Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:06:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 851446 times)
mds32
United States

« on: August 03, 2016, 05:47:02 AM »

Well the fact of the matter is now the GOP of Washington will have 2 (if Wyman wins) statewide officeholders again. Barring a huge surge for one of the Democrats. It isn't really the Democrats fault here, obviously the GOP candidates had (under the radar) very good campaigns since they are taking up a larger share of the vote than the SOS race. Nevertheless it is an unwanted loss for the Democrats in a state where since 2008 we have seen them lose more than gain ground.

Since 2008 the Democrats have picked up the AG office.
Since 2008 the Republicans have picked up the Treasurer office, State Senate, 2 votes away in the State House.
mds32
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »

My ballot:

I-1433: Yes
I-1464: Yes
I-1491: Yes
I-1501: No
I-732: Yes - This was one of my toughest choices.
I-735: Yes
R-8210: Approved
King County Charter Amendments 1 and 2: Yes

US President/Vice President: Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine
US Senator: Patty Murray
US Representative: Pramila Jayapal - Last minute decision, I'd be happy with either.
Governor: Jay Inslee
Lt Governor: Cyrus Habib
Secretary of State: Tina Podlodowski
Treasurer: Duane Davidson
Auditor: Pat McCarthy
Attorney General: Bob Ferguson
CPL: Hillary Franz
SPI: Chris Reykdal
Insurance Comm: Mike Kreidler

Justice Position 1: Mary Yu
Justice Position 5: Barbara Madsen
Justice Position 6: Charlie Wiggins
Judge Position 14: Nicole Gaines Phelps
Judge Position 26: David Keenan
Judge Position 31: Helen Halpert
Judge Position 44: Cathy Moore
Judge Position 52: Anthony Gipe
Judge Position 53: Marianne Spearman

Seattle I-124: Yes
Seattle Prop 1: Yes

Can I ask why Duane Davidson rather than the other GOPer?
mds32
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »

State Senator Andy Hill (R-Redmond), also the GOP's chief budget writer, passed today from lung cancer at the age of 54. RIP, he was a decent guy and a competent legislator. He represented a fairly D-leaning district.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/state-sen-andy-hill-dies-of-lung-cancer/

So a special election will occur in the following year with the GOP being allowed to appoint a successor until then?
mds32
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »

Dino Rossi could be appointed to Andy Hill's vacant Senate Seat.

Could Rossi actually hold the seat in the special election for Republicans?
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/dino-rossi-says-hes-willing-to-temporarily-replace-hill-in-state-senate/
mds32
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »

Honestly, what he does is just for power. By becoming that decisive vote, he's been able to have way more influence since, what 2010, than if he was some D-caucusing member.

Though that's going to end in 2018, I think. With both better than 50% odds of picking up Hill's vacant seat and Miloscia's. Does Sheldon switch parties?

No reason to be in the "Majority Coalition Caucus" if it doesn't get you a majority. Letting a complete traitor back into the caucus might make some Democrats wince, but there's probably no other Democrat who can both primary Sheldon and hold the seat.

I agree that the State Senate is definitely Lean D at this point. D's have almost no vulnerable LD's up for grabs this cycle, and Republicans have to defend the 45th and the 30th, and maybe even the 6th, 26th, or 47th if Democrats get serious.

Has it been confirmed that Baumgardner is taking a job in DC? I know Dansel is gone (big surprise) but was this just a rumor?

Has a temporary EPA transition job, which might develop into a full-time position. Same with Erickson.

Erickson, asshole that he is, is currently annoying his Republican colleagues by splitting time between his EPA job and his legislative duties. And with a tied Senate, votes are often being put on hold until Erickson flies back from DC.

Could the GOP, however, manage to take the State House of Representatives while losing the Senate?
mds32
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »

I saw this on DailyKos:

Olympia City Council Seat 6 Aug. 1st Election Results

Jeannine Roe (R-inc) — 45.57% (4237)

Renata Rollins (G) — 37.02% (3,442)

Michael Snodgrass (D) — 17.4% (1618)

Greens and Democrats have teamed up to fund and support Renata Rollins (G) in the runoff on Nov. 7th to take this Olympia, WA (pop. 51.2k) city council seat. This is a way to push Jill Stein out of our minds and realize that Greens and Dems can work together against Republicans when necessary. Jeannine Roe is a confirmed Republican City Councilor.

This is a seat that we as a coalition can definitely win, and the Green Party would actually have a chance to grow. Greens, when they don’t cause ballot splitting catastrophes, should most certainly be given the chance to govern. Cam Gordon (G) is a city councilor on the Minneapolis City Council, the largest city council with a Green Party officeholder currently.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies