Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 04:42:52 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Florida Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: Florida Megathread  (Read 13478 times)
henster
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:04 pm »
Ignore

I haven't seen the actual poll but according to WFLA twitter Crist has opened a 6% lead. Keep in mind the last time WFLA polled- around July 8th- Scott led 45-43 which was taken just before Crist aired his first ad.

KeithCate @WFLAKeith  ·  2h
@WFLA tracking poll has @CharlieCrist leading @ScottforFlorida 46% to 40%. Breaking it down with @WFLALauren tonight. #Florida #governor

Is this Crist's LT Gov selection bounce?

Is she that well known?
IceSpear
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »
Ignore

I haven't seen the actual poll but according to WFLA twitter Crist has opened a 6% lead. Keep in mind the last time WFLA polled- around July 8th- Scott led 45-43 which was taken just before Crist aired his first ad.

KeithCate @WFLAKeith  ·  2h
@WFLA tracking poll has @CharlieCrist leading @ScottforFlorida 46% to 40%. Breaking it down with @WFLALauren tonight. #Florida #governor

Is this Crist's LT Gov selection bounce?

The SUSA poll of this race has always been swingy for seemingly no reason. But the fact that people were using Scott's 1 point lead in it to predict Crist's demise was pretty amusing.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Given her name recognition and the fact that she's admittedly done a good enough job as SoS, this current frontrunner status is natural.

If she's the nominee, I'd probably vote for her, and she'd probably be at least an okay president.
ajc0918
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »
Ignore

In FL Governor's Duel, Democrat Crist Now In the Spotlight, Democrat Crist Now In The Lead - Newly Atop Republican Scott in Dramatic Swing:
Charlie Crist made news last week when he named a running mate, and that appears to resonate with Florida's likely voters, who now have Crist 6 points atop Republican Rick Scott, 46% to 40%, according to WFLA-TV's latest tracking poll in the contest.

2 weeks ago, Crist trailed Scott by 2. As Crist has enjoyed nonstop media attention over the past 5 days, which happen to coincide with SurveyUSA's field period for this survey, Crist's poll numbers benefited as well. In 8 WFLA-TV / SurveyUSA tracking polls going back to 04/15/14, Crist has led on 5 occasions, though never by as much as the 6 points he does today. Scott has led in 3 of the 8 tracking polls, though never by more than 2 percentage points.

* Among women, Crist had led by 3, now leads by 10, a gain of 7 points.
* Among men, Crist had trailed by 7, now is tied, a gain of 7.
* Among moderates, a key constituency for any Democrat who hopes to win elected office, Crist leads by 22 points, up from 13 points 2 weeks ago.
* Among Independents, Scott and Crist are effectively tied, a 10 point improvement for Crist poll-on-poll.
* The 08/26/14 FL Primary has not been held yet, and Crist has not yet won his party's nomination.
* After the primary, 2 months of intense campaigning remain before voting begins; these poll numbers can and will change during those 60 days.

Crosstabs here:
http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=9879b1f3-f54d-4ae5-ba27-5a1b5207710a

Flo
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.39, S: -7.29

P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 23, 2014, 02:17:10 am »
Ignore

Rich attacks Crist and Scott

“I’m sure you’ve seen the video by now – Gov. Rick Scott standing for nearly a minute, seemingly unable to answer questions any governor ought to be able to answer,” Rich insisted on Monday. "When you pair it with Charlie Crist’s refusal to debate, you get a picture of what our Republican governors think of voters – one who can’t answer, one who won’t. Florida deserves better.”

Crist will get a lot of public money

Crist soon will get his first infusion of millions in campaign cash under the state's public campaign financing program, created to help low-budget candidates counter big-money opponents as long as they abide by a self-imposed spending cap of about $25 million.

Candidates for governor and three Cabinet offices who agree to limit spending by their own campaigns are eligible for matching money. The state matches contributions of $250 or less from Florida residents, and Crist has far more small donors than Scott.

Civil rights groups protest at Scott's $10,000/plate fundraiser

Members of several civil rights groups held a last-minute demonstration against Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) outside the $10,000-a-plate fundraiser that was mocked by comedian John Oliver earlier this week, New Times Broward Palm Beach reported.

Scott’s appearance at the Boca Raton home of GEO Group CEO George Zoley was reportedly protested met by members of Florida For All, immigration rights group Dreamers Moms and the Dream Defenders.

“I think that Zoley is the CEO of a prison that is seemingly getting away with egregious practices speaks to people’s sense of right and wrong,” Florida For All spokesperson Ana Tinsly told New Times. “I think people are very upset to find that Rick Scott has such a cordial relationship with this CEO.”

According to WPLG-TV, the dinner at Zoley’s home was arranged after a Mother Jones report revealing that the original host, real estate mogul James Batmasian, was convicted of tax evasion in 2008. Batmasian, who spent eight months in federal prison and completed a two-year supervised release program, also had his legal license suspended in Florida.

Wow.

Issue #1 came up last week, when the Republican governor was accused of coercing on-duty police officers to play the role of political props at a campaign event. (I hope everyone caught his unintentionally amusing response.)

Issue #2 came up yesterday, when Scott was accused of personally profiting from a gas pipeline he supported.

All of which sets the table for Issue #3.
All Aboard Florida is the ostensibly private rail project running from Orlando to Miami that is supported by Governor Rick Scott. But initially it won’t be going that far. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the passenger rail service will initially run only between Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach in late 2016.

Back in February it was reported that Scott’s decision to spend more than $200 million in state money on a train depot at Orlando International Airport to connect with All Aboard Florida would benefit the company that once employed his current chief of staff, Adam Hollingsworth.

A new story in the Naples News by reporter Matt Dixon over the weekend pushed that story further, saying Hollingsworth was able to influence Scott into rejecting the $2.4 billion in federal stimulus funds for that high-speed rail line from Tampa to Orlando, in order to support the project that would benefit Hollingsworth’s former company, Parallel Infrastructure.

Group that supports Rich attacks Crist

The mailers are from a third party group widely believed to be funded by large sugar interests. Crist faces little know former State Senator Nan Rich in the August primary.

Flo
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: July 25, 2014, 04:56:57 am »
Ignore

Going back to Rick Scott's scandals

Damaging scandals look more like the two latest messes involving Governor Scott.
The first involves Scott’s support for a controversial Miami-to-Orlando rail project known as All Aboard Florida, when the company pushing it had financial ties to his chief of staff. The second involves Scott’s support for a controversial natural gas pipeline to North Florida, when he owned a stake in the company building it. You probably haven’t heard about these messes, because they’re pretty obscure. They’re also mini-messes, especially for Scott, who was once CEO of a hospital chain that paid a record $1.7 billion fine for fraud committed on his watch.

Crist attacks Scott

"I wasn't responsible for the global economic meltdown, just like he wasn't responsible for those jobs being created," Crist said of Scott. "The jobs being created are due to the people of Florida by being hard-working people."

Rich tries to make Crist debate

She also called out her primary opponent, Charlie Crist, for not accepting any of her challenges to a public debate.

About 80 members and supporters of the Pinellas County Democratic Executive Committee listened to her at the St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater hotel, just off Roosevelt Boulevard.

"Your record is the best indicator of what you will do," Rich said, referring to Crist's past as a Republican.

Great Crist ad

Flo
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2014, 09:23:45 am »
Ignore

I'm such a hack.

But I love our campaign literature

Flo
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2014, 06:43:10 am »
Ignore

Democratic candidate George Sheldon with first ad

If Perry Thurston wins the primary election, I am sure Bondi will win the general. Look at his website. It's like he copied and pasted the Florida Democratic platform. George Sheldon's website.

I can't even begin to express how poor a candidate Thad Hamilton is. He doesn't have a logo, he has no legislative experience except for one farm bill, he has never held elective office, and his official facebook posts are not very good for someone running for statewide office.

Adrian Wyllie hitting thirty cities in thirty days

“We are taking our grassroots campaign on the road to meet Floridians, to show them that I’m for real, and that this is truly a three-way race for governor,” Wyllie said in a statement.

RPOF not being as friendly to Rich as they used to be

Last week, Dougher sent out a statement hammering Rich for a comment she made about Florida's tax system being too regressive.

"Nan Rich said she believes in ‘fair' taxes — and that means she wants to tax everyone," Dougher's email read.

Susan Hepworth, a state GOP spokeswoman, said the new swipes at Rich are to ensure that "everyone knows her record."

Crist most important campaign accessory is a fan

Seconds before Charlie Crist walked onto the stage at the DNC, a man ran out and put a small fan at the base of the podium. All was right in Crist world. Or not. The big screen showed him sweating pretty hard.

For those who don't know, Crist has long demanded a fan when he gives speeches. It almost caused the cancellation of one of the U.S. Senate debates in 2010, when Kendrick Meek complained about the noise. One time in Tallahassee, then CFO Alex Sink stepped near the fan and had her skirt blown up -- ala Marilyn Monroe.

lol

Crist attacks Repubs on climate change

Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist on Friday delivered the perfect response to Republicans who claim they lack the scientific background to express an opinion as to whether man-made climate change is real.

“I’m not a scientist either, but I can use my brain, and I can talk to one,” Crist said Friday at a Florida State University presentation on greenhouse gases and rising sea levels, according to SaintPetersBlog.

This ad has been played excessively in the Orlando media market

I used to only see Scott attack ads, now I only see Crist support/Crist attack ads

Great Crist ad for Annette Taddeo

She seems like she's going to be a great statewide candidate

Scott agrees to three debates, Crist wants seven

“Rick Scott limiting debates to three is a disservice to voters, but not surprising considering his history of refusing to answer questions to avoid going to jail. I want to do more debates with the winner of the primary campaign. Let’s do a town hall-style debate so voters can ask Rick Scott or the Republican candidate directly why Rick Scott cut education by $1.3 billion, why his company defrauded seniors and paid a $1.7 billion fine, and why he cut Bright Futures scholarships in half.”

Uh, seven seems like a bit much.

Judge backs Scott's blind trusts

The lawsuit, brought by a former chief of staff to the late Democratic Gov. Reubin Askew, challenged whether politicians such as the incumbent Republican governor could stash investments in blind trusts. A blind trust gives someone else the ability to manage investments without a politician's knowledge, which supporters of the law say prevents conflicts of interest.

But critics say the device contradicts constitutional safeguards requiring Florida voters to be made aware of what a public official owns and how it might affect his or her decisions. Scott, who reported a net worth of $132.7 million as of the end of last year, is believed to be the only official using a blind trust.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout