What? No "Where's MODU" thread? (PICTURES ADDED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:57:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What? No "Where's MODU" thread? (PICTURES ADDED)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What? No "Where's MODU" thread? (PICTURES ADDED)  (Read 3428 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2008, 10:26:12 AM by MODU »

Hey guys,

Sorry for being so quiet for the past 10 or so days.  I flew out to Texas over a week ago for my nephew's HS graduation.  It was a good event for such a small graduating class.  Unfortunately while I was out there, I was bitten by something.  The local doctor out there thought it was a brown recluse spider by the way the wound looked and the skin reacted.  I was being treated locally until I flew back out to civilization, and have been in the hospital ever since.  With more resources as their disposal here, the doctors have yet to determine what actually bit me, but they thing that the skin reaction I have is more due to the MRSA virus rather than a venom.  I've been receiving a variety of antibiotics in the mean time.

I've taken a few pictures of my leg which I will post once I'm discharged and can get them downloaded from my camera.  But if you want to get a rough picture of what it looks like in your mind, imagine a burgundy patch roughly the size of your hand on your calf, with a black spot the size of a dime.  In addition, I have an infection streak that ran up the main vein in the though, so that's in there too.  Ahh the joys of it all.  Anyway, I wanted to let you know where I had disappeared to, and no, you are not rid of me yet.  Tongue

EDIT:  The infection disease doctor came in and they have verified that it was a Recluse that bit me, and if I hadn't come in straight from the airport, they might have had to remove 6 inches of the infected skin since it would have been beyond treatment.  As it stands now, I have an infected mass of about 3 inches in diameter under the bite (identified via CAT scan) that might require surgery, but that will have to wait until next week after a few more rounds of anti-biotics.  No, I won't post a picture of that if it happens.  hahaha
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »

Sad

But it's good to know you're fine.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »

Eek.  Brown recluses are quite dangerous.

What part of Texas?  I'm guessing rural East Texas, due to phrases like "small graduating class," "local doctor," and "back to civilization."  Perhaps around Tyler?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

That's scary.. I hope you get better.  If it was a brown recluse, that could get pretty nasty.

I had a teacher in high school that took a group of students to Belize where he contracted some disease in the jungle and all of his hair fell out.  Nobody knows what it was.

But I guess you probably have similar symptoms.. just a different disease, known commonly as "old age" Wink

Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »

good to see you're going to be fine. That kind of thing can get much worse.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »

Brown recluse spider bites are some of the nastiest looking things I've ever seen. So I eagerly await avoiding but ultimately giving in to your photographs.

I actually didn't notice your absence until I saw the title of this thread, and then it hit me. I hope you have a full recovery and get back around here soon Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »

Here's a picture of the largest spider species we have here... and if you think you can escape by jumping in a lake, take note:  These spiders can skate across the water and dive underwater to catch prey, which includes small fish.

AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »

Ick. I hate spiders. Vile creatures.

I'm glad you're doing better though. Smiley

Welcome back to the Atlas too.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »

Eek.  Brown recluses are quite dangerous.

What part of Texas?  I'm guessing rural East Texas, due to phrases like "small graduating class," "local doctor," and "back to civilization."  Perhaps around Tyler?

Yup, Tyler, Tx.

That's scary.. I hope you get better.  If it was a brown recluse, that could get pretty nasty.

I had a teacher in high school that took a group of students to Belize where he contracted some disease in the jungle and all of his hair fell out.  Nobody knows what it was.

But I guess you probably have similar symptoms.. just a different disease, known commonly as "old age" Wink

hahaha . . . yeah, my hair has been gone for a while.  Tongue

Brown recluse spider bites are some of the nastiest looking things I've ever seen. So I eagerly await avoiding but ultimately giving in to your photographs.

I actually didn't notice your absence until I saw the title of this thread, and then it hit me. I hope you have a full recovery and get back around here soon Smiley

Well, I said that I was going to be out of town, so I didn't expect people to actually miss me.  Tongue  Some of the better pictures will be posted, but I don't have many from when the leg looked it worst.  A friend took a picture with his phone, so maybe I can get a copy that way.  hahaha . . . nasty critter.

For snowguy, here's a brown recluse ... pretty tiny spider with a nasty bite.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »

Ick. I hate spiders. Vile creatures.

I'm glad you're doing better though. Smiley

Welcome back to the Atlas too.

Thanks bud.  We've caught this in time and got the right treatment, so things are looking good.  Can't wait for it to be healed and over with though.  hahaha
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 06:11:12 PM »

does this mean your leg got red-ring'd like your XBox?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »

does this mean your leg got red-ring'd like your XBox?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, no red ring.  However, the red splotch is very impressive.  Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who's MODU?

In all seriousness, good to see you are alright.  Spider bites... eek...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 07:55:34 PM »

That's great you are alright though, none of us want anything bad to happen to you.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »

Glad you're okay.  I've had another death in the family, so I've been a bit preoccupied.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:20:47 PM »

can you shoot webs?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

You were gone, MODU?

Oh, uh, ya, uh, you were.......welcome home  Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »

MODUMan, MODUman, does whatever a spider can...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »

MODUMan, MODUman, does whatever a spider can...

hAhaha . . . I've already received a Spiderman doll in the hospital.  Tongue  One of my old friends called and said "Leave it to the arachnaphobe to be bitten by one of the most dangerous spiders."  I have a feeling the jokes are going to last a very long time.  hahaha

And I'm sorry about your loss.  I hope the best for you and your family.  Hopefully there wasn't much suffering involved with their death.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 12:33:50 AM »

Sorry to hear about this.  Are the doctors pretty sure you have MRSA (bacteria) in the bite?  Best of luck..

As for brown recluse they're everywhere in Missouri, but worst in basements of older houses.  I remember renting an old house in Columbia Missouri back in the 90's with five friends (rent $85/month each), and the friend who lived in the basement room suddenly noticed small spiders around.  He was terrified they were brown recluse, and that they would bite his penis, causing it to fall off, so we took one of the spiders to the entomology department at MU.  There the indulgent prof of entomology threw the spider from its jar onto the floor and dramatically stomped upon it, following up to say that it was in fact a brown recluse and my friend better get out of that basement.  Which he did by taking up residence in the living room.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 11:09:51 AM »

Forget the still pictures, Modu -- take video of them expressing and draining the thing.  You can post it at...

www.popthatzit.com

(You guys think I'm kidding?  Trust me -- there is a web site for EVERYTHING.)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »

Goodness Surprise I'm glad you're allright though. As for spiders, I'm glad I live in Scotland! (gets attacked by a swarm of midges)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »

Sorry to hear about this.  Are the doctors pretty sure you have MRSA (bacteria) in the bite?  Best of luck..

They haven't said anything else about it this morning, but most of the impacted/infected areas of faded, leaving me with the 3-inch area right around the bite and the original streak up my thigh along the artery.  Nasty little critters.  Glad your friend in the basement wasn't bitten.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »

MODU = one of my favorite posters....along with "Keystone Phil", "Andrew Berger", "J.J", "The Mikado" and "HARP" among many many others.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »

You see, MRSA is a reason why no one should travel for any reason. That, and bedbugs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies