Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:46:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 849017 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 03, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »

This title has been annoying me for a long time.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

Bleh....Stupid five way race for Treasurer,   what a mess.

http://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/State-Treasurer.html

If you take any one of the three Dems out the other two would win easily,  possibly even shutting the two Republicans out.   

Looks like the GOP gets an easy pickup this year,   the WA Dems better win that SoS office!
It's a little ironic that you used the SoS site as a source...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »

Which of the Treasurer candidates is more moderate?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 06:48:20 PM »

There isn't much difference between Waite and Davidson. Both are anti-income tax, anti-deficit spending. The main difference is that one's a politician and one's a Wall Street financial management guy.

Davidson, the politician, has most of the big endorsements (Wyman, Reed, other county treasurers from both parties). Waite is backed by McKenna and some Republican state senators.

If I had to pick one, Davidson is probably slightly more likely to play nice with the establishment whereas Waite might be more hardline.

If Waite is more hardline, why'd McKenna endorse him?

It seems strange that McKenna and Wyman split endorsements. I'd probably support Davidson, though.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:19:49 AM »

In addition to targeting GOP seats, Dems also need to run a strong primary challenger to Tim Sheldon.

In this case they risk to lose district to "real republican". Sheldon's district is far from being very liberal in it's nature..

It's already basically in GOP hands already. Dems have nothing to lose by targeting Sheldon.

You think there can't be a worse Republican then Sheldon? Not sure. I heard this said many times in the South about their conservative Democrats. History has shown that to be mostly false: Republicans, who replaced these conservative Democrats, turned to be not simply worse, but - much worse.

Some of them, yes, but the Cochran-Haslam establishment types are usually the most common and almost all of them are better than their racist Democratic predecessors. For example, even saying John Boozman is worse than, say, Dale Bumpers, is a big stretch for me.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2016, 11:27:55 PM by Secretary of State Nominee Kingpoleon »

Bruce Dammeier won 52-48 or so. I was rooting for Talbert. :/

That's too bad. I bet he'll be GOP nominee in '20. It's his potential appointments to the ST Board that should be the concern (and why I supported Tolbert)

Agreed. Also, what's with the color change?

Alcon, RI, or anyone else, can you make a swing map of Skagit? I think it would look interesting.

Also RI, awesome map. Did Clinton even win Longview?

I've decided I need to be less partisan and focus more on what policy I want to see be implemented, regardless of party. Also, I'm a hackish Third Way neoliberal. Not a lot of mileage for that stance anymore in the Democratic Party, particularly WA.

That said, I can't imagine voting for many WA GOP candidates in the future, especially with the demise of Eastside moderates like Litzow and McKenna over recent years.

It is very interesting to me to see how Washington regularly elects very liberal people, and Oregon elects people like Wyden and Merkley: people willing to compromise and moderate on economics.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »

Bruce Dammeier won 52-48 or so. I was rooting for Talbert. :/

That's too bad. I bet he'll be GOP nominee in '20. It's his potential appointments to the ST Board that should be the concern (and why I supported Tolbert)

Agreed. Also, what's with the color change?

Alcon, RI, or anyone else, can you make a swing map of Skagit? I think it would look interesting.

Also RI, awesome map. Did Clinton even win Longview?

I've decided I need to be less partisan and focus more on what policy I want to see be implemented, regardless of party. Also, I'm a hackish Third Way neoliberal. Not a lot of mileage for that stance anymore in the Democratic Party, particularly WA.

That said, I can't imagine voting for many WA GOP candidates in the future, especially with the demise of Eastside moderates like Litzow and McKenna over recent years.

It is very interesting to me to see how Washington regularly elects very liberal people, and Oregon elects people like Wyden, Merkley, and Inslee: people willing to compromise and moderate on economics.

Inslee is from WA FWIW and is pretty moderate on non-climate change related issues. (I should say moderate by WA standards)

Yeah, oops. I was mistaken. There are plenty of moderate Republicans in Washington, though:

Gubernatorial: Rossi(2004 & 2008), McKenna(2012)
Senatorial: Rossi(2010), Vance(2016)

Even McGavick was pretty moderate.

Finally, all three of your Republican congressmen and congresswomen are to the left of even people like Kasich, and probably at least as centrist as Sandoval.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

Anyone know when the filing deadline is? Curious how long Durkan and Walkinshaw have to decide whether to pull the trigger

Harrell (ugh) might run, too
What is so bad about Harrell?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »

Is she more moderate than Durkan?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies