Trip to the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trip to the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trip to the United States  (Read 3634 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

Dear Forum,

I will be visiting the US from 30 July to 8 August (I finally bit the bullet and booked the flights this afternoon). The reason for my visit is sightseeing and also to finally meet some of the insane members of this forum with whom I have wasted too much time over the last 5(!!) years.

I have already contacted some members in order to gauge whether it was worth making the outlay, but I made no wider advertisment. If there is anybody who is interested in meeting me during my stay, please get in touch. Ideally I would like a reasonably full itinerary - people to go sightseeing with would be nice too.

I will be flying into Dulles International on 30 July and flying out from there on 8 August. I will be renting a car, and am expecting to travel reasonable distances. Visiting the following is certainly on the cards: Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.

Please only expect that I will be prepared to meet you if we have some history of actual communication on the forum. Also, please be aware that I will not meet you if I have reason to fear for my bodily safety if I am in your presence.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »

Delaware? Why?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »

Its within commutable distance; I know there is nothing there worth seeing, but I included it for completeness.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »

Ah, the land of "I drove through there once!"
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »

interesting, though King of the bench is ruled out because of the "Bodily Harm" part.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »

When you're in Delaware, go to Rehoboth Beach.  In Maryland, go to Little Italy in Baltimore, and the Walters Art Museum.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:40:10 AM »

Please be careful!  The US is incredibly crime-ridden.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »

When you're in Delaware, go to Rehoboth Beach.  In Maryland, go to Little Italy in Baltimore, and the Walters Art Museum.

No. The answer for Delaware is drive through it as fast as possible.

Anyway, the one thing I've heard as advice for Europeans is to be wary of American summers. We don't find extreme humidity followed by sudden torrential rainfall odd, but Europeans generally do.

As my own advice, if you're flying to Washington, stay in the Washington-Baltimore-Richmond-Hampton Roads area. Any further is too much driving for not enough benefit, and you'll be driving more than you'll be seeing anyone or anything. DC by itself is a week-long trip anyway. (Although, if you do plan to go the New York or Philadelphia areas, take the Acela train, and buy a ticket now as they get more expensive closer to the date.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

It depends what one is interested in. Savannah and Charleston are well worth it for those interested in architecture and street scapes and ambiance, although the home tours are in the Spring. I also highly recommend visiting the red rock country of Utah. It is a quite unique place on this planet. I particularly recommend taking in the view from Dead Horse Point State Park, which I think has the most magnificent view in the United States, surpassing the Grand Canyon. The drops are about 5,000 feet straight down in the river. If you jump off, you will get wet.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »

Cool...liberal bigotry. Delaware is NOT just a backward hick state with nothing to see. In fact, it may well be the future of America.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »

Philadelphia and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania...where this country was born and saved respectively.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

Philadelphia and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania...where this country was born and saved respectively.

And the beauty of that, is one can drive through the Amish precincts along the way (the horse and buggy folks with hexes on the barns resting on their beautifully manicured organic farms). Sad to say I have not yet been to Lancaster or Gettysburg, but I will do so before exiting this mortal coil, absent lack of notice. Philly  as a town overall is a bit of a dump, but yes has a lot of history, and some of the burb areas are gorgeous.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

Cool...liberal bigotry. Delaware is NOT just a backward hick state with nothing to see. In fact, it may well be the future of America.

I thought the future of america would be small!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

Have fun.  Delaware is a state where you pay a toll and that's about it.  It is the leech state of America.  In fact, if you're going to Philly and then Baltimore and driving, take anotherway around that's not Delaware.  The drive is much prettier.  I learned this after making the mistake the first couple of times.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Have fun.  Delaware is a state where you pay a toll and that's about it.  It is the leech state of America.  In fact, if you're going to Philly and then Baltimore and driving, take anotherway around that's not Delaware.  The drive is much prettier.  I learned this after making the mistake the first couple of times.

US 1 is a very nice highway that does not go through Delaware.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »

US 1 is a very nice highway that does not go through Delaware.

US 1 is acceptable.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »

And the beauty of that, is one can drive through the Amish precincts along the way (the horse and buggy folks with hexes on the barns resting on their beautifully manicured organic farms). Sad to say I have not yet been to Lancaster or Gettysburg, but I will do so before exiting this mortal coil, absent lack of notice. Philly  as a town overall is a bit of a dump, but yes has a lot of history, and some of the burb areas are gorgeous.

There's a town near Philly called Bird-in-Hand.  But I've always been afraid of going there.  It sounds messy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »

In defense of Delaware, I suspect that some of the hunt country precincts the DuPonts hang out in (there are a lot of DuPonts), in New Castle County near the Pennsylvania line, are very easy on the eye, if you are into home architecture and landscaping, and well, things equine.

There are a couple of gay towns and beaches to boot, or so I have heard, depending again on your "interests." . Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »

Good job exactly mirroring my trip to Europe.  Honestly, I think you might be leaving on the exact same day I am and flying back on the same day.  Or maybe you're a day earlier...

In any case, I'll be in London for some time in late July and early August, though it's a school trip and we might need to be sneaky Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »

There's a town near Philly called Bird-in-Hand.  But I've always been afraid of going there.  It sounds messy.

I think it's near Intercourse and Blue Ball.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 12:43:34 AM »

You're going to try to see DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York City on the same trip?  Factoring in eating, traveling, and sleeping, you're really not going to see much of anything.

Enjoy our country, though!  It has many positive qualities, and is probably a lot cheaper for tourists now.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 08:52:09 AM »

*Diverts attention onto self*

As my sig says I'll be departing now in about 20 hours or so.... better go pack. Will only be there for a week or so and far from any major city (I'll be staying at State College, PA) plan to at least see Philly and DC at least.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »

Michael and I have a surprise for you...
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »

To be honest, if you've seen Dulles International Airport and the surrounding drab hinterlands of Loudoun County, you've seen Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, PA...in fact, most of the Mid-Atlantic region.   I'd just stick to DC most of the time you were here since its much, much more to see than just monuments and some big building with a dome.     Just stay out of Southeast....and NW around 5th Street and Missouri avenues.   You'll be surprised how lovely the rest of the city is.  Georgetown, Dupont, Adams Mo, Downtown, etc
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »

If you visit The Henry Ford, America's Greatest History Attraction, you could come visit me.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies