Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2017, 07:00:38 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Brittain33)
| | |-+  NH-GOV 2018: Sununu suffers major political defeat as right to work fails
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: NH-GOV 2018: Sununu suffers major political defeat as right to work fails  (Read 3043 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »
Ignore

Sununu suffers major political defeat, as right to work fails decisively in NH House

Most likely a sign of things to come... and not good things for Mr. Sununu:

New Hampshire will not become a so-called right-to-work state today, or next year.

The Republican-led House voted to kill the union-targeted legislation Thursday afternoon, ending weeks of high-charged debate. While many expected a close vote, the final tally was much wider, at 200-177. The body then voted to ban consideration of right-to-work for the rest of the session, effectively killing it for the next two years.

The bill’s defeat deals a blow to Republican Gov. Chris Sununu, who had labeled the policy a priority.

Top state Republicans had spent the days and hours before the vote trying to sway opinions toward right-to-work, without success.

Even if you don't agree with the women stuff, it's really hard to argue that NH is still a competitive swing state. And after 2016 (when Kelly Ayotte and Donald Trump lose the state, despite a very close presidential race and Republicans holding the Senate), this will become clear to you as well, Kingpoleon.

MAINEiac4434
France

Political Matrix
E: -8.09, S: -4.61

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »
Ignore

Good job GOPers who voted against that disastrous legislation. Interesting to see where Sunununununu will go from here.

"A Conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward." Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired." Robert Francis Kennedy

Babeuf

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »
Ignore

Great news! Thankful for the courage of the anti-RTW NH GOP reps. 

Next step: gain trifectas in a few RTW states during the midterms and repeal these awful laws. And also come up with legislative workarounds in response to the inevitable gutting of public unions in Friedrichs 2.0 whenever Gorsuch joins the Court. 
AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2017, 03:07:41 pm »
Ignore

Is there an explanation for why NH is turning into a safe D state but Maine is trending R?

Who said that a state with Republican trifecta is turning into safe D? All Democratic victories in 2016 were very narrow, and, in some cases (Guinta) - against very flawed opponents..

Republican Quadfecta is more accurate.
Mondale Won 1 State
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:10 pm »
Ignore

the final tally was much wider, at 200-177.

For such a small state, NH has a huge legislature

MAINEiac4434
France

Political Matrix
E: -8.09, S: -4.61

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:30 pm »
Ignore

I think the largest per-capita in the world.

"A Conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward." Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired." Robert Francis Kennedy

Virginia
Virginia C
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2017, 03:18:36 pm »
Ignore

Is there an explanation for why NH is turning into a safe D state but Maine is trending R?

Who said that a state with Republican trifecta is turning into safe D? All Democratic victories in 2016 were very narrow, and, in some cases (Guinta) - against very flawed opponents..

Meh, I'd also like to chime in that many GOP victories in NH were narrow as well. I believe there were like 3 State Senate races where the Republican only won by 4 or fewer points, and like 6 where it was <8 points. Their grip on power is pretty unstable, but Democrats don't really have any grip either. 2016 had a remarkable number of close races in NH.

But, with that, I'd say the GOP is pretty vulnerable in the legislature and maybe even Gov race in 2018. Probably won't even take national wave conditions to cost the GOP a chamber or two in NH with these kinds of numbers.

edit: ok noticed it was an old post but w/e
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:20:43 pm by Virginia »Logged

AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2017, 03:20:03 pm »
Ignore

It's quite pointless too.   People just vote straight ticket 95% of the time, that leads to districts electing slates of representatives that are 100% Democrat or 100% Republican almost universally.  

It would be so easy to downsize the chamber and have it be way more effective.  
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2017, 03:31:18 pm »
Ignore

It's quite pointless too.   People just vote straight ticket 95% of the time, that leads to districts electing slates of representatives that are 100% Democrat or 100% Republican almost universally.  

But then all those hard working legislators would be out of work!

That said, I also kind of dislike the system that Washington, Arizona, and New Jersey use where each Senate district elects two House members. Leads to smaller communities not being represented enough IMO.

Badger
badger
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2017, 07:28:08 pm »
Ignore

Good job GOPers who voted against that disastrous legislation. Interesting to see where Sunununununu will go from here.

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
President François de la Rocque
windjammer
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »
Ignore

Lol if they can't unite their caucus behind this kind of important legislation.

Flo   it seems like everytime i talk to you i have some sort of illness
Windjammer Partisan Voting Index for US state senates
Windjammer Partisan Voting Index for US State Houses
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2017, 12:51:16 am »
Ignore

Good that reasonable Republicans, not voting for idiotic legislation, and having their own (distinct from party leadership) opinion on isuues still exist. AFAIK - there are similar Democrats too....

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48. Like to collect bans on partisan sites (4-5 on DKE (+ SSP) and on RRH).
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2017, 02:31:03 am »
Ignore

That said, I also kind of dislike the system that Washington, Arizona, and New Jersey use where each Senate district elects two House members. Leads to smaller communities not being represented enough IMO.

They get paid $200 a term. For 90% of them, it's more a question of losing their hobby they picked up when the kids went off to college rather than any financial concern.

Shameless Bernie hack since 2015.
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2017, 03:09:24 am »
Ignore

They get paid $200 a term. For 90% of them, it's more a question of losing their hobby they picked up when the kids went off to college rather than any financial concern.

Absolutely. I was surprized at the extremely high number of retired persons in New Hampshire legislature, but only until i saw a legislator's payment sum. It's really a hobby for vast majority of them...

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48. Like to collect bans on partisan sites (4-5 on DKE (+ SSP) and on RRH).
NerdyBohemian
United States

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2017, 06:04:59 am »
Ignore

I am so happy "right to work" was defeated. I'll take good news wherever I can get it.

Economic: -8.50
Social: -7.33
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2017, 12:41:37 pm »
Ignore

Good that reasonable Republicans, not voting for idiotic legislation, and having their own (distinct from party leadership) opinion on isuues still exist. AFAIK - there are similar Democrats too....

Huh, pleasantly surprised you're anti-RTW.

Note: I am not actually British.

smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2017, 12:50:24 pm »
Ignore

Huh, pleasantly surprised you're anti-RTW.

I am not anti-union, though i can't say i admire all of them. And i am pro-environment, pro-choice (with only minimal restrictions, which looks reasonable to me) and pro-SSM (though it took time for me to come to this position, i was "only" pro civil unions initially). So - i am not that "reactionary", rather very strong "anti-party maverick", who is absolutely mad about present day political polarization (especially - compared to early 1970th when i began to study politics).....

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2017, 01:03:07 pm »
Ignore

lol does this even matter? We'll have national RTW soon anyway
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »
Ignore

I think they were terribly afraid of the backlash they would cause with it. NH is a solidly liberal state when it comes to issues like abortion, unions, gay marriage, pot, workers rights etc. It's why Republicans like Sununu basically have to govern like very liberal Republicans/"Democrats lite" in order for them to even stand a small chance of winning reelection in 2018. Scott, Baker and Hogan seem to be much better at this than Sununu, though.

The ultra conservative NH of the 80s is long gone, and Sununu needs to realize this ASAP.

Even if you don't agree with the women stuff, it's really hard to argue that NH is still a competitive swing state. And after 2016 (when Kelly Ayotte and Donald Trump lose the state, despite a very close presidential race and Republicans holding the Senate), this will become clear to you as well, Kingpoleon.

Eharding
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
Ignore

I think they were terribly afraid of the backlash they would cause with it. NH is a solidly liberal state when it comes to issues like abortion, unions, gay marriage, pot, workers rights etc. It's why Republicans like Sununu basically have to govern like very liberal Republicans/"Democrats lite" in order for them to even stand a small chance of winning reelection in 2018. Scott, Baker and Hogan seem to be much better at this than Sununu, though.

The ultra conservative NH of the 80s is long gone, and Sununu needs to realize this ASAP.

-NH, like VT, had a strong 1980 Anderson vote.

Make America Great Again

Political Matrix Score:
Economic score: +5.68
Social score: -2.43

JAIL FOR FLYNN
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2017, 06:26:27 am »
Ignore

HA HA KRAZEN!

Always will be the President to me:

Virginia
Virginia C
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2017, 12:20:20 pm »
Ignore

lol does this even matter? We'll have national RTW soon anyway

Not so long as it takes 8 Democrats to sign off on it. If Republicans find a way to do it without them (filibuster "reform"?), then Democrats can just as easily roll it back next time we have full control, even if that takes a while.

NHI
YaBB God

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2017, 03:11:31 pm »
Ignore

A major setback for the governor. Certainly will be interesting to see.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout