Please don't get mad at me, but why did Gore lose Tennessee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:30:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Please don't get mad at me, but why did Gore lose Tennessee?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Please don't get mad at me, but why did Gore lose Tennessee?  (Read 35544 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »

Re Adlai: In other words:

2000:

https://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/TREND/pe2000tnd.png

2004:

https://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/TREND/pe2004tnd.png

Thank you.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »

My prediction of the 1992 map without Perot...

Perot makes all the difference for George Bush. It has often been suggested that when polled, 2/3 of the Perot voters said that they would have voted for Bush and the other 1/3 would have voted for Clinton.

That wasn't true based on the exit polls for 1992, which show they would've split evenly....so I'm not sure who is "often suggesting" it, but they aren't basing it off of any empirical evidence.

Also, don't forget that a lot of Perot's voters simply would've stayed home in 1992 if he hadn't run....and that they were pretty universally dissatisfied with the state of affairs in the nation, thus making them quite disinclined to vote to reelect the incumbent.

I think Perot did help Clinton, but no more than 1-2 percent nationally, and may have actually helped Bush in some areas, such as the Northeast (though Clinton won all of it anyway).
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »

I love the "Gore was perceived as a liberal" comments.  Sure, he twists in the wind as much as any politico seeking more power, but the guy certainly leans pretty far to the left for an American mainstream politician.
Maybe now but certainly not then.
WillK

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »

I mean, Clinton won the state in both '92 and '96 (even though the Republican candidates would have won it if Ross Perot wasn't on the ballot).  He was a senator for the state from 1985 to 1993, and was close with the state.   ...

You were doing ok until the last part of your comment. 
During the Clinton years TN was moving in a conservative direction and Gore was moving in a liberal direction. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

^^^^^^

This. Gore had been in D.C. for 8 years, and he wasn't really associated with Tennessee anymore. Even when he was a "Tennessee guy", that was the pre-1994 Tennessee as you note, and the politics of the state changed completely right after he left. Had he remained a Senator there it's not even certain he would have been re-elected. But by 2000 he was certainly a D.C. guy. Early in the season his campaign HQ was based on D.C., and he then moved it to Tennessee in what was widely praised as the correct decision but also seen as a crass political move.
bhouston79
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »

Gore lost Tennessee because he choose not to campaign there at all.  Gore could have won his home state with just a little bit of effort.  He only lost the state by 4 percentage points, and that was without any campaigning in the state.  Gore carrying Tennessee would have made the difference too, as the Volunteer state's 11 electoral votes would have put him over the top.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »

Because he flip-flopped on abortion and gay rights once he became VP. Also, his lack of charisma and Bush Jr.'s Southern heritage helped Gore lose TN as well.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »

He really hadn't lived there for 8 years and even before that he was in the senate and not living there. The democrats changed noticeably throughout the 90's in terms of public image and notion of the southern democrat had by 2000 been gone.
cpeeks
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »

Gore never even made an attempt there he lost by 40,000 votes, if he puts his efforts there instead of florida he wins.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »

Gore did a number of things wrong.

1. his home state
2. pulling out of Ohio
3. not being able to win Arkansas or long time West Virginia
4. gun control cost him AR, TN, WV, and OH
5. being boring
6. I'm considering adding him to my list of worst candidates with Mondale and Dukakis.
7. couldn't capitalize on Clinton's approval ratings
cpeeks
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »

Lol George Bush's souther heritage? REALLY, REALLY REALLY? lololololol He was born in New Haven, Conneticut, and educated in ivy leauge schools. He was nothing more than an ivy leauge northeastern elitist with a souther drawl. Southern herigate get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »

Lol George Bush's souther heritage? REALLY, REALLY REALLY? lololololol He was born in New Haven, Conneticut, and educated in ivy leauge schools. He was nothing more than an ivy leauge northeastern elitist with a souther drawl. Southern herigate get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He lived in Texas almost his entire life (he moved there as a kid) and he was governor there for six years. If that isn't SOuthern heritage, I don't know what is.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »

While it's true that he wasn't born in Texas, he's the textbook Texan as I myself hope to be someday. I wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could. That's the way to put it. Let the Lone Star rise again.
cpeeks
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2010, 10:12:30 PM by cpeeks »

Born in conneticut to a northeastern elitist family, no sir i am sorry he was carpetbagger, he was not a southerner. I am from the south just because you get transplanted here and can talk a good game it doesnt make you a southerner.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

Born in conneticut to a northeastern elitist family, no sir i am sorry he was carpetbagger, he was not a southerner. I am from the south just because you get transplanted here and can talk a good game it doesnt make you a southerner.

I'm sure most Southererns did not view Bush Jr. as a carpetbagger. I mean, even Lincoln was born in Kentucky, yet Illinoisians treated and still treat him as one of their own.
cpeeks
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »

Most educated southerners do, but Bush is good at appealing to the common man so he could play off act like a southerner.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:34 PM »

Most educated southerners do, but Bush is good at appealing to the common man so he could play off act like a southerner.

I agree with you about the second part. Many ordinary Southerners thought Bush Jr. was one of them, despite the fact that he was rich. Do you think Obama is a carpetbagger? Because by your reasoning, he is--he was born in Hawaii, and then moved to Illinois later.
cpeeks
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

LOL. A carpet bagger is a yankee who moved south to get rich. So no i wouldnt classify Obama as a carpet bagger.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »

That ranch he used as a prop probably helped.

June 12 1999: Bush declares his candidacy
June 22 1999: Word leaks out that Bush is looking to buy a ranch
Dec. 10 2008: Bush prepares to sell ranch
Jan. 20 2009: Bush leaves office

Bush didn't even try to hide his phoniness here. The lapdog media was never going to call him out on it.

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 11:05:32 PM »

That ranch he used as a prop probably helped.

June 12 1999: Bush declares his candidacy
June 22 1999: Word leaks out that Bush is looking to buy a ranch
Dec. 10 2008: Bush prepares to sell ranch
Jan. 20 2009: Bush leaves office

Bush didn't even try to hide his phoniness here. The lapdog media was never going to call him out on it.

I didn't know Bush sold his ranch. I thought he would just visit it on vacations instead of living there all the time. What source did you get that info from?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »

LOL. A carpet bagger is a yankee who moved south to get rich. So no i wouldnt classify Obama as a carpet bagger.

That's the traditional definition. The more modern definition is someone who moves from any one state to another (typically to further one's career or political ambitions). For isntance, many people called Hillary Clinton a carpetbagger when she moved from the South up north to New York in order to get elected to the Senate.
cpeeks
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »

I meant it in the traditional sense, thats why the Bush family moved to Texas, and he is correct thats why Bush bought the ranch so he could pretend to be  texan.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »

While I agree that moving to a different state/region, doesn't automatically make you a Southerner/Northerner/etc., but Bush clearly has a lifestyle/values/personal qualities far more similar to the stereotypical Southerner than the stereotypical Northeasterner.
cpeeks
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 05:29:01 PM by cpeeks »

Explain to me please what values Bush possessed?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »

Explain to me please what values Bush possessed?
The only thing Bush values:

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies