Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:24:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 834248 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2008, 02:13:58 AM »
« edited: March 16, 2020, 09:10:24 PM by Virginiá »

Well it's filing week in Washington. The reason I bring this up as a slight matter of interest is because of the effects the bizarre new top-two primary is having on the ballot. Party selections are now done by having a candidate fill in a sixteen character space with the name of their party, and you can put whatever you want so long as it isn't vulgar. The current choices of labels by various candidates:

Prefers Democratic Party
Prefers Republican Party
Prefers Democrat Party
Prefers G.O.P. Party
Prefers R Party
Prefers D Party
Prefers Green Party
Prefers Libertarian Paty
Prefers Party of Commons Party
Prefers Independent Party
States No Party Preference

The whole "Prefers G.O.P. Party" strikes me as the silliest, but several incumbent legislators are using it.

*** mod note (7/27/2018): changed '17 in title to '18
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:28:21 AM »

Wow I was just going to post something about this...

I really hate this system so far... Tongue

So by the end of the week should we know who all the candidates are?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 02:37:39 AM »

So by the end of the week should we know who all the candidates are?

Yea - none of that "parties have a week to fill vacancies" anymore. It's a free-for-all, every man for themselves filing bloodfest.

And this system sucks.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 02:43:15 AM »

Did the Republicans ever find a candidate for State Auditor? Or Insurance Commissioner? Hopefully not.

I would love to see the Republican fail to make it to the general in the 7th district.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:06:39 AM »

Did the Republicans ever find a candidate for State Auditor? Or Insurance Commissioner? Hopefully not.

I suspect someone will file eventually, even if it just a Brad Klippert/Hong Tran type. There is a Constitution Party candidate for State Auditor (hasn't filed yet though), so Sonntag won't be running unopposed.

I would love to see the Republican fail to make it to the general in the 7th district.

There's a chance that may happen in the 6th District even. There's a Democrat running to Norm Dicks' left who is generating a fair amount of interest amongst liberals in the party. Him doing well plus low Republican turnout could yield interesting results.

The Treasurer race may also give us a double D general if we're lucky.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »

I suspect someone will file eventually, even if it just a Brad Klippert/Hong Tran type. There is a Constitution Party candidate for State Auditor (hasn't filed yet though), so Sonntag won't be running unopposed.

Hahaha yeah, I know about the Constitution Party candidate. I would love to see a D vs. C race, which is why I really hope the Republicans don't run a candidate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's a chance that may happen in the 6th District even. There's a Democrat running to Norm Dicks' left who is generating a fair amount of interest amongst liberals in the party. Him doing well plus low Republican turnout could yield interesting results.[/quote]

I kind of doubt it, but I guess we can hope.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I highly doubt that. Martin is a good candidate and should easily get on the general ballot. I hope Sohn is the Democratic candidate. McIntire probably wouldn't do as well.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:25:43 AM »

McIntire is a weirdy. He gives me the creeps.

There's also a Legislature race up in the San Juans that is D vs. G right now.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »

Yay, San Juans Purple heart

Isn't there likely going to be a D vs. D race in the 43rd district?

I remember in 2004 or 2006 when they had a primary for the seat that Jamie Pedersen eventually won... All six Democrats got more votes than the Republican. Beautiful!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 03:38:23 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2008, 03:40:16 AM by PPT Meeker »

Yay, San Juans Purple heart

Isn't there likely going to be a D vs. D race in the 43rd district?

I remember in 2004 or 2006 when they had a primary for the seat that Jamie Pedersen eventually won... All six Democrats got more votes than the Republican. Beautiful!

I'm not sure if Pedersen is getting a challenger or not. The 36th District House seat should be D vs. D, and probably the 33rd District House seat as well (both retirements). The 40th District Senate race maybe D vs. D as well.

There's also probably going to be some R vs. R races in the Eastern Washington for the House. The 4th, 7th, 8th and 14th are all strong possibilities due to retirements.

EDIT: And 46th District House could be D v. D as well... so many fun possibilities.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:48:50 AM »

Oh, I was probably thinking of the 36th district...

I didn't mean Pedersen was getting challenged, just using the primary he won as an example of how easy it would be to have no Republican on the general ballot in the 43rd.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »

Someone has filed under the label "Prefers America's Third Party"

Our primary is a joke
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »

How much longer until we get "prefers topless party" Sad Sad
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »

A lot of the Democrats who filed as "Prefers Democrat Party" yesterday have now switched to "Prefers Democratic Party". I wonder if the State Party yelled at them
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »

sharon K. Nelson, candidate for State House, seems to have forgotten to capitalize her name
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »

I'm a little surprised no somewhat serious Republican has challenged Reed in the primary so far.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »

A few random updates:

- Prefers G.O.P. Party is very common - I'd say at least 1/4 of the Republicans have chosen that, including The Dino himself.

- The Constitution Party is running several candidates for statewide office, and one for Congress. Considering that the Constitution Party has been basically non-existent in the state for many years now, it's an impressive turnaround on their part. The Libertarians have a candidate for only one office (WA-05) as far as I can tell - an unfathomable decline compared to just 6 years ago.

- Speaking of third parties, there looks to be three opportunities for third parties to get to the November ballot. Only the incumbent Democrat and a Constitution Party candidate have filed for State Auditor, and the Democratic v. Green race for a State House seat up in the San Juans is still without a Republican. An Independent is also the only person running against the Senate Majority Leader in her Spokane district.

- And on a personal note, the candidate for State House whose campaign I'm supposed to be managing doesn't have an opponent as of right now, and we don't know of any in the wings. Kind of pathetic on the local Republican Party's part - just 5 years ago they controlled all three seats in this district and Bush actually won it with 51%.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 12:43:14 AM »

- And on a personal note, the candidate for State House whose campaign I'm supposed to be managing doesn't have an opponent as of right now, and we don't know of any in the wings. Kind of pathetic on the local Republican Party's part - just 5 years ago they controlled all three seats in this district, and Bush actually won it with 51%.

I have no idea what you're going to have me do after the PAC stuff now.  Sad

Kerry got the 51% actually, but I think it used to be really solidly GOP on the state level, didn't it? If the GOP can't recruit for seats like these, they might as well just rename to the Eastern Washington and Lewis County Party and stop bothering.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 01:07:49 AM »

- And on a personal note, the candidate for State House whose campaign I'm supposed to be managing doesn't have an opponent as of right now, and we don't know of any in the wings. Kind of pathetic on the local Republican Party's part - just 5 years ago they controlled all three seats in this district, and Bush actually won it with 51%.

I have no idea what you're going to have me do after the PAC stuff now.  Sad

Kerry got the 51% actually, but I think it used to be really solidly GOP on the state level, didn't it? If the GOP can't recruit for seats like these, they might as well just rename to the Eastern Washington and Lewis County Party and stop bothering.

I could've sworn Kerry got 51% as well, but I checked my super-secret internal Democratic Party stuff before I posted it and they said Bush got 51% so I went with that. Regardless, it's pathetic they can't field a candidate. In 2002 they were running unopposed or winning 75% of the vote. In 2000 our Democratic Party consisted of five people who met in a livingroom. Now we have around 50 very active members, both of the State House seats, and the best they can do is one sub-par candidate for arguably their second or third best shot at a House seat in the entire state.

As for what we ourselves going to end up doing... I don't really know. There will still be a campaign even without an opponent though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:42 AM »

Prefers Grand Old Party Party

lol Republicans

Dino is a tard.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2008, 10:37:33 AM by PPT Meeker »

A Republican filed to run for State Auditor, dashing the Constitution Party's general election hopes. Sad day
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »

And here's something interesting - an incumbent State Representative from Olympia has filed as "Prefers Progressive Dem. Party". Now we get into the fuzzy area of whether or not that qualifies as a third party getting elected to the Legislature. Irrelevant for practicality purposes, but absolutely critical for the pedants amongst us.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2008, 12:05:24 PM by Alcon »

Looks like these are the presumptive races.

Governor: Christine Gregoire* (D) v. Dino Rossi (R)
Lt. Governor: Brad Owen* (D) v. Marcia McCraw (R)
Secretary of State: James Osgood (D) v. Sam Reed* (R)
State Treasurer: Jim McIntire/ChangMook Sohn (D) v. Allan Martin (R)
State Auditor: Brian Sonntag* (D) v. Dick McEntee (R)
State Attorney General: John Ladenburg (D) v. Rob McKenna* (R)
Commissioner of Public Lands: Peter Goldmark (D) v. Doug Sutherland* (R)
Insurance Commissioner: Mike Kreidler* (D) v. John Adams (R)

I recognize most of the non-factors.  Marcia McCraw is a do-gooder/Seattle lawyer, Dick McEntee's wife was an anti-abortion activist and he's a local GOP guy in the Tacoma suburbs and John Adams is a re-hash candidate from 2004.

But who's James Osgood?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »

Blogger from Seattle. He's obsessed with election security stuff (anti-VBM, anti-optical scan, etc.) He claims the Democrats will support him, but I highly doubt it. The guys over at (un)Sound Politics have already endorsed him.

So basically a Democrat running to the right of a Republican in a very good Democratic year for an office that has overall little to do with partisanship. Only in Washington!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »

Oh, my bad.  It's Jason Osgood.  When I Googled James Osgood, some Democratic CEO from Sammamish came up.

So, he's angry about mail voting and runs this blog, and that's it?

This may be the first time the Democrats have taken no serious effort to challenge Reed whatsoever...should be interesting to see how big of a landslide he gets.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 12:16:38 PM »

We should've run Dean Logan Sad

There would've had to have been a pretty amazing Democrat for me to not support Reed though, so I'm fine with a non-factor running.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies