had their own plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Scheme_No._1
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

It's amazing how good the Canadians have always been at maintaining their righteous indignation towards America, when they had their own plan.

They did, indeed.

I just find the whole concept either way to be shocking.  But as the article says, there were a number of near wars with the Empire throughout the 19th century.  And we tend to forget how incredibly formidable the British military, navy especially, was.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corfu_incident

This one wasn't a war, but it was a major incident of it's day and one of the first tests of the League of Nartions. While conflict was averted, it came at the expense of the Leagues credibility.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »

They did, indeed.

I just find the whole concept either way to be shocking.  But as the article says, there were a number of near wars with the Empire throughout the 19th century.  And we tend to forget how incredibly formidable the British military, navy especially, was.

Indeed... in fact the United States and Britain were very close to war in the 1890's, and only narrowly averted it.

"Surrender pronto, or we'll level Toronto."
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »

Andrew says of "The Corfu Incident" >>>>> The Italian government, lead by Benito Mussolini, sent an ultimatum to the Greek government on August 29, 1923, demanding the payment of 50 million lire in reparations <<<<<

So, what...like 18 bucks?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »

They did, indeed.

Indeed... in fact the United States and Britain were very close to war in the 1890's, and only narrowly averted it.

Soulty, do you have more information about the conflict?  I know there was a big to-do over borders in the 1840's.  What was the 1890's brouhaha about?  Guyana?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »

They did, indeed.

Soulty, do you have more information about the conflict?  I know there was a big to-do over borders in the 1840's.  What was the 1890's brouhaha about?  Guyana?

One of the "What If" books outlines the possibilities for a conflict, but its been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember the details.  I tried to dig it up, but it must be in the "What If: America" one that I don't have on me at the time.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »

They did, indeed.

One of the "What If" books outlines the possibilities for a conflict, but its been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember the details.  I tried to dig it up, but it must be in the "What If: America" one that I don't have on me at the time.

I believe it was a border dispute between Venezuela and Guyana.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

There were actually an number of plans, including domestic unrest plans:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Color-coded_War_Plans
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:19:30 AM »

Cadets still do this kind of thing at the various Academies.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:05 AM »

Cadets still do this kind of thing at the various Academies.

I'd go to West Point for this if there wasn't all that other stuff that you need to do there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »

Well sure and I'd mary Rosie O'Donnel for the money if it wan't for all that other stuff that you need to do there. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »

Sigh... there are times I wish I had done the West Point thing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

aye.  I really wanted to go to the Air Force Academy, but I was much to lazy.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 01:39:30 AM »

aye.  I really wanted to go to the Air Force Academy, but I was much to lazy.

I have too many health problems.  Small health problems, but when you have a bunch, they add up.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 01:06:44 PM »

Andrew says of "The Corfu Incident" >>>>> The Italian government, lead by Benito Mussolini, sent an ultimatum to the Greek government on August 29, 1923, demanding the payment of 50 million lire in reparations <<<<<

No about 2 million dollars then or the equivalent of about 100 million dollars today.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 01:31:40 PM by Supersoulty »

No about 2 million dollars then or the equivalent of about 100 million dollars today.

Hmmmm... I thought I already posted that.  It isn't on here, but I typed it up.

Anyway, yeah, this was all prior to the hyper-inflation that would turn the Lira into a joke.

As my grandpa always says, Italy and Turkey are the only places he has ever been to where he felt sorry for a guy who said he "was down to his last million."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies