should jeff davis have been hanged?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:01:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  should jeff davis have been hanged?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: should jeff davis have been hanged?  (Read 10462 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »

im not a supporter of the death penalty.

but he certainly deserved it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:20:48 PM »

No, but only because no one should be hanged. If I was a supporter of the death penalty, hell yeah in his case.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »

No.  Because I oppose the death penalty AND because if you executed Davis for treason, you'd have to execute a lot of other Southerners.  That's all this country needed after the Civil War.  More bloodshed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:05:41 PM »

No.  Because I oppose the death penalty AND because if you executed Davis for treason, you'd have to execute a lot of other Southerners.  That's all this country needed after the Civil War.  More bloodshed.

Good reasoning.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »

Yes. He was guilty of treason. In fact, since he was the leader of the rebels, he deserved it more than any other Confederate.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »

I support the death penalty for treason, so yes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »

Yes... by the Confederates.  His poor management and unreasonable demands are the reason they lost the war... and his refusal to surrender only heightened the call for reprisals against the rebels.

The bastard threw away countless lives by appointing John Bell Hood to command the forces around Atlanta and then telling them to "go after them."  Johnson was smart.  He knew what he was doing.  Had Davis not been an idiot and allowed him to do it, the Union would have kept suffering horrific loses in front of Atlanta, and Lincoln might have lost the election.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »

I support the death penalty for treason, so yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

The first person who should have been hanged during the Civil War was Lincoln for violating the constitution and creating an unnecessary war
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »

The first person who should have been hanged during the Civil War was Lincoln for violating the constitution and creating an unnecessary war

The South had no right to secede from the Union.  The Constitution is an unbreakable contract.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

The South had no right to secede from the Union.  The Constitution is an unbreakable contract.
Have you ever heard of the Hartford Convention and similar events?  The idea of secession was not unique to the South, they were just the ones who acted.  There were several states that entered into the Union only under the pretext that COULD secede if they wanted too. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »

Have you ever heard of the Hartford Convention and similar events?  The idea of secession was not unique to the South, they were just the ones who acted.  There were several states that entered into the Union only under the pretext that COULD secede if they wanted too. 

Indeed, and none of the states that proposed leaving the Union should have been allowed to, if they had tried.

Which states?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 03:39:04 PM »

Indeed, and none of the states that proposed leaving the Union should have been allowed to, if they had tried.

Which states?
The New England ones
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »

New England entered the Union only on the condition they could leave later?  That sounds odd.  Besides, it doesn't matter.  Since it was no written into the Constitution that states could leave later, they are unable to.  The Constitution is permanent and binding.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »

New England entered the Union only on the condition they could leave later?  That sounds odd.  Besides, it doesn't matter.  Since it was no written into the Constitution that states could leave later, they are unable to.  The Constitution is permanent and binding.
May I refer you to Amendment 10?  If you are unfamiliar, it states in laymen terms, anything not in the constitution is left to the states to decide
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »

I am familiar with the 10th Amendment, thank you.

However, I maintain that secession is unconstitutional, resting still on the old argument that the Constitution is a permanently binding document, from which you cannot break out.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

However, I maintain that secession is unconstitutional, resting still on the old argument that the Constitution is a permanently binding document, from which you cannot break out.
There is also an argument that the Earth is flat, but the facts suggest otherwise.  Whether the states could secede or not is not a matter of opinion, the 10th amendment makes their right to secede a fact.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »

There is also an argument that the Earth is flat, but the facts suggest otherwise.  Whether the states could secede or not is not a matter of opinion, the 10th amendment makes their right to secede a fact.

I disagree on that point.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »

Its called a fact, you can disagree on opinions, facts cannot be disagreed with.  This is like me telling you the sky is blue and you insist that it is gold.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »

Its called a fact, you can disagree on opinions, facts cannot be disagreed with.  This is like me telling you the sky is blue and you insist that it is gold.

No, it's not.  I interpret the Constitution as an unbreakble contract, and apparently you do not.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »

No, it's not.  I interpret the Constitution as an unbreakble contract, and apparently you do not.
Why do you choose to disregard the 10th amendment?  I assume you also disregard 1-26 as well?  Possibly the whole thing?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »

Why do you choose to disregard the 10th amendment?  I assume you also disregard 1-26 as well?  Possibly the whole thing?

It is called interpretation.  I interpret the Constitution as an unbreakable contract.  The 10th Amendment doesn't allow states to murder people for wearing green shirts; it likewise does not allow for secession.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »

Ben, you're wrong. Secession is perfectly legal (with a caveat).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 11:34:55 PM »

Of the two presidents during the Civil War the proper president was executed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies