Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 836904 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4575 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

One other: have you had a chance to calculate what percentage Sawant got in her council district?

58.40%
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4576 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Pastor-Ken-Hutcherson-dead-at-61-236459561.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Antioch Bible Church Pastor Ken Hutcherson dies
Pastor Ken Hutcherson of Antioch Bible Church in Redmond died Wednesday. He was 61.

Hutcherson had been battling cancer.

The founder of the 3,500-member Antioch Bible Church, Hutcherson spoke out against gay marriage and organized local and national rallies against it.

“Pastor Hutch” played college football and went on to play for the Seahawks, Dallas Cowboys, and San Diego Chargers.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4577 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »

If I believed in Hell...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4578 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/12/gay-vice-principal-loses-job-at-catholic-school-after-marrying/

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Encouraging show by the students though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4579 on: January 03, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2014, 03:17:58 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2014/01/02/the-balding-bearded-ultra-liberal-jewish-guy-seat-in-my-37th-legislative-district-just-came-open-hmm

what an annoying man
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4580 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

It looks like tensions are growing between Kshama Sawant and Ed Murray.  Murray chose to go public in response to an insenstivie quote by Sawant.

In yesterday's Seattle Times, Sawant implied that Murray issued an executive order setting a $15 minimum wage for City employees because he was "feeling the pressure from below":

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Murray's response to the short quote is fairly irritable:

Above all, I think it's interesting that Murray decided to go public on this issue, which honestly was probably just Sawant trying to play up the efficacy of her base's passions.  It doesn't exactly suggest they're in close communication.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4581 on: January 05, 2014, 07:24:57 PM »

I can see Sawant having a bumpy term and going down in flames, voters just wanted an incumbent out and they got something worse she will have a short political career. And this $15 minimum wage is just pandering by Murray he will balk at enacting it city-wide and just do it for public workers even if it makes the ballot it will fail.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4582 on: January 12, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »

It's tough being a traitor to both sides I'd imagine:

Pressures grow for state Senate’s maverick majority leader

By Andrew Garber
Seattle Times Olympia bureau
Originally published Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM

OLYMPIA — Sen. Rodney Tom is a majority leader without a party.

Democrats can’t forgive him for crossing party lines last year, along with Sen. Tim Sheldon, to give the GOP control of the state Senate. The party is targeting Tom in this year’s elections.

And some Republicans, who owe Tom big time for putting them in charge, say he could be replaced with a majority leader from their own party if they pick up at least one more seat in November.

With that cloud overhead, Tom goes into another legislative session Monday as the ostensible leader of an unwieldy coalition of 24 Republicans and two Democrats — himself and Sheldon.

Their priorities include pushing through a series of laws, including changes to the state’s workers’ compensation system and state pensions.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4583 on: January 12, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »

I imagine that voters hate party traitors more than party-switchers.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4584 on: January 12, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2014, 06:15:22 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

the tensions, they MOUNT!

(This was, to be clear, at a press conference.  This thing is going about how I expected -- neither Murray nor Sawant has much reason to play friendly with the other.  The question is how much the cooperation disintegrates.  My guess is a lot.)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4585 on: January 13, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »

It's tough being a traitor to both sides I'd imagine:

Pressures grow for state Senate’s maverick majority leader

By Andrew Garber
Seattle Times Olympia bureau
Originally published Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM

OLYMPIA — Sen. Rodney Tom is a majority leader without a party.

Democrats can’t forgive him for crossing party lines last year, along with Sen. Tim Sheldon, to give the GOP control of the state Senate. The party is targeting Tom in this year’s elections.

And some Republicans, who owe Tom big time for putting them in charge, say he could be replaced with a majority leader from their own party if they pick up at least one more seat in November.

With that cloud overhead, Tom goes into another legislative session Monday as the ostensible leader of an unwieldy coalition of 24 Republicans and two Democrats — himself and Sheldon.

Their priorities include pushing through a series of laws, including changes to the state’s workers’ compensation system and state pensions.

Rodney Tom is at least somewhat too liberal for present day Republican party of Washington and too conservative - for Democratic...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4586 on: February 01, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

The special election for chair of the state Democratic Party is today. Things kick off at 1:30 PT. I wouldn't expect results until late afternoon/evening.

Oh God, I missed this. Please don't let this happen.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4587 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »

Who actually makes it all the way down to Vancouver may also be a factor. It's not really convenient for anyone outside of Clark County.

My feeling is that Laurent has this locked down, but I've also heard people fairly insistent that Ravens is the frontrunner. Haven't heard anyone talking up Kainber.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4588 on: February 01, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

Ravens won by quite a lot.

Also, new thread title.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4589 on: February 01, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »

Obviously, more happens during presidential years in WA state, but when was the last statewide race that the GOP carried in WA state? You look back at the 2012 maps, 2008 maps, 2004 maps, 2000 maps, etc and all you see is Democratic wins.  It's scary.  Same thing as OR.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4590 on: February 01, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »

I don't know why that's scary, but the last major GOP statewide victory was in 1994 (Slade Gorton re-elected to the Senate).
Seattle
United States

« Reply #4591 on: February 01, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »

In recent years, McKenna's wins as AG are notable - especially his re-election in 2008.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4592 on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »

McKenna was uniquely suited to win in '04 and '08 - a moderate East King Republican for whom I cast my ballot for Governor. That was before East King started to shift blue (Atlas red) more rapidly and McKenna joined the Obamacare suit (ill-advised in WA) and started going to Tea Party rallies (even more ill-advised in WA).

The GOP's situation in WA is similar to what it will soon be in Virginia and has been in many Midwest states for a long time - consigned to rural areas where they are dominant while statewide wins are racked up in the major metro area, which swings D. There are still some East King County pubs who have a potential future (Andy Hill, Steve Litzow and Reagan Dunn, really), but the party has lost a lot of ground in the Seattle suburbs just in the past four or five years and is increasingly reliant on Eastern WA and the southwest. They'll need a new coalition to win statewide again anytime soon without a guy like McKenna.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4593 on: February 01, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »

Obviously, more happens during presidential years in WA state, but when was the last statewide race that the GOP carried in WA state? You look back at the 2012 maps, 2008 maps, 2004 maps, 2000 maps, etc and all you see is Democratic wins.  It's scary.  Same thing as OR.

If i remember correctly - SoS race in 2012.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4594 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »

Unlike it's southern neighbor though where the GOP cupboard is bare, the Republicans have actually put up some halfway decent candidates in WA State, but they still can't win.  Yes, we could make the argument that Gregoire stole the 2004 Gubernatorial race, but she won again in 2008 by a clear margin in Rossi re-match.  It also looks like the eastern most counties in the state are getting bluer as the years pass.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4595 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »

Unlike it's southern neighbor though where the GOP cupboard is bare, the Republicans have actually put up some halfway decent candidates in WA State, but they still can't win.  Yes, we could make the argument that Gregoire stole the 2004 Gubernatorial race, but she won again in 2008 by a clear margin in Rossi re-match.  It also looks like the eastern most counties in the state are getting bluer as the years pass.

And Inslee, who might have been one of the dullest and least charismatic candidates to ever run for Governor, beat the GOP's best candidate in a generation in a year when the state trended R as a whole (admittedly not by much). The GOP's base is in the Eastern part of the state, specifically in the Tri-Cities, Yakima and the eastern and northern Spokane suburbs, and that makes their policies and outlook anathema even to moderate McKenna-Obama voters in King County, which is where elections are won in this state.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4596 on: February 02, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »

So I know this is the Gubernatorial board, but I'm asking this here since this WA thread is enormous...

Are Dems even going to try to contest Reichert or Herrera Beutler's seats?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4597 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »

They both have announced opponents, but neither are viable. Meanwhile, none of the freshman Democrats have opponents. Both parties are focused on the State Senate this year.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4598 on: February 02, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »

There is no question that the GOP has some bad luck, particularly that gubernatorial races are less partisan and many minority parties across the country hold the statehouses in their respective states.  Of course, in WA state, these races are held during presidential years where democrats turn out in greater numbers and of course, there is always the "coming home" effect by the majority party in the end, which has hurt the Republicans over and over and over.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4599 on: February 02, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

Washington is a socially liberal state, but is much more centrist on economic issues. During the 90s and 00s, social issues tended to dominate political discussion. That's been changing recently and this shift towards economic issues could benefit Republicans. If WA Dems ever make a big move for a progressive income tax, I could see that potentially being the GOP's comeback moment.

Still, it's hard to imagine Murray or Cantwell going anywhere. I'm pretty sure Dow Constantine will be our next candidate for Governor after Inslee, and he will be tough to beat. Whether or not Inslee wins re-election remains to be seen - thus far he's been pretty unoffensive so I'm inclined to think he will win again.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies