Knife Control
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:53:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Knife Control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Knife Control  (Read 4687 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »

Yesterday's carnage in the Akihabara district of Tokyo (link) shows that we need knife control.  How many more people have to die at the hands of knife-wielding lunatics before governments will act?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »

This issue is already being discussed in various locales throughout the world. It's only a matter of time before central governments begin to follow the lead. For example, Oklahoma's HoR recently debated Bill 1492 entitled, 'Initiative to Regulate Sharp Edges' which would require all knives (defined as 'thin, tapering surfaces attached or unattached to a holding device') to be registered individually and require a license to handle, the requirements of which involve a criminal background check, urinalysis, a game of euchre, and a cooking course, among other things. This, to me, is a great leap forward in the War on Edges.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:07:52 PM »

This issue is already being discussed in various locales throughout the world. It's only a matter of time before central governments begin to follow the lead. For example, Oklahoma's HoR recently debated Bill 1492 entitled, 'Initiative to Regulate Sharp Edges' which would require all knives (defined as 'thin, tapering surfaces attached or unattached to a holding device') to be registered individually and require a license to handle, the requirements of which involve a criminal background check, urinalysis, a game of euchre, and a cooking course, among other things. This, to me, is a great leap forward in the War on Edges.

HAHAHA I really hope you are joking. I am not quite sure what kind of idiocity OK is capable of.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »

Ahahahaha. Tik, you do realize the British actually are looking into things like that right?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »

Ban the blunt objects too, before they kill again!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 03:09:32 PM »

For that matter, baseball bats and hockey sticks seem quite dangerous.  Also, we should people's chin if they look like balls
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

Let's also take away pencils and scissors, lest someone die in a school stabbing.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 05:58:38 PM »

Let's have everyone stay in padded glass bubbles for our own safety.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 11:59:29 PM »

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to use a gun?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:00:01 AM »

Yes, yes it would.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »

Let's ban cars, they kill thousands of people!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 08:37:57 AM »

Sensible suggestion, though I'd make an exception for vans etc provided they're actually used for actual work.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »

Wrong thread, Jedi. Tongue

This is the thread where we advocate stuff to ban that the left hates, not what the greens want to ban.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

Unlike handguns, knifes (and cars) have primary purposes other than to kill people and the vast majority of times they're used, they're used for that primary purpose.

It's hilarious how conservatives think that people are dumb enough to fall for that obviously terrible comparison.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »

Unlike handguns, knifes (and cars) have primary purposes other than to kill people and the vast majority of times they're used, they're used for that primary purpose.

It's hilarious how conservatives think that people are dumb enough to fall for that obviously terrible comparison.

I know, I use my combat knives in the kitchen all the time!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »

I'll tell you the real difference: Knives are cool, only cowards like guns.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »

Ernest,

These things are a matter of proportion, like all such proposals. Knives have many more day-to-day usages and would be much harder to 'control', while at the same time being far less potentially destructive than guns. The amount of time it takes to stab 7 people and the amount of time it takes to shoot 7 people are incomparable. The fact that this lunatic didn't have access to a gun, particularly a semi-auto, probably saved many lives.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »

I'll tell you the real difference: Knives are cool, only cowards like guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOXLryzs8g&feature=related
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »

The fact that this lunatic didn't have access to a gun, particularly a semi-auto, probably saved many lives.

Seconded.  It also didn't hurt for killing spree purposes that he first plowed into the crowd before stabbing people.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 05:16:15 PM »

I know, I use my combat knives in the kitchen all the time!

The problem being that combat knives are not, to my knowledge, substantially more dangerous than kitchen knives of the sort used to carve steak or cut large loaves of bread. Meanwhile, guns have no practical purpose: You use them to kill people or to kill animals, the latter generally for "sport" in what is possibly the lamest sport ever. (Hunting is occasionally necessary for population control, but rules about hunting bucks v does, for example, are far too loosely enforced/applied.)

But I'm rambling. Suffice to say, the parallel is of marginal relevance at best and an obvious straw man that weakens its own argument at worst.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »

Guns can also be used for hunting and target practice.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »

Who hunts with a handgun?
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2008, 10:51:52 AM by Mango »

Yesterday's carnage in the Akihabara district of Tokyo (link) shows that we need knife control.  How many more people have to die at the hands of knife-wielding lunatics before governments will act?

If he had a gun, he would have killed 30 people instead of 7.

If Japan had U.S-like gun laws, he would have had a gun. And many more people would have died.

If you cant understand that, you're not going to get very far.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »

I'm amazed at the people who think I was seriously proposing this.  I thought I had enough of a reputation here that people would realize I had my tongue planted firmly in cheek.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »

Who hunts with a handgun?

Harry,

I do.

There is a special season on Javelina in my state which is restricted to magnum handguns and bows.

Its a lot more challenging than with a long gun.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies