Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:21:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 844317 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5275 on: May 11, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »

The same article that mentioned Farrell also mentioned Sen. David Frockt, who I think would excite no one and have zero constituency.

The map isn't even a gerrymander, it's just a sh*t map

The one good thing that could come about if Hasegawa was elected Mayor is that the commission might have less of an impetus for drawing the ugly forced majority-minority 11th. Dismantling that would make for a much cleaner looking King county, at least.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5276 on: May 11, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »

The same article that mentioned Farrell also mentioned Sen. David Frockt, who I think would excite no one and have zero constituency.

The one good thing that could come about if Hasegawa was elected Mayor is that the commission might have less of an impetus for drawing the ugly forced majority-minority 11th. Dismantling that would make for a much cleaner looking King county, at least.

Who?

Anyways, they should just refuse to give the commission the home addresses of incumbents. King Co's map is hideous but there's some stinkers in EWA and I'm still not sure what they were thinking with that horseshoe thing down in Clark
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5277 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »

Who?

Anyways, they should just refuse to give the commission the home addresses of incumbents. King Co's map is hideous but there's some stinkers in EWA and I'm still not sure what they were thinking with that horseshoe thing down in Clark

Except the legislature chooses who is on the commission so they pick people who will fight for their interests.

While we're listing complaints, the 9th, 2nd, and 1st are all horror shows.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5278 on: May 11, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »

Who?

Except the legislature chooses who is on the commission so they pick people who will fight for their interests.

While we're listing complaints, the 9th, 2nd, and 1st are all horror shows.

Heh I live in the 1st now. Real odd combo of towns it stitched together. I'm not convinced anybody actually lives in the 2nd - couldn't tell you how on earth to get anywhere that's in it
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5279 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »

Well, the clown car grows: Jessyn Farrell is officially in: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-state-rep-jessyn-farrell-joins-crowded-race-for-seattle-mayor/

I like her a lot, but as I said earlier, she's remarkably unknown. Perhaps STB and Seattle Subway have enough influence to get her name out, which could in turn get The Urbanist on her side, idk.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5280 on: May 12, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »

Well, the clown car grows: Jessyn Farrell is officially in: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-state-rep-jessyn-farrell-joins-crowded-race-for-seattle-mayor/

I like her a lot, but as I said earlier, she's remarkably unknown. Perhaps STB and Seattle Subway have enough influence to get her name out, which could in turn get The Urbanist on her side, idk.

She's more on the transportation side than the development side of urbanism from what I can tell. These obviously go hand in hand, but that's her difference from Moon. Maybe Flawless Beautiful Brady Yellow heart returns the favor she paid him last year?

Just realized much of her district is outside of Seattle. Stretches into Lake Forest Park and Kenmore (!). We were talking about bad districts yesterday - there is zero reason for this district to be drawn this way either
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5281 on: May 12, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »

Some write-ups on Durkin have been popping up, and with them some red flags.

Namely:
-Defended Uber and McDonalds in legal battles
-Has a history of being anti-pot.
-Somewhat shady history of prosecuting protesters.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5282 on: May 12, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

Some write-ups on Durkin have been popping up, and with them some red flags.

Namely:
-Defended Uber and McDonalds in legal battles
-Has a history of being anti-pot.
-Somewhat shady history of prosecuting protesters.

I suspect federal prosecutors have to take a different stance on pot than mayors, TBF, and most of her term as USA was pre-legalization. That'll obviously be a question she'll have to answer, though
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5283 on: May 15, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »

Glad to have read Erica Barnett's interview with Nikkita Oliver: https://thecisforcrank.com/2017/05/15/the-c-is-for-crank-interviews-nikkita-oliver/

It definitely focused on land use and development, which helped to distill some of Oliver's views. More nuanced than I originally thought, but definitely not on the side I lean (desire for some ambiguous form of rent control, more community process (really??), emphasizing blaming the housing crisis on developers (and speculative market forces) over restrictive zoning). Good to see she's willing to tackle gentle density (mother-in-law units, accessory dwelling units, duplexes, etc.) in affluent single-family neighborhoods, though she didn't really lay down any specifics.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5284 on: May 15, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

If you're skeptical of the Seattle establishment (such as it is) but support more density, Cary Moon would be the obvious choice, with Jessyn Farrell probably a close second

Honestly, a Farrell vs. Moon runoff is a best case scenario
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5285 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 11:33:09 PM by publicunofficial »

Unsurprising news is still news:

Kshama Sawant has endorsed Oliver for Mayor, Grant for City Council.

Farrell meanwhile has gotten the endorsements of State Rep. Cindy Ryu, State Rep. Gerry Pollet, and Public Lands Commissioner Hillary Franz. Three of my favorite Democrats in the state!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5286 on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »

Unsurprising news is still news:

Kshama Sawant has endorsed Oliver for Mayor, Grant for City Council.

Farrell meanwhile has gotten the endorsements of State Rep. Cindy Ryu, State Rep. Gerry Pollet, and Public Lands Commissioner Hillary Franz. Three of my favorite Democrats in the state!

I'm coming around to Farrell being my preferred choice, with Moon a close second and Durkan bringing up third. All three would be solid urbanists and I think it'd be nice to have a lady in the Mayor's office finally.

In other news, saw a Jinyoung Englund ad on CNBC at work today and I've seen Dhingra signs all over Redmond. The 45th is heating up. (Still think Dhingra wins, in no small part thanks to the super-South Asian demographics around here)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5287 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

Anyone know when the filing deadline is? Curious how long Durkan and Walkinshaw have to decide whether to pull the trigger

Harrell (ugh) might run, too
What is so bad about Harrell?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5288 on: May 19, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »

Anyone know when the filing deadline is? Curious how long Durkan and Walkinshaw have to decide whether to pull the trigger

Harrell (ugh) might run, too
What is so bad about Harrell?

Bit of an empty suit/hack
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5289 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »

Issaquah Council member Tola Marts (D) will challenge Dave Reichert in WA-08. I have no idea who he is or his quality as a candidate.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5290 on: May 23, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »

Better than Darcy Burner Tongue

Mark Mullet would have a free run at Reichert but I doubt he takes it. Issy and the Plat are the places where Dems need to run up the score to have a chance in this district
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5291 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »

By this point I'm confident that census growth patterns will favors Dems in the next round of redistricting. Seattle proper is growing at nearly twice the pace of the state rate, entitling it to early half of an additional LD by this point. Tacoma should pass Spokane by decade's end. Interesting that The Valley is growing at faster clip than Spokane despite being a hellhole.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5292 on: May 25, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »

By this point I'm confident that census growth patterns will favors Dems in the next round of redistricting. Seattle proper is growing at nearly twice the pace of the state rate, entitling it to early half of an additional LD by this point. Tacoma should pass Spokane by decade's end. Interesting that The Valley is growing at faster clip than Spokane despite being a hellhole.

I don't know if the 9th will be kept as it is, but it's looking more than likely that Seattle will almost perfectly fit one district. I'd like the original 7th to come back. As for LDs, it'll be interesting to see just how overpopulated the 43rd and 36th are.

Spokane's growth seems to have picked up though. So perhaps the dynamic will change by 2020.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5293 on: May 25, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »

I believe the 9th is as goofy as it is in order to be an MM district. Laudable, but difficult to draw well in a state as white as Washington. An all-Seattle 7th would be ideal, I agree
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5294 on: May 25, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 05:30:20 PM by Seattle »

I believe the 9th is as goofy as it is in order to be an MM district. Laudable, but difficult to draw well in a state as white as Washington. An all-Seattle 7th would be ideal, I agree

Oh, I know. I think it's ridiculous. Especially since Adam Smith is only in his early 50s (!!) and will likely be there for another 15+ years.

I believe it was Slade Gorton that masterminded the 9th, thus securing the 8th for Reichert. Then they masqueraded the district as a "minority-majority" to both the other Ds/independents on the redistricting council and the public at large.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5295 on: May 25, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »

Oh, I know. I think it's ridiculous. Especially since Adam Smith is only in his early 50s (!!) and will likely be there for another 15+ years.

I believe it was Slade Gordon that masterminded the 9th, thus securing the 8th for Reichert. Then they masqueraded the district as a "minority-majority" to both the other Ds/independents on the redistricting council and the public at large.

I'm hoping a Dem can defeat Reichert before 2022 so the commission will be more likely to make the 8th more D-leaning.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5296 on: May 25, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »

I believe it was Slade Gorton that masterminded the 9th, thus securing the 8th for Reichert. Then they masqueraded the district as a "minority-majority" to both the other Ds/independents on the redistricting council and the public at large.

Rick Larsen isn't that old and has been around forever too. Those two will be the Scoop-Mag combo of the House (a man can dare to dream)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5297 on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »

Rick Larsen isn't that old and has been around forever too. Those two will be the Scoop-Mag combo of the House (a man can dare to dream)

I could see Smith climbing the leadership ranks if one of Hoyer, Pelosi, and/or Clyburn retire. Larsen meanwhile is the definition of a backbencher.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5298 on: May 25, 2017, 11:19:31 PM »

I could see Smith climbing the leadership ranks if one of Hoyer, Pelosi, and/or Clyburn retire. Larsen meanwhile is the definition of a backbencher.

Either Adam (Smith or Schiff) would make a great Speaker.

Larsen might be the most anonymous member of Congress besides Lucille Roybal-Allard now that Sam Farr is gone
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5299 on: May 31, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »

Jessyn Farrell, D-46, will announce her resignation, adding yet another WA leg special.

She's doing so to focus on her bid for Seattle mayor. McGinn made a nice pro-transit, "let's work with Sound Transit to get LR built faster" statement that certainly tugged at my heart strings. But I still question his efficacy if elected. Doubtful he's learned how to play politics and work with the city council.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies