Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2016, 05:04:30 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Brittain33)
| | |-+  Terry Mcauliffe Under FBI/DoJ Investigation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Terry Mcauliffe Under FBI/DoJ Investigation  (Read 844 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 09:27:41 pm »
Ignore

VA GOP should be smiling right now. Now it's time to narrow down that primary and then they should be set to take over.

That and the lawsuit they filed on Monday challenging McAuliffe's blanket process for restoring felon voting rights. If they can get a preliminary injunction and bog the case down until after 2016 or 2017, they'll be thrilled since they just lost the redistricting case at the Supreme Court.

That case is open and shut. Virginia's constitution clearly gives McAuliffe those powers.

iSideWith Results:

Sanders - 97%
Clinton - 92%

Stein - 90%
Johnson - 70%
Trump - 18%
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 03:09:09 am »
Ignore

That and the lawsuit they filed on Monday challenging McAuliffe's blanket process for restoring felon voting rights. If they can get a preliminary injunction and bog the case down until after 2016 or 2017, they'll be thrilled since they just lost the redistricting case at the Supreme Court.

That case is open and shut. Virginia's constitution clearly gives McAuliffe those powers.

And our constitution also says that by default no felon may vote unless the Governor makes an individualized determination and restores that particular felon's voting rights. The process is what is being challenged. No one questions his ability to restore rights for individuals or to even restore the rights of everyone through an independent, individual action for each felon. The challenge is to him just saying in a single act that from this day forward every felon in the present and every felon in the future forever will not face voting restrictions, even though the same constitution he's claiming his power under says otherwise.

Northeast Assemblyman Kingpoleon
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 08:23:36 pm »
Ignore

Good riddance. I hope Tom Perriello, Gerry Connolly, Glenn Nye, or someone similarly moderate primaries Northam.

You have to be a troll.

Are you referring to the "random names" I sometimes do? Yeah, that's called Atlas #notsatireanalysis.

Connolly and Nye are both pretty moderate and weren't handpicked by McAuliffe.

No, I'm saying that you must be a troll due to how much you seemingly know and how much you get horribly, horribly wrong.

First, the Lt. Gov. is not "handpicked" by the gubernatorial nominee. Northam won Lt. Gov. by winning a contested primary against Chopra then beating E.W. Jackson. Chopra, by the way, was supported by "insider" types such as McAuliffe and he was included in his transition team. So very much the opposite.

Secondly, all of the Democrats you listed are less "moderate" (if we're going to use that idiotic descriptor) than Northam. Please read this article about his almost-party switch.

Northam, who describes himself as conservative on fiscal issues and liberal on social issues, said it has been difficult being a moderate in the Democratic caucus.
"Working the middle, being a moderate, is sometimes a little bumpy,'' he said. "It's a lot easier to be out on one side or the other."

I've been reading all of the crap you spew, and it's clear that you either have a wealth of knowledge but just can't put the pieces together, or just great at trolling. The latter, to me, is likelier.

Quite frankly, I wish it was trolling. Sometimes I mock Atlas(see maps), but other times I just do something like that very stupidly not making my puzzle. It's common enough to happen to people with ADHD, like myself.

"You are the people who pay the taxes and obey the law. You are the people who make America what it is!… It is from your ranks I come, and on your side I stand!" - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Virginia
Virginia C
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 11:53:00 am »
Ignore

And our constitution also says that by default no felon may vote unless the Governor makes an individualized determination and restores that particular felon's voting rights. The process is what is being challenged. No one questions his ability to restore rights for individuals or to even restore the rights of everyone through an independent, individual action for each felon. The challenge is to him just saying in a single act that from this day forward every felon in the present and every felon in the future forever will not face voting restrictions, even though the same constitution he's claiming his power under says otherwise.

Not really:

Article V. Executive
Section 12. Executive clemency

The Governor shall have power to remit fines and penalties under such rules and regulations as may be prescribed by law; to grant reprieves and pardons after conviction except when the prosecution has been carried on by the House of Delegates; to remove political disabilities consequent upon conviction for offenses committed prior or subsequent to the adoption of this Constitution; and to commute capital punishment.

He shall communicate to the General Assembly, at each regular session, particulars of every case of fine or penalty remitted, of reprieve or pardon granted, and of punishment commuted, with his reasons for remitting, granting, or commuting the same.

It says absolutely nothing about how the Governor must issue reprieves. The only limitation mentioned above is in regards to convictions by the House of Delegates. Other than that, there are no restrictions on how he may use his power to restore rights taken away via felony disenfranchisement. It basically just says he can restore rights, and that's it.

The 2nd paragraph in my quote only specifies that the Governor must tell the General Assembly each person who got their rights back, which isn't a restriction but rather a requirement of notification. I'm sure he'll do that just fine.

Trying to interpret that clause of the State Constitution to only allow "individualized" reprieves would be a big stretch and ironically the opposite of how conservatives claim they wish the Constitution to be interpreted.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/constitution

The challenge is to him just saying in a single act that from this day forward every felon in the present and every felon in the future forever will not face voting restrictions, even though the same constitution he's claiming his power under says otherwise.

The thing is, he is not doing all this in a single act. He specifically said he will be issuing a new executive order restoring voting rights every month. The orders he is issuing only restores voting rights to those who have lost them at the time the order is issued. Any after that have to wait for the next order to be issued.

It's worth noting that he also stated he had law professors in Virginia review the Constitution to determine the legality of this. They gave him an unequivocal thumbs up. Republicans are just mad that he did a blanket restoration that will bring more Democrats onto the rolls come election day and hurt their chances not only in the presidential election, but the upcoming gubernatorial election(s) in 2017 and beyond.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:56:26 am by Virginia »Logged

MohamedChalid
YaBB God
United Arab Emirates

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 08:56:23 am »
Ignore

One thing is certain, he won’t be reelected.

United Arab Emirates Immigrant, naturalized US citizen, proud to live in the wonderful state of California, progressive and devoted Democrat. Any questions?

Current endorsements:
- President: Hillary Clinton
- Vice President: Julian Castro
- CA-Senate: Kamala Harris
- WI-Senate: Russ Feingold
- IL-Senate: Tammy Duckworth
- OH-Senate: Ted Strickland
- NH-Senate: Maggie Hassan
- PA-Senate: Kathie McGinty
- CA-Governor: Gavin Newsom
- OR-Governor: Kate Brown
Kevin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 09:18:32 am »
Ignore

Well the thing is he can't.

Virginia is the only state that bars Governors from seeking a 2nd consecutive term.

MohamedChalid
YaBB God
United Arab Emirates

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 09:42:57 am »
Ignore

Well the thing is he can't.

Virginia is the only state that bars Governors from seeking a 2nd consecutive term.

I know. That was just an ironic statement.

United Arab Emirates Immigrant, naturalized US citizen, proud to live in the wonderful state of California, progressive and devoted Democrat. Any questions?

Current endorsements:
- President: Hillary Clinton
- Vice President: Julian Castro
- CA-Senate: Kamala Harris
- WI-Senate: Russ Feingold
- IL-Senate: Tammy Duckworth
- OH-Senate: Ted Strickland
- NH-Senate: Maggie Hassan
- PA-Senate: Kathie McGinty
- CA-Governor: Gavin Newsom
- OR-Governor: Kate Brown
Pages: 1 [2] Print