Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:36:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 834102 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3125 on: February 09, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »

"Traditional marriage...goes back to when life started."

- Rep. Jan Angel (R-Port Orchard)

do people over the age of 50 not have access to wikipedia?

I suppose you could claim that if you believe that traditional marriage was created by God at the same time that life was created, or something.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3126 on: February 09, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »

The vote from Kirby warrants a primary challenger IMO. Miloscia also may have just cost himself the election for State Auditor.

Are primary challenges effective in states with open/top-two primaries?

It happened to a Democratic State Senator in 2010. The district was significantly more Democratic than Kirby's new district though.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #3127 on: February 09, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »

Rep. Maureen Walsh (R-Human Decency, somewhere near Walla Walla) just gave one hell of a personal speech.  I'm sure it will be on YouTube sometime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbmbdWK6338
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3128 on: February 09, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

Rep. Maureen Walsh (R-Human Decency, somewhere near Walla Walla) just gave one hell of a personal speech.  I'm sure it will be on YouTube sometime soon.

Nice speech.

She beat a Constitution Party candidate 78-22 in 2010. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3129 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »

Rep. Maureen Walsh (R-Human Decency, somewhere near Walla Walla) just gave one hell of a personal speech.  I'm sure it will be on YouTube sometime soon.

Nice speech.

She beat a Constitution Party candidate 78-22 in 2010. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

I think she changed my mind.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3130 on: February 09, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »

Nice speech.

Yay!  One more for equality! Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3131 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »

Watching the anti-gay speeches has actually made me support gay marriage more, if that's possible. I cannot believe how bad their arguments are.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3132 on: February 09, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »

Watching the anti-gay speeches has actually made me support gay marriage more, if that's possible. I cannot believe how bad their arguments are.

It was amazing how long Rodne could talk legalese while rehashing some of the worst arguments I've ever heard.  It's sad to see an obviously intelligent person so obviously set on not even thinking directly about his own argument.

The rest of it fit two categories: 1) People complaining about pre-existing anti-discrimination statutes that will not be affected; 2) People whose idea of "religious liberties" is evidently their freedom to enforce their own religious views on all people through government.  Not a charming bunch.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3133 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »

It was amazing how long Rodne could talk legalese while rehashing some of the worst arguments I've ever heard.  It's sad to see an obviously intelligent person so obviously set on not even thinking directly about his own argument.

The rest of it fit two categories: 1) People complaining about pre-existing anti-discrimination statutes that will not be affected; 2) People whose idea of "religious liberties" is evidently their freedom to enforce their own religious views on all people through government.  Not a charming bunch.

And one of them is a front runner for the GOP Presidential nomination... Depressing.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3134 on: February 09, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »

I'm proud of the Walla Walla critter that voted yes. Not so much for the rest of Eastern Washington.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3135 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »

I'm genuinely undecided on how I'll vote on this come referendum time. This is the first time I've genuinely felt apathetic about a state legalizing gay marriage.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3136 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »

I'm genuinely undecided on how I'll vote on this come referendum time. This is the first time I've genuinely felt apathetic about a state legalizing gay marriage.

Please don't turn into a Santorum supporting, anti-gay marriage theocrat. It's been really sad to watch your political transformation... You're smarter than this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3137 on: February 09, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »

Please don't turn into a Santorum supporting, anti-gay marriage theocrat. It's been really sad to watch your political transformation... You're smarter than this.

I guess I'll probably vote for gay marriage because I can't think of any good reason not to (though I can think of a lot of bad, visceral, vindictive reasons not to), and I don't think I could possibly face a gay person and tell them they don't deserve the chance to get married. I'd like to think I'm not that heartless.

I just won't feel as good about it as I'd like, and that saddens me.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3138 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »

I guess I'll probably vote for gay marriage because I can't think of any good reason not to (though I can think of a lot of bad, visceral, vindictive reasons not to), and I don't think I could possibly face a gay person and tell them they don't deserve the chance to get married. I'd like to think I'm not that heartless.

What a strange way to view this issue. You seem as if you're desperately waiting on any excuse to vote against it, but you just can't find one.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3139 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:57 PM »

Is your new-found religion really making you feel this bad for supporting basic human rights? I hate to budge into something so personal, but perhaps you didn't pick the right church for you...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3140 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 11:50:42 PM by realisticidealist »

Is your new-found religion really making you feel this bad for supporting basic human rights? I hate to budge into something so personal, but perhaps you didn't pick the right church for you...

It's not religion so much as socialization. I don't know...I used to be more passionate about this issue than any other. I used to think exactly the same way as the rest of you guys. But now, I've trained myself to not care because it's the only way to reconcile these two competing interests. I think the way we look at marriage is wrong. I don't think marriage is itself a right per se; I don't like when people say that because I think it demeans marriage. I think marriage is the definition of a privilege and an honor that you must earn, not something that you're entitled to, and perhaps the textual nature of the discourse has allowed me to create artificial reasons to numb myself.

Everything about my ideology should scream for gay marriage to be allowed to those who earn it. I know that I'm being hypocritical otherwise. I've tried to avoid this topic for months, but I don't think I can anymore. I see my emptiness, and I'm ashamed.

I guess gay marriage is the one major issue I don't align with the Catholic Church on. I just need to accept that.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3141 on: February 09, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »

Nice speech.

Hurrah! Welcome to the team, Miles. Cheesy

realisticidealist, if you'd like to talk to me about this, odds are I'll understand the lay of the land with regards to your feelings on this--as somebody who's had a lot of the questions that you're talking about but who feels that he's reconciled them in a way that seems to work.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #3142 on: February 10, 2012, 02:21:46 AM »

Rep. Maureen Walsh (R-Human Decency, somewhere near Walla Walla) just gave one hell of a personal speech.  I'm sure it will be on YouTube sometime soon.

That was a great speech! The part at the beginning is really touching and certainly a great argument for gay marriage as well.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3143 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 04:50:58 AM by Alcon »

My problem is not at all with people who want a religion to give them guidance.  It is not my thing, but if it makes people happy, I could never bring myself to try to take it away from someone.  It doesn't matter whether I understand it or not.  I can understand why religious people are so fearful of being coerced to behave against what is, for them, a source of love and comfort.  I may not understand it personally, but that doesn't matter.  That's what the pursuit of happiness is about.

That is exactly why some of the Republican speeches were unconscionable to me.  Despite their arguments about religious liberty (which were really about other bills, not gay marriage) they immediately turned around and argued that their religious views precluded other religions' ideals of marriage and other people's ideals of love.  This really frustrates me.  Then, most of them spent speech time saying how they "did this out of love," and hoped others would respect their decision, etc.  It is like they were spending speech time reassuring themselves that everything is OK because they're good people, and good people wouldn't do bad things.  They do.  And that's the kind of thinking that lets them sleep well after they do.

Maureen Walsh could have spent four minutes up there talking about believing in the goodness and love in herself.  Instead, she spent it talking about the goodness and love in everyone, and at the core of the human experience.  I'm sending her a check once I have money in the bank.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3144 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »

Yikes, that was ranty.  Man, I'd be really annoying if there were more issues I felt non-ambivalent about.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3145 on: February 10, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »

Maureen Walsh could have spent four minutes up there talking about believing in the goodness and love in herself.  Instead, she spent it talking about the goodness and love in everyone, and at the core of the human experience.  I'm sending her a check once I have money in the bank.

To me, it's probably one of the most influential speeches ever given on gay marriage by a legislator (and I do mean that) because of it's simplicity. Those who oppose gay marriage could at a time before there was gay marriage use any appeal to oppose it. As more gay marriages take place and there are no effects on anyone except a positive effect on gays who get married opposition is much more difficult.

Eventually you are left with people who oppose it out of nothing but spite. To them gay marriage is about everything but gays; it's about 'religion' and 'freedom' and the 'family' and 'tradition' and 'don't know know what gays actually do?'

Mrs Walsh essentially speared that argument very simply. As every married person will know marriage isn't all about sex, it's about much more than that. If you deny the 'much more than that' because of prudish views on sex then you actually demean what a marriage is about. To then deny the benefits of marriage to a group of people for reasons completely unrelated to those benefits is nothing more than spite.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3146 on: February 12, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

Random side note:
I had a dream last night that Santorum was walking around Olympia (he will be there tomorrow) doing all of his anti-gay shenanigans. However in my dream he gets hit by "glitter cannons" which then renders him permanently glittered (my bizarre dream then fast forwarded to him, still sparkling, debating Obama on national television. For me this was an oddly relevant dream sequence, usually I am saving the moon from aliens or flying like superman around a volcano or something.

Question: Will there be significant counter-protests to Santorum's visit? His presence will outrage a good number of liberals and gay-rights activists. As an Olympia native I know that it may be one of the least friendly places for Santorum to visit...
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3147 on: February 12, 2012, 06:11:09 PM »

Santorum's coming to Olympia?  Huh
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3148 on: February 12, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »

Yep! Basically he is going to be the cheerleader for anti-marriage equality forces. Really puts a sour note on what should be a great/historic day for Washington State.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017479338_santorum11m.html
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3149 on: February 12, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »

What a dick.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to: