Most socially conservative Gore state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:29:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most socially conservative Gore state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most socially conservative Gore state  (Read 12194 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2004, 09:00:08 PM »

Yep. Here's a good place to report a poll result, from the same survey Vorlon posted the Presidential results from...

Research & Polling Inc., 402 likely statewide voters, by telephone Aug. 27-Sept. 1, MOE +/- 5% [for both questions]

SAME SEX MARRIAGE:
Support or Oppose?
62% Oppose
28% Support
10% Undecided

NOTE! From the discussion of which groups backed and opposed gay marriage, I can infer that Hispanic working-class Democrats are the 'non-conservative' group which opposes gay marriage.

Was there a thread or a poll on that?

Hmm? Huh There's usually several threads that pop up on gay marriage, although in my case I was more interested in using the poll to demonstrate the social conservativeness of Gore state New Mexico...
fargo

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 08:51:31 PM »

PA, IA, or MN[western MN is politically dakotan but is always outvoted by the MSP metro area & the iron range.]
weallbleed
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 09:45:08 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2004, 09:48:00 PM by weallbleed »

PA, IA, or MN[western MN is politically dakotan but is always outvoted by the MSP metro area & the iron range.]

That may be true, but it voted for Bush anyway, and isn't too heavily populated. Because the more liberal areas have more people, MN isn't that socially conservative of a state. There are socially conservative parts of NY and CA too, but they are clearly outvoted.

What's interesting though is I live very close to the MN border, and the area I live in is far more liberal than the parts of Minnesota just over the border. I'm guessing you live in Fargo, and that too is far more liberal than the parts of Minnesota across the border from it as well (except Moorhead of course)
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 07:30:51 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2004, 07:33:39 PM by Ats »

On social issues, Pittsburgh and it's suburbs are conservative. Economically they might be liberal but socially they are conservative.

Since when? I know a couple social conservatives in Bethel Park... but that's about it... Maybe if you count Butler County as a suburb of Pittsburgh, then you could argue that.

Most socially conservative would be Iowa, New Mexico second, Pennsylvania third.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004, 01:26:54 AM »

Oregon is definately the most conservative Gore state.

Not on social issues.  Doctor Assited Suicide??
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 02:12:57 AM »

On social issues, Pittsburgh and it's suburbs are conservative. Economically they might be liberal but socially they are conservative.

Since when? I know a couple social conservatives in Bethel Park... but that's about it... Maybe if you count Butler County as a suburb of Pittsburgh, then you could argue that.

Most socially conservative would be Iowa, New Mexico second, Pennsylvania third.

Southeastern PA newspapers practically barbecue social conservatism.  Philadelphia and it's suburbs are socially liberal with few exceptions.  I will concede to KeystonePhil that Northeast Philadelphia may be the most socially conservative part of the great Southeastern part of PA, but I would consider it socially moderate at worst.
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 07:50:58 PM »

Yes perhaps, but Pittsburgh suburbs are also by no means socially conservative ... socially moderate is about right.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2004, 07:45:28 AM »

I would say Florida was Gore's most conservative State.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2004, 07:46:22 PM »

Southeastern PA newspapers practically barbecue social conservatism.  Philadelphia and it's suburbs are socially liberal with few exceptions.  I will concede to KeystonePhil that Northeast Philadelphia may be the most socially conservative part of the great Southeastern part of PA, but I would consider it socially moderate at worst.

How would you define socially conservative?  SW PA is expectionally pro-life, for example.
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2004, 08:36:35 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2004, 08:42:11 PM by Ats »

Yes SW PA is probably majority pro-life, but otherwise it is not socially conservative (probably majority are for civil union, at least a sizealbe minority (>40%) are for gay marriage as well. I also get the sense the the PATRIOT Act is opposed fairly strongly around these parts.

Even so, metro Pittsburgh, excluding Squirrel Hill, is VERY pro-choice.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 11:41:55 PM »

I'd have to say:

1. Iowa
2. New Mexico
3. Pennsylvania
4. Wisconsin
5. Minnesota

Also, for the person who posted a bit earlier...New Hampshire wasn't a Gore state.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies