Rasmussen Tracking Poll [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:06:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Rasmussen Tracking Poll [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75
Author Topic: Rasmussen Tracking Poll [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 500245 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: November 08, 2008, 01:29:21 PM »

I don't really care that Rasmussen underpolled Obama in Hawaii or Massachusetts or Alabama or something. Those were going to be blow-outs and no one cared. If you look at the swing states, then Rasmussen had a small, but consistent Republican bias of about 2-4 points. Same with Mason-Dixon, who really only did well in Florida (which, to their credit, they got exactly).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1801 on: November 08, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

I don't really care that Rasmussen underpolled Obama in Hawaii or Massachusetts or Alabama or something. Those were going to be blow-outs and no one cared. If you look at the swing states, then Rasmussen had a small, but consistent Republican bias of about 2-4 points. Same with Mason-Dixon, who really only did well in Florida (which, to their credit, they got exactly).

Eh...so your argument is what exactly? Rasmussen on purpose tried to inflate McCain's poll numbers in swing states so that they could look incompetent and then tried to cover it up by inflating Obama's poll numbers in other states so as to make them look even worse?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1802 on: November 08, 2008, 02:01:37 PM »

Eh...so your argument is what exactly? Rasmussen on purpose tried to inflate McCain's poll numbers in swing states so that they could look incompetent and then tried to cover it up by inflating Obama's poll numbers in other states so as to make them look even worse?
Er... no? When did I say anything like that? I don't believe that Rasmussen has some secret pro-Republican agenda and that he's fixing his polls. He just didn't do as well this cycle as he has in past cycles, and something about how he took his polls gave them a bit of a Republican lean.

I looked at the final margin in Rass's polls versus the final real margin in 18 swing states (CO, NV, NM, AZ, MT, MN, IA, MO, WI, IN, MI, OH, PA, VA, NC, FL, and NH). In only four of these states was Obama's margin over-polled, AZ, GA, MO, and MN (and in GA and MO, the difference was less than 1, which could have just been a matter of rounding). In all the other states he under-polled Obama, sometimes by small margins of 1-2, but more than half the time by larger margins of 3-8.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1803 on: November 08, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »

Er... no? When did I say anything like that? I don't believe that Rasmussen has some secret pro-Republican agenda and that he's fixing his polls. He just didn't do as well this cycle as he has in past cycles, and something about how he took his polls gave them a bit of a Republican lean.

I looked at the final margin in Rass's polls versus the final real margin in 18 swing states (CO, NV, NM, AZ, MT, MN, IA, MO, WI, IN, MI, OH, PA, VA, NC, FL, and NH). In only four of these states was Obama's margin over-polled, AZ, GA, MO, and MN (and in GA and MO, the difference was less than 1, which could have just been a matter of rounding). In all the other states he under-polled Obama, sometimes by small margins of 1-2, but more than half the time by larger margins of 3-8.

Yeah...and I looked at all of the states and I didn't get any Republican bias.

But then I assume that you are arguing that Rasmussen used different methodologies in close states as opposed to non-close states? (and close states here mean states he may have thought were close, and not states that actually ended up close).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1804 on: November 08, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »

States that neither candidate campaigns in are more susceptible to large, random swings, so I don't think looking at those really tells us anything. The swing states, where most people have made up their mind by election day, should be a lot easier to poll, and I think that how a pollster does in those states is much more important.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1805 on: November 08, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »

States that neither candidate campaigns in are more susceptible to large, random swings, so I don't think looking at those really tells us anything. The swing states, where most people have made up their mind by election day, should be a lot easier to poll, and I think that how a pollster does in those states is much more important.

I'm not sure I agree. If anything, the opinion in those states should be pretty stable since it isn't being hammered by the campaigning? Do you have any evidence for this claim? It seems to me like you're awfully close to arbitrarily throwing out data that doesn't fit your conclusions.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1806 on: November 09, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »

Sunday, November 9, 2008
Strongly Approve 42%(+1)
Strongly Disapprove 26%(-3)

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1807 on: November 09, 2008, 11:05:53 AM »

How is there a "Presidential Approval rating" for Obama when he isn't even President...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1808 on: November 09, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

I'm not sure I agree. If anything, the opinion in those states should be pretty stable since it isn't being hammered by the campaigning? Do you have any evidence for this claim? It seems to me like you're awfully close to arbitrarily throwing out data that doesn't fit your conclusions.
I think that, if anything, being hammered by campaigning would stabilize voting patterns. I think that someone would be more likely to solidify his support for one candidate or the other if he's constantly being shown ads, being called by the campaign, being sent literature, etc. Meanwhile, voters in states like New York and Alabama are much more on their own.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1809 on: November 20, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »

The Rasmussen Reports Daily Presidential Approval Index for Thursday shows that 41% Strongly Approve of the way Barack Obama is performing his role as President-elect while 19% Strongly Disapprove for a net rating of +22.

That’s Obama’s highest rating yet, up three points from yesterday and up twelve points since the night after the election.

Overall, 61% of voters somewhat or strongly approve of Obama’s performance so far while 35% disapprove.

By way of comparison, 13% of all voters Strongly Approve of the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president. Forty-four percent (44%) Strongly Disapprove. That gives the current President a -31 rating on the Presidential Approval Index.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1810 on: November 20, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »

How is there a "Presidential Approval rating" for Obama when he isn't even President...

I can only suppose it means they approve of how he's handling the transition
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1811 on: November 21, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »

I predict that Obama will enjoy about 65-70% approval ratings after being sworn in.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1812 on: November 21, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »

I believe it refers to "President of the Universe", a title that is Obama's for life. Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1813 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »

Obama's approval ratings are taking off:

Approve - 64% (41% Strongly Approve) +12 since Election Day
Disapprove - 33% (17% Strongly Disapprove) -11 since Election Day

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/obama_approval_index_history
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1814 on: December 01, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

Not terribly surprising, actually.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1815 on: December 01, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »

I know, Bill Clinton had 80% approval ratings during his transition period in January 1993 and even Bush the Joke had 70% approval ratings.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1816 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »

Even higher today:

65% Approve (+1)
32% Disapprove (-1)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1817 on: December 02, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »

I know, Bill Clinton had 80% approval ratings during his transition period in January 1993 and even Bush the Joke had 70% approval ratings.

During your transition, the goal is to name people that the populace generally like to cabinet positions, stand there and look good, don't do anything stupid and generally stay out of the way.  Even an idiot can do it.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1818 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »

Higher once more today:

67% Approve (+2)
30% Disapprove (-2)

42% Strongly Approve (+1)
15% Strongly Disapprove (-1)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1819 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »

Clinton bounce!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1820 on: December 07, 2008, 04:59:23 AM »

Clinton/Gates bounce. I'm sure that keeping Gates on won the hearts of some Rethugs.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1821 on: December 07, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »

Sunday, 7 December, 2008

Strongly Approve 44% (+1); Approve 67% (nc)

Strongly Disapprove 17% (+1); Disapprove 31% (-1)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1822 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »

Time to start the 2012 50 state polling! I want to see how amusing the maps would look right now.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1823 on: December 07, 2008, 11:53:36 PM »

Higher once more today:

67% Approve (+2)
30% Disapprove (-2)

42% Strongly Approve (+1)
15% Strongly Disapprove (-1)
Tender, I just wanted to tell you that the picture in your signature is very possibly the most horrible form of torture I have ever had to deal with. That is unfairly hot. (I dont care if my nerd is showing or not!)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1824 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »

Obama reaches a new high today:

68% Approve (+1)
30% Disapprove (-1)
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75