Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 837057 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »

I actually assumed he was crazy because of the letter he sent to Dale Woodard

So, the guy isn't actually a McCain supporter?  Now I'm really confused.

Yea, I don't quite understand why they were trying to knock Woodard out of the race. It seems like having him would split the Republican base and make it easier for Smeall to advance to the general.

But no, he's not a McCain supporter. He's listed as a Likely Democrat in our database.

Yeah, he voted D in the primary (hence the Likely D designation - it's the only thing causing that), but all of his ballot statements go on about "McCain, Rossi, Wiley for a better future!"  He totally has me confused.

Unless he went to the caucus and really wanted to vote in the advisory primary (and legally), it don't make much sense to me.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »

I actually assumed he was crazy because of the letter he sent to Dale Woodard

So, the guy isn't actually a McCain supporter?  Now I'm really confused.

Yea, I don't quite understand why they were trying to knock Woodard out of the race. It seems like having him would split the Republican base and make it easier for Smeall to advance to the general.

But no, he's not a McCain supporter. He's listed as a Likely Democrat in our database.

Yeah, he voted D in the primary (hence the Likely D designation - it's the only thing causing that), but all of his ballot statements go on about "McCain, Rossi, Wiley for a better future!"  He totally has me confused.

Unless he went to the caucus and really wanted to vote in the advisory primary (and legally), it don't make much sense to me.

He's only pretending to be a Republican so he can sap votes from Woodard, thus causing Smeall to make it November with Flannigan. It's all a ploy.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2008, 08:02:45 PM »

I got my ballot today. Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »

Who're you voting for SPI?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:48 AM »

I got my ballot guide today (and voter registration card -- again?  whatever).  I realized that the only race I genuinely care about is having Sohn beat McIntire.  Otherwise, this is all just advisory crap.  I'm thinking I just may vote for my favorite kook in all of the other races.

If WA-27 was competitive, I'd vote Woodard...but it's not, and D vs. D would just be so funny.  Maybe I should vote Smeall just for the hilarious remote chance?  Who's with me?!

Definitely vote for Smeall. I just talked to her today and she's very excited. She's also the only non-crazy sounding candidate in the TNT's questionnaire.

I think I mentioned this before, but I grow more confident that Sohn will win everyday. McIntire's people are going bezerk, and McIntire himself is getting pretty pissed off.

Make sure to vote in SPI though, that's a very important contest. And the Judicial races will be decided in the primary.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2008, 12:47:02 AM »

I'm thinking I'll vote Dorn for SPI... Not positive though.

I saw some Sohn signs today between Woodinville and Redmond. Smiley I also read that Sohn has raised the most money of any of the three candidates.

I'm almost definitely voting Fairhurst for Supreme Court... Not sure what to do about the other the SC race. Unsure
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2008, 01:02:58 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2008, 01:05:15 AM by PPTE Meeker »

Bergeson isn't as evil as some (including Otherphil) make her out to be. She's made some mistakes and we've got quite a few problems still to solve, but everything Dorn is saying he wants to change is basically already being worked on by Bergeson's office.

The local candidate for State Senate is a public school teacher and knows more about our school system than anyone I've ever met. She says that on a 1-10 scale of awfulness Bergeson is a 9.5 and Dorn is an 8. She wanted Semler until he dropped out.

I passively favor Dorn, and would suggest voting for him if only to keep Bergeson under 50% and thus send them both to the general where you would then have more time to think.

Sohn has signs up all over the state, and he's been getting some surprising support from within the party that I wouldn't have expected even a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure my LD is going to endorse him this Thursday. I also learned the other day that the reason he didn't attend the State Convention was because a family member was sick, so the anger at him from within the party from "blowing them off" is really quite unfounded.

Fairhurst is wonderful and absolutely deserves re-election. Johnson isn't wonderful but he's better than the other two.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2008, 01:37:38 AM »

Another random suggestion to Alcon: Vote for Richmond. He's been working hardest of all the candidates and deserves to be in the general.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2008, 12:59:07 AM »

Goldmark is outstanding. I had a chance to talk with him at a Conservation Voters meeting, and I've never meet anyone who knows more about land conservation and development. Besides, Sutherland is an idiot who knows nothing about our environment, is in bed with the timber companies, and fondles his employees breasts.

If you're looking for a crazy to vote for in the SPI race, pick Hansler. I met him at the 27th LD meeting (which shows he's actually trying unlike the others) and he gave me a copy of his book "Purls of Wisdom". It's about 70 two page essays about his views on things, including how AIDS can be spread like influenza and how there are two types of X genes - the talking gene and the shopping gene - which explains why girls are the way they are.

He's a winner.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »

Bergeson scored the endorsement of the Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO. Major coup.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »

I just read Rossi's statement in the voter's pamphlet. I was honestly a little nervous at first that it might be something good, but now I'm wondering how the heck this guy isn't trailing by 20 points.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Preliminary data I'm seeing says that Democratic turnout is much, much higher than Republican.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »

A question for Washington residents:

What are the prospects for Sound Transit 2 passing muster with voters this November?  Do you think it will suffer the same fate as Proposition 1 (combining mass transit expansions with highway construction) did?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

Difficult to say. There were two distinct coalitions that killed the first one - the environmentalists and the anti-tax faction. The environmentalists claim it was their doing, but I think the exit polling and common sense makes it clear that it wasn't them. They'll vote for this one, but will they be able to make up the 5% it lost by in 2007? And will some voters be turned off by the lack of highways in the new one and switch to the "No" side?

You also have to keep in mind that the voter universe will be vastly different (registered voter turnout in 2007 was around 49% - it's going to be closer to 85% this year).

All things considered, if I had to make a prediction, I'd say it fails narrowly. But I really just don't know.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »

Preliminary data I'm seeing says that Democratic turnout is much, much higher than Republican.

How could they tell that without having seen ballots?  People in the Dems' database as being Democrats are turning out more, or what?  I think that might be slightly skewed, since the Dems have caucus info for them and not the GOP.  So, there are probably a lot more active Republicans (if they didn't vote in the primary) who fall under the radar.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2008, 12:05:09 PM »

How could they tell that without having seen ballots?  People in the Dems' database as being Democrats are turning out more, or what?  I think that might be slightly skewed, since the Dems have caucus info for them and not the GOP.  So, there are probably a lot more active Republicans (if they didn't vote in the primary) who fall under the radar.

Yea, I raised that concern with people as well and we modified our formula to affect % of identified folks turning out instead of raw numbers.

However, "Democratic" turnout is surpassing or very near to surpassing 50% depending on the area, so the unidentified No Data's isn't really relevant in that case.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »

This was how I voted in the major races --

U.S. Rep. District #3:  Cheryl Crist (D)
Governor:  Christine Gregoire (D)
Lieutenant Governor:  Didn't Vote
Secretary of State:  Sam Reed (R)
State Treasurer:  ChangMook Sohn (D)
State Auditor:  Brian Sonntag (D)
Attorney General:  John Ladenburg (D)
Commissioner of Public Lands:  Peter J. Goldmark (D)
Insurance Commissioner:  Mike Kreidler (D)
Superintendent of Public Instruction:  Randy Dorn
Supreme Court Justice Pos. 3:  Mary Fairhurst
Supreme Court Justice Pos. 4:  Charles W. Johnson
Supreme Court Justice Pos. 7:  Debra Stephens

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »

How is Peter Goldmark doing? I read somewhere that the current Land Commish gave an inappropriate back rub to a female staffer.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

How is Peter Goldmark doing? I read somewhere that the current Land Commish gave an inappropriate back rub to a female staffer.

He's outraising his opponent, and the only press Sutherland has gotten recently is the fondling story. Sutherland also has never receive more than 50% in an election.

I'm not quite certain he'll win, but he's doing much better than Ladenburg. I put his odds at a little greater than 50% though.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »

He's outraising his opponent, and the only press Sutherland has gotten recently is the fondling story. Sutherland also has never receive more than 50% in an election.

I'm not quite certain he'll win, but he's doing much better than Ladenburg. I put his odds at a little greater than 50% though.
Thanks for the info. Goldmark reminds me of Ben Westlund -- they're both cowboy environmentalist Democrats from Republican areas.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2008, 10:09:32 PM »

Er, you are voting in the General election already?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »

MY BALLOT! Grin

County initiative 26:
Part 1) No
Part 2) Council-proposed alternative

U.S. Rep. District #8:  Darcy Burner (D)
Governor:  Christine Gregoire (D)
Lieutenant Governor:  Brad Owen (D)
Secretary of State:  Write-in: Dean Logan
State Treasurer:  ChangMook Sohn (D)
State Auditor:  Brian Sonntag (D)
Attorney General:  John Ladenburg (D)
Commissioner of Public Lands:  Peter J. Goldmark (D)
Insurance Commissioner:  Mike Kreidler (D)
Superintendent of Public Instruction:  Randy Dorn
Leg Dist #5 Senator: Phyllis Huster (D)
Leg Dist #5 Representative #1: Joe Viebrock (D)
Leg Dist #5 Representative #2: David Spring (D)
Supreme Court Justice Pos. 3:  Mary Fairhurst
Supreme Court Justice Pos. 4:  Write-in: Freedom Fighter
Supreme Court Justice Pos. 7:  Debra Stephens

And a bunch of other county judges that nobody cares about....
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »

Here's my ballot (or will be when I go to the office to cast it tomorrow).  Governor's race was a coin-flip and I might accidentally vote for someone else, or if the mood strikes.

Congress: Richmond (D)
Governor: Rossi (R)
Lt. Governor: McCraw (R)
Secretary of State: Reed (R)
Attorney General: McKenna (R)
Auditor: Sonntag (D)
Treasurer: Sohn (D)
CPL: Goldmark (D)
Insurance Commissioner: Kriedler (D)
SPI: Dorn
27th - Senate: Faulk (R)
27th - Rep #1: Smeall (D)
27th - Rep #2: Darneille (D)
SSC Pos 3: Fairhurst
SSC Pos 4: Johnson
SSC Pos 7: Stephens
COA D2P2: Houghton
PCSC: Hecht

Weirdest ballot ever.  A lot of it was arbitrary, too.  Whee.
Why did you switch to Rossi?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »

^ Alcon gets a boner over how "undecided" he is.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2008, 12:55:29 AM »

And a bunch of other county judges that nobody cares about....

I'm actually psuedo-working for a few of those judicial candidates. Do you remember who you picked?

And tsk, tsk at Alcon for Rossi and Hecht.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies