Most socially liberal Bush state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:00:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most socially liberal Bush state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Most socially liberal Bush state  (Read 36869 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »

What's the most socially liberal Bush state now?!

Nevada!

Sounds about right. Most socially liberal swing state is Oregon, and the most socially liberal Kerry state is probably Massachusetts.

I wouldn't call Oregon a swing state - a swing state would probably be one Bush won.  Remember, you have to adjust two points.  In a tie election, Kerry "would" have won Oregon by almost seven points - hardly a swing state.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2005, 09:39:42 PM »

More of these nonsensical uniform swings? Yeah, I don't pay much attention to them.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »

Nevada!

Sounds about right. Most socially liberal swing state is Oregon, and the most socially liberal Kerry state is probably Massachusetts.

I wouldn't call Oregon a swing state - a swing state would probably be one Bush won.  Remember, you have to adjust two points.  In a tie election, Kerry "would" have won Oregon by almost seven points - hardly a swing state.

It's called partisan index.

Here's a partisan index of all states going back to 1968

http://www.mydd.com/balance

(I know I'm using MyDD, but it is correct)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2005, 01:00:42 AM »

More of these nonsensical uniform swings? Yeah, I don't pay much attention to them.

OK, but you argue that a state that voted for a Democrat by 4 points (a decent margin) in a year where Republicans won by 2 points (a small margin) is a swing state.  That is a rather liberal definition of "swing state."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2005, 01:31:40 PM »

Nevada!

Why do so many of you put so much faith in this "sway" BS?  States and regions don't vote based on a national treand (since their colmination creates that trend, the view point is acctually counter-intuitive), they vote the way they vote for individual reasons, not because of some herd mentality.  If one state, or two states decind to "buck the trend" it is not nessesarily an indication of... anything.  Various factors go into these things.
Burn baby, Burn
pellaken
Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: -1.08

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2005, 02:46:00 AM »

Utah!

lol, naw, either Nevada or Florida. maybe Iowa
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »

I'll go out on a limb and say my home-state of Ohio. There are a lot of social liberals around Ohio. Most of us are just staunch economic conservatives that vote accordingly.

I would say Ohio is one of the most libertarian states in the country.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2006, 11:39:45 PM »

I'll go out on a limb and say my home-state of Ohio. There are a lot of social liberals around Ohio. Most of us are just staunch economic conservatives that vote accordingly.

This suprises me; I've always thought of Ohio as a populist leaning state.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »

I agree from what I've seen. Columbus and Yellow Springs areas are the only social liberal areas I can think of. The Cincy area (Tom Brinkman country) makes my county (Livingston) look almost liberal. Toledo/Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown is union country. The SE part of the state is like West Virginia. The Central/Western interior is like Indiana or West Michigan.

I don't live in Ohio though, so I'm only going on my impressions of my visits and what I've followed.

Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2006, 11:55:27 PM »

As for socially liberal Bush state, it's a tough call. I don't see where any socially liberal states voted for Bush. New Hampshire, Nevada, and Colorado have libertarian streaks, but I don't consider that liberal. They don't like government much, and I consider that more conservative in the 1994 sense. I'd have to go with Iowa. It's more moderate than anything else. 

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »

As for socially liberal Bush state, it's a tough call. I don't see where any socially liberal states voted for Bush. New Hampshire, Nevada, and Colorado have libertarian streaks, but I don't consider that liberal. They don't like government much, and I consider that more conservative in the 1994 sense. I'd have to go with Iowa. It's more moderate than anything else. 

Technically this question refers to 2000, not 2004, and of course Bush lost Iowa in 2000. As for the states Bush won in 2000, I would probably list the same ones you mentioned (NH, NV, CO), but yeah, none are really socially liberal, and NV and CO in particular have lots of socially conservative areas.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2006, 01:53:23 AM »

I agree from what I've seen. Columbus and Yellow Springs areas are the only social liberal areas I can think of. The Cincy area (Tom Brinkman country) makes my county (Livingston) look almost liberal. Toledo/Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown is union country. The SE part of the state is like West Virginia. The Central/Western interior is like Indiana or West Michigan.

I don't live in Ohio though, so I'm only going on my impressions of my visits and what I've followed.

I spent most of my life in Cleveland, and I have to say that people there don't care too much for government regulation of personal choices and lifestyles. It is home to the rock and roll hall of fame after all Smiley

You see, you have two kinds of social liberals. You have the kind that are socially liberal in a sense that they really want to fight for their idea of freedom and really feel that social issues are pressing the country. then you have the social liberals that are in a sense that they just don't care what other people are doing.

Ohio is the latter.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »

Probably Nevada and then New Hampshire.  Florida is one of the most conservative states in the country, top 10.  Nevada everything is legal lol.  In New Hampshire, the ppl are conservative, but the laws are somewhat liberal so I would say Nevada.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

2000: New Hampshire - only one of the Bush states that legalized same-sex marriage.
2004: Iowa - only one of the states Bush won that legalized same-sex marriage even though it was judges that required it. According to a recent poll, Iowa has one of if not the highest share of support for same-sex marriage.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies