Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:26:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 844592 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4700 on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

Surprised that Oakville voted so heavily against it. Interesting to see how sharp the split is between Langley and Oakville.

A bit surprised not to see Bellingham on the top list too.

You might be confusing Oakville with Oak Harbor.

Yarrow Point in the top ten is interesting.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4701 on: November 29, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2014, 05:45:54 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Yeah, Oakville is a small town between Olympia and Hoquiam/Aberdeen.  Oak Harbor was basically tied (50.1% No), but it's a way different town than Langley.  Lots of retired and current military.  (Although I-594 actually passed military bases statewide, 61%-39%).

Here's a beautiful I-594 map of King County.  bgwah, no complaining about the color scheme.  (Click for larger, uncompressed version - slow load time)

Seattle
United States

« Reply #4702 on: November 29, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »

Surprised that Oakville voted so heavily against it. Interesting to see how sharp the split is between Langley and Oakville.

A bit surprised not to see Bellingham on the top list too.

You might be confusing Oakville with Oak Harbor.

Yarrow Point in the top ten is interesting.

Yup- what a brain fart.

Alcon- Great map!
Seattle
United States

« Reply #4703 on: November 29, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »

I was just looking through WA's gubernatorial results going back into the 80s and I saw something weird.

How is it that Booth Gardner won Cowlitz county with 62% of the vote in 1984, but lost it narrowly in 1988, while sweeping the state? Even Garfield county voted for him (though I imagine Garfield County was not as Republican as it is now). Now that I'm looking, Wahkiakum County also swung significantly against Gardner.

Also why did Dixy Lee Ray get 60%> in Benton and Franklin counties in 1976?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4704 on: November 29, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2014, 09:23:30 PM by bgwah »

I was just looking through WA's gubernatorial results going back into the 80s and I saw something weird.

How is it that Booth Gardner won Cowlitz county with 62% of the vote in 1984, but lost it narrowly in 1988, while sweeping the state? Even Garfield county voted for him (though I imagine Garfield County was not as Republican as it is now). Now that I'm looking, Wahkiakum County also swung significantly against Gardner.

Also why did Dixy Lee Ray get 60%> in Benton and Franklin counties in 1976?

The Republican candidate was from Cowlitz County in 1988 and represented that area in the state legislature.

Aside from being a conservative Democrat, Ray was a big support of nuclear power. The intro to her Wikipedia page includes quite a bit of information on that subject (link).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4705 on: December 12, 2014, 03:39:49 AM »

County Maps of I-594 and I-591

I-594 (Pro background checks)
]
Yes - 59.27%
No - 40.73%

I-591 (Anti background checks)

Yes - 44.73%
No - 55.27%

Asotin County continues to be an electoral enigma.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4706 on: March 13, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »

The Stranger has gotten it's hands on an email from Ex-SoS Sam Reed apparently meant for fellow "mainstream Republicans" in which Reed states that he believes State Sen. Andy Hill will run against Jay Inslee in 2016.

For those unaware, Hill is a moderate Republican who currently holds a Redmond/Bellevue-based seat that went 58% for Obama in 2012. I'd essentially describe him as "Rob McKenna with a voting record"
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4707 on: March 13, 2015, 06:58:55 PM »

]
Yes - 59.27%
No - 40.73%

Yes - 44.73%
No - 55.27%

Why the hell does the same question asked differently have quite different percentages? Are voters really that dumb.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4708 on: March 13, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »

]
Yes - 59.27%
No - 40.73%

Yes - 44.73%
No - 55.27%

Why the hell does the same question asked differently have quite different percentages? Are voters really that dumb.

You do know that your sig has Abbott? I think you already know the answer to your question.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4709 on: March 14, 2015, 01:17:35 AM »

Don't ask such a stupid question. Tongue
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4710 on: March 14, 2015, 02:56:52 AM »

]
Yes - 59.27%
No - 40.73%

Yes - 44.73%
No - 55.27%

You do know that your sig has Abbott? I think you already know the answer to your question.

lol, touche.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4711 on: March 15, 2015, 01:15:41 AM »

The Stranger has gotten it's hands on an email from Ex-SoS Sam Reed apparently meant for fellow "mainstream Republicans" in which Reed states that he believes State Sen. Andy Hill will run against Jay Inslee in 2016.

For those unaware, Hill is a moderate Republican who currently holds a Redmond/Bellevue-based seat that went 58% for Obama in 2012. I'd essentially describe him as "Rob McKenna with a voting record"

Unlike Rob McKenna, he has not won two statewide campaigns. But also unlike Rob McKenna, there is probably no video of him cheerfully telling a Tea Party rally how awesome they are, and he can't run on suing over Obamacare. So there's that.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4712 on: March 15, 2015, 01:26:57 AM »

Why not Steve Litzow? He seems to me at least as good as Hill.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4713 on: March 15, 2015, 01:37:46 AM »

Might just be a matter of Litzow not wanting it, or at least not as much as Hill.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4714 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »

Might just be a matter of Litzow not wanting it, or at least not as much as Hill.

Litzow would make a great Governor, at least among Republicans. Part of it may be that he'd have to give up his Senate seat to run (if I remember correctly, he's in the cycle elected same years as Gov and Pres)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4715 on: March 15, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »

Washington dems, would Inslee be at all vulnerable? It seems Washington Republicans view him as vulnerable if they're pursuing Hill as hard as they are.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4716 on: March 15, 2015, 11:19:30 PM »

Washington dems, would Inslee be at all vulnerable? It seems Washington Republicans view him as vulnerable if they're pursuing Hill as hard as they are.

Probably not. Dem Governors always seem more vulnerable than they actually are.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4717 on: March 15, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »

The GOP is simply too unpopular after Bush and some earlier things to win the governorship. Inslee's unpopularity won't be a factor, just as Gregoire was reelected with approval ratings in the low thirties.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4718 on: March 16, 2015, 01:24:05 AM »

The GOP is simply too unpopular after Bush and some earlier things to win the governorship. Inslee's unpopularity won't be a factor, just as Gregoire was reelected with approval ratings in the low thirties.

Washington elects governors in Presidential years, so  - probably yes. But i am reasonably sure McKenna would beat Inslee in 2014 or 2010. Just as Rauner beat Quinn or Hogan - Brown. If he got abput 48,5% in 2012 - he would win in these years.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4719 on: March 16, 2015, 01:36:44 AM »

And one reuest for state gurus: i am living abroad now (and, probably, will be in foreseable future), so i am almost completely Internet-based as far as information is concerned. I am interested in opinions (objective) about ideological composition of freshmen in state legislature. Such information is not especially easy to find, and wait 2 years until someone, like Boris Shor, will update his legislative database is a long time. It seems to me, that Democratic politicians in the state (with glaring exceptions of Tim Sheldon and, may be, Christopher Hurst) are, generally, follow moderate-liberal to very liberal line, and that seems true about freshmen too, but i may be wrong. What about republican freshmen? I heard someone, like Melanie Stambaugh, be called "pro-choice moderate". Is it really so? In the past state has good numbers of reasonable moderate republicans, but, as in almost all states, they became much scarcer of recently, being pressed heavily by right-wingers.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4720 on: March 16, 2015, 08:40:14 AM »

And one reuest for state gurus: i am living abroad now (and, probably, will be in foreseable future), so i am almost completely Internet-based as far as information is concerned. I am interested in opinions (objective) about ideological composition of freshmen in state legislature. Such information is not especially easy to find, and wait 2 years until someone, like Boris Shor, will update his legislative database is a long time. It seems to me, that Democratic politicians in the state (with glaring exceptions of Tim Sheldon and, may be, Christopher Hurst) are, generally, follow moderate-liberal to very liberal line, and that seems true about freshmen too, but i may be wrong. What about republican freshmen? I heard someone, like Melanie Stambaugh, be called "pro-choice moderate". Is it really so? In the past state has good numbers of reasonable moderate republicans, but, as in almost all states, they became much scarcer of recently, being pressed heavily by right-wingers.

Melanie Stambaugh is definitely our most interesting new GOP freshman. Only 24 and a former local beauty queen, she's probably a name to keep eye on in the South King/Puyallup area. Not sure how familiar you are with geography, but that's roughly where WA-10 and WA-8 come together. Her future is probably at the state level, though. She'll probably be her LD's Senator within 5-10 years.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4721 on: March 16, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »

Melanie Stambaugh is definitely our most interesting new GOP freshman. Only 24 and a former local beauty queen, she's probably a name to keep eye on in the South King/Puyallup area. Not sure how familiar you are with geography, but that's roughly where WA-10 and WA-8 come together. Her future is probably at the state level, though. She'll probably be her LD's Senator within 5-10 years.

I know geography (including those of Washington state) fairly well, though, of course, not as good as local denizens do. Thanks for info, but what about other freshmen?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4722 on: March 16, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »

Washington elects governors in Presidential years, so  - probably yes. But i am reasonably sure McKenna would beat Inslee in 2014 or 2010. Just as Rauner beat Quinn or Hogan - Brown. If he got abput 48,5% in 2012 - he would win in these years.

Not sure even about that. Dino Rossi's uninspiring margin in the 2010 senate race suggest the Democratic shift is fairly real.

The East-West polarization has been expanding greatly since the 1994 elections, and thus the GOP is now heavily dependent on the anti-tax, anti-gun control anti-environmental voters in the Eastern Cascades. A rightward shift was the result.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4723 on: March 16, 2015, 02:13:09 PM »

Thanks, i know that. But while vast majority of Democrats in Washington state are elected  from "west of Cascades" districts, many Republicans hail ftom the western part of the state too. It's them, who were of interest to me...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4724 on: March 16, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »

To be fair, Gregoire was propped up by a very strong Democratic wave.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies