Daily VP Discussion: Mark Sanford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Daily VP Discussion: Mark Sanford
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daily VP Discussion: Mark Sanford  (Read 831 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »

Gov. Mark Sanford (R-SC)

Governor of South Carolina (2003 - Present)
Congressman (1995-2001)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »

Another good pick but I think his positive comments about Obama are something we can do without. It would make a great Obama ad.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »

This is probably McCain's safest choice.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »

Keep Independents, moderates, and conservatives happy (or not pissed off). Works for me! He's my number one pick.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »

He is a Southern Conservative although not a religious styled one and he has a solid record on fiscal and economic issues and is also young  He would be both a fairly good and safe pick for McCain, however does he really want to be VP?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »

I think Sanford would accept the VP offer if it were presented to him.

Besides, isn't there a two (consecutive) term limit for South Carolina governors?  If he decides not to accept McCain's offer (should he make it) for the VP slot, I suppose Sanford could run a primary campaign against Sen. Jim DeMint if the senator runs for re-election in 2010 before his own (final) term ends in 2011.  Besides that, I don't see any possibility for his political advancement before the 2012 presidential election, and I think he would be much better positioned to win the GOP presidential nomination then if he were the incumbent Vice-President -assuming McCain wins this November. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »

I love our Heavenly governor would be a terrific choice, but I doubt he wants to run for VP. He keeps saying that he wants to retire after his last term as governor.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:54:33 PM »

He's got a few quirks, but otherwise he's a good complement to McCain's strengths.  Good, clean pork-buster.  A Southerner, a governor, certainly religious but not religious enough to scare anybody.

He's been the obvious pick for months.

To our South Carolinian members:  How's the SC economy been doing under his tenure?  Because if it's been performing under par, that's his one potential weak point.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 11:08:10 PM »

Other than being named one of the five worst governors in the US by the LIBERAL Time magazine, I'm not entirely sure how our economy has done under Mark. I do know I proudly voted for him in the 2006 election. Our state's unemployment rate is 5% which is about the national average.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »

My main reason for hating the idea of a Vice President Sanford is that it means at least two years of Governor Bauer.  Because of that, if McCain picks Sanford, I'm voting for Obama.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

My main reason for hating the idea of a Vice President Sanford is that it means at least two years of Governor Bauer.  Because of that, if McCain picks Sanford, I'm voting for Obama.

I wouldn't do that. Chances are Bauer will die in a car accident or OD on cocaine while he flies an airplane and crash and die this time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:04:40 PM »

I wouldn't do that. Chances are Bauer will die in a car accident or OD on cocaine while he flies an airplane and crash and die this time.

To be fair, I'm talking about Bauer (who've I despised ever since I had the misfortune to have him as a State Senator), not Ravenel, so I doubt he'd be hopped up on cocaine.  Still, you managed to come up with a worse scenario than Governor Andre Bauer: Governor Glenn F. McConnell.  Of course after he drowns while participating in a test dive of a CSS Hunley replica, we'd get Governor Bobby Harrell which wouldn't be too bad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies