Bush: We can't win war on terror
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush: We can't win war on terror
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush: We can't win war on terror  (Read 2865 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:03:49 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/30/bush.terror.ap/index.html
Reds4

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 06:09:28 PM »

Not the best choice of words, but I definitely understand what he means. He is saying that there will always be those who hate the U.S. We can never end that. I wouldn't have said we can't win though, doesn't sound good.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 09:03:07 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2004, 09:04:07 PM by Philip »

We can't lose, but he's right that we can't 'win' the way you would with a normal country.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 01:47:42 AM »

Bush is an idiot.  The only war on freedom is coming from his administration taking away our rights with stupid laws like the Patriot Act.

freedomburns
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:33:08 AM »

Unfortunately, GW inherited some degree of propensity for malapropism from his father.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:06:59 AM »

Bush is an idiot.  The only war on freedom is coming from his administration taking away our rights with stupid laws like the Patriot Act.

freedomburns

When are they coming to take you away?  Wink
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 02:32:11 AM »

freedomburns

When are they coming to take you away?  Wink

I am not afraid.  Smiley

P.S.  Cheney is an evil reptile with a science laboratory in the White House basement where he is working on a death ray.  I know it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 07:10:40 AM »

*dies laughin*  I hope so.  Let him aim it at the Middle East and solve most of our problems.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 01:40:40 PM »

Not the best choice of words, but I definitely understand what he means. He is saying that there will always be those who hate the U.S. We can never end that. I wouldn't have said we can't win though, doesn't sound good.

“In an interview two days ago, the president said we can’t win the war on terror,” Kerry said. “I absolutely disagree. With the right policies, this is a war we can win, this is a war we must win, and this is a war we will win.  We’re the can do people, and there’s nothing we can’t do if we put our mind and muscle into it.  In the end, the terrorists will lose, and we will win.  The future doesn’t belong to fear, it belongs to freedom.”
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 01:48:28 PM »

If Kerry's going to try to play the though-on-terror president, he's going to lose in a landslide.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 05:08:01 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2004, 05:08:55 PM by phknrocket1k »

The tom-toms are beating, and the word is going out to neocons worldwide: Save yourselves! Anybody but Bush!

Yes, I know it must be hard to believe, since loyalty is such a big deal to the neocons (as in they dont have any), but the word on the street is that, since the Great Cause of Democracy (and Richard Perle's bank balance) has been betrayed; and the Prez is a goner, come November, anyway it's time for the neocons to go into opposition.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 04:42:48 AM »

This is Bush's "Eastern Eurpope is  not under Soviet domination" statement. It might as well bring him down. In his convention.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 07:31:22 AM »

Explain why.  Isn't the fall of the Soviet Union not a good thing?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 03:58:29 AM »

I'll explain. Ford said it during a debate with Carter (during the Cold War) and it single-handedly destroyed him.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2004, 11:41:39 AM »

I'll explain. Ford said it during a debate with Carter (during the Cold War) and it single-handedly destroyed him.

You also said why it will not have teh same effect.  Ford was in the debates, and when given the chance to clarify he fumbled.  Bush was never given a chance by the media to clarify, yet he has.  

If Bush said this in a debate, it would have the same effect, if Kerry can start closing the gap now.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2004, 03:24:27 PM »

Come on, we all know what the President meant, stop trying to play word games.  An obvious funble of words but nothing more.  Someone will always hate America because we embody things that they do not have.  It has happened to every superpower since the beginning of time.  If you ask me the dems are just reaching for a bone, "Oh look at what he said, he thinks that we will accomplish nothing through war, Kerry can win any war because he is a super-awesome Vet" even if the war is unprecedented in history and commands a new defination of victory and war itself, absurd.  We are no longer living in the days of the treaty of Westfalen, we are not fighting a sovereign nation in singular or plural.  Is it possible to wipe out every ounce of hate on the globe? I think not.  
PrisonerOfHope
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.70, S: -5.50

P
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2004, 09:43:59 PM »

So now Bush has flip-flopped again ... the war is, is not, is winnable.  I guess nobody understood his nuance.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2004, 09:49:15 PM »

No, it means you didn't understand it. And you don't understand a lot of things, so it doesn't really count.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2004, 10:13:11 PM »

Come on, we all know what the President meant, stop trying to play word games.  An obvious funble of words but nothing more.  Someone will always hate America because we embody things that they do not have.  It has happened to every superpower since the beginning of time.  If you ask me the dems are just reaching for a bone, "Oh look at what he said, he thinks that we will accomplish nothing through war, Kerry can win any war because he is a super-awesome Vet" even if the war is unprecedented in history and commands a new defination of victory and war itself, absurd.  We are no longer living in the days of the treaty of Westfalen, we are not fighting a sovereign nation in singular or plural.  Is it possible to wipe out every ounce of hate on the globe? I think not.  

The "gotcha" game is pretty stupid and both sides perpetuate it (notice all of the RNC speeches with the "Before I voted before it" quotes?).

I wish it would end, but both sides are, perhaps correctly, afraid of their opponent's going negative when they stay positive.  Perhaps it's the prisoner's dilemma.
b_rules

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2004, 11:51:29 PM »

i don't know why liberals are attacking bush on this because it seems as though bush has (finally!) come around to the liberal way of thinking about terrorism.  

they're not going to sign a peace treaty.  we will not win the war by killing or imprisoning them (paraphrasing bill clinton here).  but we will win the war of ideas, because political, religious, and economic freedom always triumphs.  when we win the war of ideas, then there are no terrorists, because they are too busy exploring their political, religious, and economic freedoms to want to kill themselves just to take a few of us out too.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2004, 03:17:27 PM »

We can win the war on terror.

We can win the war on terror by opening up our borders to trade, creating more economic possibilities for other countries. We can also pull out our troops not just in Iraq, but all over the world. After we capture those responsible for 9/11, we have no right to be meddling in other countries' business.

That's how we win the war on terror.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies