Obama going racial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Obama going racial
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama going racial  (Read 2710 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »

Do you think the Obama campaign's recent pre-emptive assault on racial ads (meaning, claiming that there will be ads about race against him) will help or hurt his efforts to win the election?  Which demographics will it help/hurt him in?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2008, 12:49:55 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

Do you think the Obama campaign's recent pre-emptive assault on racial ads (meaning, claiming that there will be ads about race against him) will help or hurt his efforts to win the election?  Which demographics will it help/hurt him in?

No effect. 

Everyone's knows that there are some people on the right who are going to bring up his race.  Hell, people on the left did during the primary process. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »

Either he'll be right and they will or, to prove him wrong, they won't and the campaign will be free of racist innuendo.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »

Obama's in a no win situation. If he leaves the attacks unanswered things will only get worse. Pat Buchanan called him "exotic" last week. Try to fight back and you'll get accused of play the race card, labelling all your critics bigots. Laura Ingraham and pretty much everybody on FOX is doing that now.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »

Obama's in a no win situation. If he leaves the attacks unanswered things will only get worse. Pat Buchanan called him "exotic" last week. Try to fight back and you'll get accused of play the race card, labelling all your critics bigots. Laura Ingraham and pretty much everybody on FOX is doing that now.

In all fairness, Obama's life experience is "exotic" in the fact most Americans have grown up in different countries.  Likewise, McCain's life experience in not what most Americans have seen.

My life experience is "exotic," compared to most of the people on board.  Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »

Probably won't do much.  It helped him in the primaries, but I doubt there's anything more.  Now, if McCain calls him a gook, then he has a huge advantage; but otherwise, everything that can happen, probably has.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »

I think the Muslim smear and the whitey tape rumor have already happened and were both clear examples of race baiting.

With regard to the Muslim smear, I have a feeling that "Muslim" is being used as a code word for "black" because prejudice towards Muslims is far more socially acceptable than prejudice towards African-Americans.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »

I think the Muslim smear and the whitey tape rumor have already happened and were both clear examples of race baiting.

With regard to the Muslim smear, I have a feeling that "Muslim" is being used as a code word for "black" because prejudice towards Muslims is far more socially acceptable than prejudice towards African-Americans.

Muslim goes beyond Black, well beyond that in early 21st Century America.  You can actually be Black and be anti-Muslim.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 09:18:51 PM »

JJ I don't think its fair to not include me in that exotic group, as we both went to laurel valley. Wink
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 09:24:01 PM »

Nah. However, they'll bring up his foreign name and claim he's a covert muslim.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »

No, no, it's not a fear-of-skin-color thing.  It's a fear-of-competing-religion thing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »

In all fairness, Obama's life experience is "exotic" in the fact most Americans have grown up in different countries.  Likewise, McCain's life experience in not what most Americans have seen.

My life experience is "exotic," compared to most of the people on board.  Smiley

I live 650 kilometers from where I was born. My life experience is exotic compared to 90% of people in the world. Tongue

Calling him "exotic" is not offensive in & of itself, though the people who watch Pat Buchanan would probably equate "exotic" with "un-American," which they would equate with "terrorist." Still, sly move on his part. This hostile takeover may yet become interesting. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies