Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2016, 03:42:43 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2016 predictions are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Brittain33)
| | |-+  Man-made Disaster Unfolds in Kansas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Man-made Disaster Unfolds in Kansas  (Read 1108 times)
Ebsy
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:06:57 pm »
Ignore

After Brownback aligned conservatives were given a good thrashing in the recent Kansas Congressional primaries, it was hard to imagine this month getting any worse for Governor Sam Brownback, but the most recent jobs report has Kansas losing 5,600 jobs, making the net number of jobs during his second term 600 lower than when he was sworn in. Recall that Brownback stated that his aggressive tax cut strategy was going to be an experiment for his ultra-conservative policies. By that standard, I think the lab results might be in.

heatcharger
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.80, S: -2.74

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »
Ignore

I was assured by fiscal conservatives that shifting the tax burden from the wealthy to the middle class would grow the economy! Gutting education and turning down healthcare was supposed to do wonders for the people of Kansas!

I feel bad for the people who are losing jobs and struggling financially, but when you vote for extremists like Brownback this is what you get.

Kathleen Sebelius needs to run in 2018 for her old job. I think she could win it.
pppolitics

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 06:55:03 pm »
Ignore

What's the Matter with Kansas?
Virginia
Virginia C
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »
Ignore

A majority of voters are unwilling to give Democrats a shot no matter how bad their own party ruins their lives, because god, guns, grits and gravy.

If Democrats had total control in my state and knowingly ruined it as bad as Brownback is doing to Kansas, I would be desperate to vote Republican on election day. People need to set boundaries for their political support instead of just clinging to the railings as the ship goes under.

TN volunteer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -1.74

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:07:26 pm »
Ignore

Brownback is the Republicans' Dan Malloy.

Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:47:23 pm »
Ignore

Is Connecticut really that bad?

Anyway, I agree with Virginia. I might not vote for Huckabee, but if there was a disastrous Democratic governor on this level I'd be fine with voting for a Charlie Baker type (who I would never vote for under normal circumstances).

Note: I am not actually British.
xīngkěruž
xingkerui
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -6.70

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 12:02:54 am »
Ignore

Browncrap really is the worst governor in the country. And that's saying something.

Arch
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -5.74

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 01:09:21 am »
Ignore

It's Kansas

͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 06:20:16 am »
Ignore

Weird, because Brownback is America's worst governor and Malloy is America's best governor.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:20:12 am »
Ignore

They had the opportunity to dump him in 2014.  This is a self inflicted wound.
PiT, South Governor
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 02:04:48 pm »
Ignore

What was so special about this last month that Kansas lost 5,600 jobs? A little arithmetic shows that Kansas had gained a net of 600 jobs since the beginning of Brownback's second term. Still godawful, but quite different from dumping 5,600 in a single month.

Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »
Ignore

What was so special about this last month that Kansas lost 5,600 jobs? A little arithmetic shows that Kansas had gained a net of 600 jobs since the beginning of Brownback's second term. Still godawful, but quite different from dumping 5,600 in a single month.

It's proof that his draconian tax cuts didn't spur job growth.
RFayette
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 04:45:43 pm »
Ignore

http://research.wpcarey.asu.edu/economic-outlook/job-growth/current-state-rankings/

It appears that commodity-heavy states got burned badly in recent jobs reports - Oklahoma, Wyoming, North Dakota, Louisiana, West Virginia, etc. were all at the back of the pack.  Kansas has a lot of oil/natural gas, so that probably explains the recent poor jobs spate, though the broader economic problems are likely due to inadequate public investment and poor fiscal policy by Brownback.

pppolitics

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 09:58:34 pm »
Ignore

It's Kansas

Just so you know, Obama's grandparents are from there.

And itís got me thinking about the story I told you twelve years ago tonight, about my Kansas grandparents and the things they taught me when I was growing up. They came from the heartland; their ancestors began settling there about 200 years ago. They were Scotch-Irish mostly, farmers, teachers, ranch hands, pharmacists, oil rig workers. Hardy, small town folks. Some were Democrats, but a lot of them were Republicans. My grandparents explained that they didnít like show-offs. They didnít admire braggarts or bullies. They didnít respect mean-spiritedness, or folks who were always looking for shortcuts in life. Instead, they valued traits like honesty and hard work. Kindness and courtesy. Humility; responsibility; helping each other out.

Thatís what they believed in. True things. Things that last. The things we try to teach our kids.

And what my grandparents understood was that these values werenít limited to Kansas. They werenít limited to small towns. These values could travel to Hawaii; even the other side of the world, where my mother would end up working to help poor women get a better life. They knew these values werenít reserved for one race; they could be passed down to a half-Kenyan grandson, or a half-Asian granddaughter; in fact, they were the same values Michelleís parents, the descendants of slaves, taught their own kids living in a bungalow on the South Side of Chicago. They knew these values were exactly what drew immigrants here, and they believed that the children of those immigrants were just as American as their own, whether they wore a cowboy hat or a yarmulke; a baseball cap or a hijab.

America has changed over the years. But these values my grandparents taught me Ė they havenít gone anywhere. Theyíre as strong as ever; still cherished by people of every party, every race, and every faith. They live on in each of us. What makes us American, what makes us patriots, is whatís in here. Thatís what matters. Thatís why we can take the food and music and holidays and styles of other countries, and blend it into something uniquely our own. Thatís why we can attract strivers and entrepreneurs from around the globe to build new factories and create new industries here. Thatís why our military can look the way it does, every shade of humanity, forged into common service. Thatís why anyone who threatens our values, whether fascists or communists or jihadists or homegrown demagogues, will always fail in the end.
ClintonianCake
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 07:09:52 am »
Ignore

The big irony of the "commodity States" is that their economies most resemble that of Chvez's Venezuela.

Potus
Potus2036
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 10:11:24 am »
Ignore

Kansas's tax cuts were poorly designed and shouldn't be a model for anyone else. The Brownback plan included massive, yuge cuts for pass-through businesses, things like LLCs, sole proprietorships, etc. I really understand the motivation for cutting taxes on those kinds of small businesses, but it has the behavioral impact of encouraging people to recategorize their income. You'll see this in a surge of people working as contractors for their former employers.

It's caused a huge, huge dropoff in revenue and isn't targeted to generate investment or economic growth.

Former Governor, Senator, Presidential Candidate, and Secretary of State.
pppolitics

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 04:39:08 am »
Ignore

Kansans: our economy is in the toilet, but at least we still have our guns!
MohamedChalid
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 08:55:32 am »
Ignore

I just don't get how this dude was reelected. The Democratic candidate was a moderate and backed by several state GOPers.

United Arab Emirates Immigrant, naturalized US citizen, living in the wonderful state of California, progressive and devoted Democrat. Any questions?

Current endorsements:
- President: Hillary Clinton
- Vice President: Tim Kaine
- CA-Senate: Kamala Harris
- WI-Senate: Russ Feingold
- IL-Senate: Tammy Duckworth
- AZ-Senate: Ann Kirkpatrik
- NH-Senate: Maggie Hassan
- PA-Senate: Kathie McGinty
- FL-Senate: Patrick Murphy
- OR-Governor: Kate Brown
IceSpear
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.70

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 01:28:36 pm »
Ignore

I just don't get how this dude was reelected. The Democratic candidate was a moderate and backed by several state GOPers.

Because it was 2014.

MasterJedi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 01:56:02 pm »
Ignore

Because it was 2014.

Yep, I think nationwide turnout was 36.4%. I have no idea why liberals are less motivated in off year elections. I guess they think the President decides all and the rest is a waste of time or something.

IceSpear
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.70

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 02:13:14 pm »
Ignore

Because it was 2014.

Yep, I think nationwide turnout was 36.4%. I have no idea why liberals are less motivated in off year elections. I guess they think the President decides all and the rest is a waste of time or something.

It's not just Democrats. Turnout drops massively among all people in midterms. It just disproportionately affects Democrats since their base is younger and non-white, whereas the Republican base is disproportionately older and whiter, people who are more likely to vote in even the most obscure election for coroner or dog catcher.

I think it's a failure of the education system. Too many people think the president is a dictator and the importance of Congress (and state government for that matter) is not stressed nearly enough. I got into politics as a hobby when I was 15 and obviously learned tons in the process, but my high school courses about civics and government were woefully inadequate. If that was all the information I had, I'd be extremely ignorant.

This is also why "blame the do nothing Congress!" will always be a losing strategy btw. The people most likely to examine the effects of Congress are also the people most likely to already be 100% locked into their vote on either side. Many of the "swing voters" are people who just blame the incumbent president for everything and barely even know the names of their Representatives/Senators, much less what they've actually been doing while in office.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:19:16 pm by IceSpear »Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout