WV: Rasmussen: Obama 8% down in WV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:27:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WV: Rasmussen: Obama 8% down in WV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WV: Rasmussen: Obama 8% down in WV  (Read 3679 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:21:46 AM »

New Poll: West Virginia President by Rasmussen on 2008-06-02

Summary: D: 37%, R: 45%, U: 5%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:26:55 AM »

lol?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:30:21 AM »

The 13% for "other" is amusing, but then you wouldn't expect either candidate to inspire WV voters much.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »

Yeah, McCain ain't breaking 60% in WV. The question is who that 13% for other (rofl) will go to.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »

That's it?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »

"Other" is code word for "I'm really voting for McCain but I don't want to admit that it's because I hate black people and am giving up on decades of Democratic support just because of my bigoted, backwards racial beliefs". I'm a little surprised it's at 13% though.

Just for the record I suppose, Obama managing to win here would be on of the biggest advances in race relations in America in years. But he won't.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »

I did say that McCain wasn't the best match for WV, either. Better than Obama, so the margin will be somewhat larger than 2004 (maybe 15-17 points), but not much better.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »

I dont know what to make of this unless Barr is getting 13% here. I can't see how he was behind by 25 a few weeks ago and then lost by 40 in the primary, only to surge later.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 10:39:57 AM »

I dont know what to make of this unless Barr is getting 13% here. I can't see how he was behind by 25 a few weeks ago and then lost by 40 in the primary, only to surge later.

I think this is close to Obama max in WV. Most of the 13% will end up voting for McCain, unless something happens and McCain falls way behind in the polls, but I don't see that happening.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »

Given Obama's skin color could one expect any other outcome in WV?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:02:42 AM »

Obama will be lucky to get 40% of the vote in West Virginia.  I don't know why some people are professing surprise at Obama gaining in the polls, however.  He is now the assured nominee of the Democratic Party - that counts for something in West Virginia even if he can't win here.  Democrats nationwide will be overwhelmingly rallying around Obama in the next few days and weeks. 
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »

A) As I'm sure everyone knows, Barr can't possibly be at 13% in WV. B) Barr may not even be on the ballot in WV. Does anyone know the requirements for getting on the ballot as an independent?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

Bush was a terrific candidate for WV. McCain is not a very good candidate for WV. This is not surprising. Obama will not win the state, but West Virginia is far too Democratic for WV to reach Alabama levels in 2008.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

hmm... well at least it's nice to know that some of the Democrats there aren't quite racist enough to vote for a Republican. I'd still advise Obama not to waste any serious amount of time here.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 09:52:15 PM »

"Other" is code word for "I'm really voting for McCain but I don't want to admit that it's because I hate black people and am giving up on decades of Democratic support just because of my bigoted, backwards racial beliefs". I'm a little surprised it's at 13% though.

Just for the record I suppose, Obama managing to win here would be on of the biggest advances in race relations in America in years. But he won't.

Yep. That's my grandparents...secretly rooting for McCain but not able to admit it because they don't want a black or a Republican, but moreso a black.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »

No way.  Obama will be lucky to break 35% in November.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:08 PM »

Satan (D) himself wouldn't have that much trouble breaking 35% in West Virginia...
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 10:23:58 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2008, 11:40:17 PM by ChrisFromNJ »

Umm... no.

West Virginia is no Alabama.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:04 PM »

[Barr may not even be on the ballot in WV. Does anyone know the requirements for getting on the ballot as an independent?

15,118 signatures submitted by August 1st according to Ballot Access News.  As of May 1st, the Greens are already on the ballot there, and the Constitution Party appears to be well on its way with its signature drive,
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »

[Barr may not even be on the ballot in WV. Does anyone know the requirements for getting on the ballot as an independent?

15,118 signatures submitted by August 1st according to Ballot Access News.  As of May 1st, the Greens are already on the ballot there, and the Constitution Party appears to be well on its way with its signature drive,

Thanks. I guess we'll see how many supporters Barr brings in. I know from previous conversation with George Phillies that the LP's costly but successful bid for ballot access in North Carolina may have led them to abandon efforts in WV. Of course, the entrances of Barr and Gravel into the race may cause a bit of a resurgence in the tiny WVLP but again, this remains to be seen.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 02:19:36 AM »

Thanks. I guess we'll see how many supporters Barr brings in. I know from previous conversation with George Phillies that the LP's costly but successful bid for ballot access in North Carolina may have led them to abandon efforts in WV. Of course, the entrances of Barr and Gravel into the race may cause a bit of a resurgence in the tiny WVLP but again, this remains to be seen.

Will the Greens break 1% in West Virginia?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 02:26:40 AM »

Umm... no.

Correct. Arkansas is a more accurate comparison
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2008, 09:15:15 AM by ChrisFromNJ »

Umm... no.

Correct. Arkansas is a more accurate comparison

Correct. And McCain isn't nearly as good a candidate for West Virginia as Bush was. And to add to that, McCain isn't an incumbent. West Virginia has always favored incumbents, which is why Bush won it by close to 15 points in 2004. In the end, I expect Obama to lose West Virginia by 10 points.   But those who think that Obama will be lucky to break 35 in West Virginia have no idea what they are talking about.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »

You want Obama to win WV?(along with many other states dems couldn't normally get) Have him campaign as anti-gun control, anti-illegal immigration, federalist/states rights on social issues and a deficit hawk.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »

You want Obama to win WV?(along with many other states dems couldn't normally get) Have him campaign as anti-gun control, anti-illegal immigration, federalist/states rights on social issues and a deficit hawk.

West Virginia is not really a "state rights" state. They are just a culturally conservative state.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies